Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do dive with a copy of a passport....that is not what you stated. I never said that hotels are liars. I do consider others opinons however if you think I should change my opinion just because yours differs from mine.....you are going to be very disappointed. A couple irrational individuals screaming anti-Bonaire rhetoric on a website will not turn me against SHORE DIVERS HEAVEN. I will also not change my mind because a couple crimes do actually happen. They happen close to home but I am not moving where I live....I am going around using my brain and therefore avoiding the crimes. Third world? Bonaire is NOT a third world country so why would that matter? I have spent time in many places....Mexico (5 or 6 places including MX City which is not a safe city), China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Barbados, Bonaire, St. Thomas, Turks & Caicos, PR, DR, Taiwan, USA, Canada......others I am sure. This list means nothing other than to say I agree, I have not been to a true third world country. But again, it means nothing in this discussion. In all of these places I tried my best to NOT do anything stupid that would get my ass robbed. Guess what? So far my record is 100%.

Again, a little common sense and intelligence can prevent most crimes but not all. knowing this, I will go back to Bonaire and I can almost guarantee I will not be the victim of a crime based on history. If I do become a victim of a petty crime, I will not become an irrational Bonaire Basher.

Oh so now the hotel association as well as the divers are all liars. Maybe you should read a few things including other people's opinions and observations and consider them in addition to your own. They might be right.
You obviously haven't traveled to many remote third world countries. I've been stopped for walking down the street, driving down the street and for being on a dive boat before. You never know.
I'm not sure about Bonaire, but in many countries you must have your passport on you at all times (in all honesty, a copy will do).
I always have my credit card (not usable on many islands) and my wallet with local currency and I lock them in the glove box if I'm on the road. I've never had a problem on Bonaire or any other island but it appears others have. I believe them.

By the way if you were to take the time to read my posts, I am not saying crime does not happen. I am saying that most of the crimes are preventable and avoidable with some common sense. There are also a few crimes that are not. Most however, ARE. Locking your wallet in your glove box? I do not do that at home and would not on Bonaire.

I don't believe you could have missed my point any more if you'd shot in the opposite direction.
Charlotte's crime won't deter me any more than Bonaire's will. The only difference is that in Charlotte I'll be armed.
Rick

That explains a lot.

I do dive with a copy of a passport....that is not what you stated. I never said that hotels are liars. I do consider others opinons however if you think I should change my opinion just because yours differs from mine.....you are going to be very disappointed. A couple irrational individuals screaming anti-Bonaire rhetoric on a website will not turn me against SHORE DIVERS HEAVEN. I will also not change my mind because a couple crimes do actually happen. They happen close to home but I am not moving where I live....I am going around using my brain and therefore avoiding the crimes. Third world? Bonaire is NOT a third world country so why would that matter? I have spent time in many places....Mexico (5 or 6 places including MX City which is not a safe city), China, Hong Kong, Thailand, Barbados, Bonaire, St. Thomas, Turks & Caicos, PR, DR, Taiwan, USA, Canada......others I am sure. This list means nothing other than to say I agree, I have not been to a true third world country. But again, it means nothing in this discussion. In all of these places I tried my best to NOT do anything stupid that would get my ass robbed. Guess what? So far my record is 100%.

Again, a little common sense and intelligence can prevent most crimes but not all. knowing this, I will go back to Bonaire and I can almost guarantee I will not be the victim of a crime based on history. If I do become a victim of a petty crime, I will not become an irrational Bonaire Basher.

The reason for mentioning third world countries was that you seem to indicate I might be some sort of "criminal" traveler getting stopped by the police. It just happens in some places. Better getting stopped by the police than getting ripped off however.

I'm not sure what is irrational about discussing crime on Bonaire but what seems irrational is pretending it's not a serious problem when even the hotel association seems to think the island has a serious problem that effects tourism. There words not mine. I've said it several time already. I like Bonaire. I don't bash the diving, the resorts or the people. I bash the police and the laws for not supporting the toursim industry and local merchants and vendors.

I guess I'll just agree to disagree. I don't see where that makes me a basher but then again, everyone to their own opinions.

I have been reading the Bonaire crime posts for years without comment; but I must ask: Do any of you guys actually speak to the police on the island?

I do, although I have never experienced any crime. through my conversations with the police: it is tough to enforce laws for petty things when many are related in various degrees of consanguinity. Bad guys do come from the other islands and the mainland to prey on the tourists in various fashions. One way is to make the run from the mainland once a month or so and pick up/purchase the items stolen by locals and run back to the mainland to sell. There are difficulties in prosecution as well due to the independent status of the islands. I am unsure if the ABCs have become states of the Kingdom of the Netherlands at this time; that was the plan. This would change things legally and enforcementwise.

Suffice it to say, the police do not enjoy any crime any more than the average visitor does...

Show me the posting on SB complaining about theft in Hawaii.

:sblogo: is largely populated by divers and their comments, thus- Hawaii doesn't come up a whole lot here. It is in the same general category as Ohio and the Quarry- a divers sees water and all of a sudden, if it's the only show in town, it becomes a big deal. The girls wear less clothing in Hawaii, so there's that.

Never mind! My brain is starting to hurt!

Most excellent :doctor: This is the first sign towards a potential recovery. I wouldn't be too hopeful, but miracles do happen. You could buy a video all about that.

What would you do if one of these happened and you didn't have your wallet to pay the tow truck? What would you do if you didn't have your drivers license and passport and you got in a wreck? What would you do if you had an innocent run in with the police and you didn't have your passport? What about stolen glasses and you can't drive?

NCChuck..No one on Bonaire walks around with their Passport UNLESS they intend on doing official business at a Bank/Ins agency etc. Your passport should be kept in a locked safe where you are staying.
Drivers license.. Hey simply make a color copy of your license & leave it in the glove compartment. If you want to make it more "official looking" laminate it.
I really have no idea what an innocent run in with the police" means.
Stolen glasses and you can't drive? I suggest you get corrective eye sx..Really it's pretty commonplace nowadays.:cool2:

What people also seem to forget all about is HOW one dives on Bonaire versus Hawaii or Cozumel or FL or Fiji or anywhere else.

You drive a vehicle to a remote spot on the island, you pull of the road (sometimes far and sometimes the shoulder only), you suit up and then you spend an hour or more underwater. Many sites I found we were the only divers or maybe a pair from maybe 4 or 6 divers total. This is significantly different in comparison to Cozumel for example......you get out of your room and walk to the dock or perhaps take a cab to the dive shop.

For all of those perople that believe that crime is out of control on Bonaire, I have an experiment for you.

Go to a poor part of a moderate sized city, park your car at the back of a deserted lot with a sign at the road that says "HEY, MY CAR IS HERE AND I WILL BE GONE FOR 1 HOUR!!!". Have yourself and 9 friends do exactly the same thing. Do this for 1 year and report back how many times you got robbed. I bet the damages and crimes would be much worse than you would expoerience on Bonaire. I bet you would several times come back to find your cars missing altogether. And guess what? The police here would take a report but that is likely where it would end.

Report back in 12 months with your findings.

:deadhorse:

When minds are closed, and mouths are open there will be little change.

Like beating the dead horse, it might help vent anger, but the horse ain't gonna change it's attitude one bit!

Poor horsie :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom