Is This a Good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
There is a 2500 psi scuba compressor for sale ($300) on Craig's List near me but I know nothing about scuba compressors. Does this sound like a reasonable price and should I expect to be able to find parts/filters for such a compressor? All but one of my tanks are 2250 psi so this ought to do it for me. Thanks. I'm posting a link so wish me luck. I seem to have trouble posting pics here.

Compressor

Looks like a Cornelius. If all the pieces are there and it works I would say it is definitely worth the price. Some of the early filter systems were not as efficient as today but were plenty good enough if properly maintained.

Thanks captain! I figure it would pay for itself in VIPs alone after a couple of years. Right now I get free electricity so my fills would be almost free too (except for filters and oil, etc).

It is supposedly in ready-to-use condition :D

James

Thanks captain! I'll check out Frogman62's site. I bought it last night and filled my first tank tonight :D One SPG said 2600 psi and another said 2400. It took about 30 minutes or so but I'm in no big hurry.

I downloaded the manual from VDH and it is indeed a Cornelius 130R1500 in good working condition. It came with filter materials and some oil but I'm going to be looking for oil immediately.

It begins to release air through the overpressure valve at about 2700 psi as indicated on the built-in gauge which is vibrating all over the place while it's running. After the tank cooled the pressure dropped to about 2300 psi according to my SPG which reads lower than the other SPG. Next I'll have to try filling it in water and possibly topping it off after it has cooled. Either way I'm very happy with my purchase :D I read an old post that said these things usually go for about $1000 so it looks like I got a very good deal. I've also read these can be adjusted to 3000 psi but 2500 is good since I only have one aluminum tank (that I'm willing to use) and the way I see it is it should breathe just as long as a Steel 72 filled to the same pressure.

The water bath will help a little but IMO it's not worth the effort. Just fill the tank, let it cool down, overnight if possible and top it off the next day.

I made a water bath from a length of 8" pvc pipe capped on one end. The pipe is the same as the length of a 72 but not with the valve. That way the valve never can go below the water. I drill and tapped near the bottom and installed a pipe to garden hose adapter. I keep the water slightly cracked open during filling and it overflows over the the top. That keeps a flow of cool water always moving up along the tank.
Considering fill time is about 20 minutes and if the water is cool there is usually no need to top off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom