Is This a Good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duckbill: I have checked very carefully for leaks and found one at the swivel connector for the yoke. I checked it with soapy water immediately after turning on the compressor. I have not checked for leaks on the compressor itself mainly for the reasons you mentioned. It seemed to be filling at just below the 2 cfm that it is rated for so it doesn't seem like there are likely any other leaks, at least not big enough to reduce the fill rate significantly. I hope. I checked for tightness on all connections/screws. I don't see any way to replace the seal on the swivel. I tried cleaning it with soapy water while it was unpressurized and lubed it with LPS silicone and swiveled it many times. It seems to be leaking less.

I had been waiting for the system to pressurize to about 1500 or so before opening the valve on the tank. Will that help my backflow pressure on the filter? It seems like it would, but perhaps I'm missing something obvious (other than it should be between 1700 and 2000).

And yes, how did I ever get along without a compressor? So many times I thought of buying one but never did. And so many excuses for not buying one too. If I get a headache from it I'll just take some Advil. And I am having fun with it :D About 27 years ago I wanted to go diving in El Mar de Cortez, but the hotel I was going to stay at didn't have a compressor. Now all I will need is a long extension cord, a small generator, and make sure of which way the wind is blowing. And the right filter, of course.

Oh, and I wacked the fitting on the filter and it didn't help :|

Opening the valve at 1500 won't help because as soon as you open it the pressure is back down to whatever the tank pressure is. You need a back pressure or priority valve as it is sometimes call to hold 2000 psi on the systems no matter what the pressure is in the tank. You can install it between the filter and the fill whip. The one in the link should be all that's needed.
A swivel connection should have an O ring that can be changed, can you post a picture of it.

Scuba Compressor

Thanks captain, I get it now. I posted a pic of the yoke but it's not there now :shocked2: I'll try it again.

Yoke.jpg

Back. One of these shows the swivel connection on the yoke. I also took apart the filter housing revealing the cartridge inside. It is: BAUER (?, hard to make out) 04852-410. Is this a repackable filter or am I supposed to replace the whole thing? Also pictured are felt discs, rings, and an O-ring that came with the compressor. The felt discs are too big for the filter cartridge and I don't see any place where the felt rings might fit into. The O-ring could possibly be for the moisture seperator.Yoke Swivel.jpgOpen Filter plus Discs & Rings (1).jpgOpen Filter plus Discs & Rings (2).jpg

That is not supposed to be a swivel. It needs to be tighten or it will leak.

A similar fitting has been adapted as a swivel for SPG by adding a spool with two O-rings, but it was not originally designed to be a swivel. The early SPG did not swivel. The small spool was added later.

In the case of you filling adapter I don't think that anyone would try to make it into a swivel. The seal is metal to metal so it does require a clean connection and to be tighten.

You might want to try playing around with that screw on the top of your filter housing. Tighten it down some while the compressor is on and see if you start to build up some back pressure. Otherwise, that valve Captain linked to would be a very worthwhile investment. I didn't know they came as in-line units like that. Pretty neat. (Thanks Captain!)

It is: BAUER (?, hard to make out) 04852-410. Is this a repackable filter or am I supposed to replace the whole thing?

That is exactly the same cartridge that is in mine. I'll try to explain how I go about filling mine.

Re-packing the Purifier Cartridge (Bauer #04852-410):
Order of filling:
a) Polyester filter, 5-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T11
b) Polyester filter, 25-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T14
c) Insert toe of nylon stocking into cartridge to hold the remainder of the material.
Into the open top of the nylon add:
d) Activated charcoal, about 1/2 whiskey shot (5/8 - 3/4 fl. oz. measure)
e) Polyester filter, 25-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T14
f) Fill remainder of space (about 1 shot, or 1 1/4 fl. oz.) with Vaporshell 13X micro sieve
g) cut top of nylon one inch above end of cartridge and fold over to seal contents
g) Perforated cover disc
h) retainer clip

The filter discs are cut from filter sheet as per the McMaster-Carr stock numbers (12"x12" sheets).

The nylon stocking is reusable. Just be sure not to stretch it while inserting or filling it or it may be too short next time you fill it. I use the handle of a scredriver of the appropriate diameter to push the toe of the nylon into the cartridge and to seat the filter discs. Oh, and please don't use a used nylon for breathing air. Yuck!:no:

Last edited:
The fitting is an AN flair fitting and as Luis said is not a swivel. It uses a metal to metal seal and if it leaks when tightened it is probably bad and needs to be replaced. Tighten it up and see if the leak stops.

Dang, I think I need to get more sleep or something. I sure thought it was a swivel like on a SPG.

Duckbill: I'm in trouble with your instructions--I'm not married and I don't drink :| Maybe I can find a girlfriend who drinks to I can get some nylons and a shot glass :wink:

Just kidding. I'll get the stuff that you suggested.

The valve on top of my filter that "might" be a back pressure regulator is really, really tight. But everything looks very sturdy so I should be able to get it to turn without damage.

Thanks everyone! This place is great!

The easiest way to tell if it is back pressure valve is to install a pressure gauge between the compressor and the filter. It really should have one there to be able to see what pressure it is set at and adjust it to the correct pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom