Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did an interesting search on Google in an attempt to find information on Crime in Hawaii and Bonaire. There appears to be plenty in both places. Again, not really comparable since Hawaii has tens of thousands of visitors on the islands at any one time. I didn't spend the time to determine actually statistics since Bonaire doesn't have any.
Most interesting however was an article published nearly 7 years ago by Bohata (Bonaire Hotel association). The article indicates they were losing a million dollars a year in tourism revenue because of the reputation for petty theft. The article goes on to complain about the local policing effort and confirms my suspicions about juvevine justice. At that time, it was non existent by law. I don't know if that has changed.
I suggest you read this article. Then search the Internet and see if you can find similar complaints by the tourist associations on Hawaii complaining about the lack of police protection by visitors. This is the island merchants themselves complaining about security. What else do you want. Page Title

Having dove both.

Crime in Hawaii is 10X worse than Boanire!
Show us the statistics to prove this or even infer it. Show me the posting on SB complaining about theft in Hawaii. Get real. Try to use real comparative facts.

Show us the statistics to prove this or even infer it. Show me the posting on SB complaining about theft in Hawaii. Get real. Try to use real comparative facts.

Why when very few others do around here? I am not supporting the claim against Hawaii however I am defending Bonaire in a resonable manner (unlike some of the Bonaire bashers).

The bottom line is, on Bonaire, you and your belongings are safe as long as you use an ounce if intelligence. There are definitely cases of theft that prove this wrong but I believe it to be a very small number. Many people would not come back and say...."Yeah I got robbed but I was supid and left my Ipod on the dash.". Most come back claiming innocence and play the victim irrespective of reality.

Why when very few others do around here? I am not supporting the claim against Hawaii however I am defending Bonaire in a resonable manner (unlike some of the Bonaire bashers).

The bottom line is, on Bonaire, you and your belongings are safe as long as you use an ounce if intelligence. There are definitely cases of theft that prove this wrong but I believe it to be a very small number. Many people would not come back and say...."Yeah I got robbed but I was supid and left my Ipod on the dash.". Most come back claiming innocence and play the victim irrespective of reality.

Again, you appear to be blaming the divers. What do you suggest we do for the gas thefts? What about tire thefts? What would you do if one of these happened and you didn't have your wallet to pay the tow truck? What would you do if you didn't have your drivers license and passport and you got in a wreck? What would you do if you had an innocent run in with the police and you didn't have your passport? What about stolen glasses and you can't drive?
Read the article I mentioned and then tell me what you think.

I am blaming the divers....most crimes are easily preventable with an ounce of intelligence. Others happen everywhere.

What do you suggest we do for the gas thefts? Real PITA but more people do not have gas stolen than do have gas stolen.
What about tire thefts? **** happens everywhere. I have seen them in other places.
What would you do if one of these happened and you didn't have your wallet to pay the tow truck? I always bring money and a credit card with me on my dive....but it stays on my person during the dive.
What would you do if you didn't have your drivers license and passport and you got in a wreck? If I got into an an accident on Bonaire, I know I would not have my passport.....it does not go with me on the dives I would have my license because it goes with me on the dive.
What would you do if you had an innocent run in with the police and you didn't have your passport? I am not sure what you do on vacation but I do not get into trouble with the police......"innocent" run-in??? Perhaps you should look at your vacation habits first.
What about stolen glasses and you can't drive? Ask my buddy to dive.

Bottom line is, **** happens everywhere and I am not an irrational person that is going to SCARE THE WORLD just because I read an article. Perhaps you should STOP reading articles and trusting everything you read and get out and live life.

Again, you appear to be blaming the divers. What do you suggest we do for the gas thefts? What about tire thefts? What would you do if one of these happened and you didn't have your wallet to pay the tow truck? What would you do if you didn't have your drivers license and passport and you got in a wreck? What would you do if you had an innocent run in with the police and you didn't have your passport? What about stolen glasses and you can't drive?
Read the article I mentioned and then tell me what you think.

I am blaming the divers....most crimes are easily preventable with an ounce of intelligence. Others happen everywhere.

What do you suggest we do for the gas thefts? Real PITA but more people do not have gas stolen than do have gas stolen.
What about tire thefts? **** happens everywhere. I have seen them in other places.
What would you do if one of these happened and you didn't have your wallet to pay the tow truck? I always bring money and a credit card with me on my dive....but it stays on my person during the dive.
What would you do if you didn't have your drivers license and passport and you got in a wreck? If I got into an an accident on Bonaire, I know I would not have my passport.....it does not go with me on the dives I would have my license because it goes with me on the dive.
What would you do if you had an innocent run in with the police and you didn't have your passport? I am not sure what you do on vacation but I do not get into trouble with the police......"innocent" run-in??? Perhaps you should look at your vacation habits first.
What about stolen glasses and you can't drive? Ask my buddy to dive.

Bottom line is, **** happens everywhere and I am not an irrational person that is going to SCARE THE WORLD just because I read an article. Perhaps you should STOP reading articles and trusting everything you read and get out and live life.

Oh so now the hotel association as well as the divers are all liars. Maybe you should read a few things including other people's opinions and observations and consider them in addition to your own. They might be right.
You obviously haven't traveled to many remote third world countries. I've been stopped for walking down the street, driving down the street and for being on a dive boat before. You never know.
I'm not sure about Bonaire, but in many countries you must have your passport on you at all times (in all honesty, a copy will do).
I always have my credit card (not usable on many islands) and my wallet with local currency and I lock them in the glove box if I'm on the road. I've never had a problem on Bonaire or any other island but it appears others have. I believe them.
I'm not sure what you mean by living life. I think I have. I worked for 40 years. I'm now enjoying life diving around the world. I had the privilege of working in the dive industry on a liveaboard and then at a resort in Roatan and another in Truk Lagoon. That's what I call living. I have well over a thousand dives and visits to dozens of national parks in the US and Canada. That's what I call living. I've visited more than 20 different countries and have been diving in nearly all of them. I've met some terrific people in the most unexpected places in the world. That's what I call living. I became a dive master and then instructor at age 62. Now that's really living.

Rick Murchison, don't visit Charlotte. It's simple, you don't come here and I won't go to Bonaire. :laughing:
I don't believe you could have missed my point any more if you'd shot in the opposite direction.
Charlotte's crime won't deter me any more than Bonaire's will. The only difference is that in Charlotte I'll be armed.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom