Is This a Good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the oil I got this from the vintage scuba site regarding Cornelius compressor oil
"My compressor is a 130R1500 and I love it. I use Mobil Jet ll in mine. Anderol 500 and Chemlube 201 work well also. I perform an oil change every 25 hours of use. It only holds about a pint"

I ordered a quart of Mobil Jet II on eBay for $15.99 with free shipping.

I have been using medical grade mineral oil from Walmart

As far as the in adequate cooling, I don't see that as a problem if you have a good three stage filter with molecular sieve to remove any remaining water.

I've read that same post on the vintage site. I've probably read just about everything on the internet about the Cornelius. On one or two occasions I've read that if you have been using mineral oil and switch to synthetic it can cause old sludge to break loose and cause some kind of problems. Fortunately my compressor came with synthetic in it so I think I have managed to avoid that particular problem.

I think what the guy at Nuvair was alluding to is that if the oil overheats it might cause the formation of CO which might find it's way into the scuba tank however with the fan on top of the compressor it seems to me that any dangerous pollutants escaping would be thoroughly blown away but there is always the possibility of CO getting past the piston rings. Presumably this danger is reduced considerably by using the synthetic oil. I fill my tanks outside and preferably with a breeze blowing. Is there an easy, economical way to test the air for CO?

I'm gonna go to the synthetic and drain it after A few hours of run time and see if I get any sludge.

Based on the tech data Mobil Jet II oil will not oxidize at 400 deg. F. I would think the oil would have to oxidize to produce CO??

Based on the tech data Mobil Jet II oil will not oxidize at 400 deg. F. I would think the oil would have to oxidize to produce CO??

Oh yea, he said he uses Mobil Jet II. I was sure that was synthetic. But then, what I don't know about compressor oil could fill a large book.

I don't know at what temperature oil oxidizes but I would have guesses it was higher than 400 F.

Cornelius compressor oil
Based on the information below I'm guessing that the Coltri 751 and the Nuvair 751 are probably Chemlube 751.
There is a big difference in the viscosity of the Different oil discussed for use the Cornelius compressor Model 130-R-1500
Below are the specifications for the various oil's. It is interesting to the note that I also have a small Cornelius 32-R-300 1500 PSI compressor that came with the label on the oil pan that reads "FILL WITH MIL-L-6085A OIL which is Chemlube 201, The lowest viscosity of all the oil listed with the next closest to be the Mobil Jet II.

Nuvair 751:
SAE Grade = 40
ISO viscosity Grade = 150
Viscosity at 40°C = 146
Viscosity at 100°C = ??
Flashpoint °C = 271
Flashpoint °F = 520

Coltri 751:
SAE Grade = ??
ISO viscosity Grade = ??
Viscosity at 40°C = 146
Viscosity at 100°C = ??
Flashpoint °C = 271
Flashpoint °F = 520

Chemlube 751:
SAE Grade = 40
ISO viscosity Grade = 150
Viscosity at 40°C = 146.5
Viscosity at 100°C = 13.3
Flashpoint °C = 271
Flashpoint °F = 520

Anderol 500:
SAE Grade = 40
ISO viscosity Grade = 100
Viscosity at 40°C = 98.8
Viscosity at 100°C = 10.4
Flashpoint °C = 240
Flashpoint °F = 464

Chemlube 201 MIL-L-6085A
SAE Grade = ??
ISO viscosity Grade = ??
Viscosity at 40°C = 13.3
Viscosity at 100°C = 3.6
Flashpoint °C = 199
Flashpoint °F = 391

MOBIL JetOil II Mil-PRF-23699F :
SAE Grade = ??
ISO viscosity Grade = ??
Viscosity at 40°C = 27.6
Viscosity at 100°C = 5.1
Flashpoint °C = 270
Flashpoint °F = 518

Attachments

• IMG_5327.JPG
    IMG_5327.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
Cornelius compressor oil
Based on the information below I'm guessing that the Coltri 751 and the Nuvair 751 are probably Chemlube 751.
There is a big difference in the viscosity of the Different oil discussed for use the Cornelius compressor Model 130-R-1500
Below are the specifications for the various oil's. It is interesting to the note that I also have a small Cornelius 32-R-300 1500 PSI compressor that came with the label on the oil pan that reads "FILL WITH MIL-L-6085A OIL which is Chemlube 201, The lowest viscosity of all the oil listed with the next closest to be the Mobil Jet II.

Wow, great info! Thanks for posting that. Perhaps they should make it a "sticky."

Someone at Nuvair told me that their 751 is equivalent to Chemlube 751 and your data confirms that. I ended up getting the Nuvair mainly because the shipping was a lot less. He told me not to use Chemlube 201.

Has your Cornelius 1500 psi compressor been modified for higher pressures?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom