Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEWS FLASH!

Herman and I arrived on Bonaire last night and Buddy Dive was still there.
No one has stolen it!

Now back to regularly scheduled whining!

Thank God! I'll be there the first week of March. I will rest much better between now and then.

Thank God! I'll be there the first week of March. I will rest much better between now and then.
:hijack:
I reckon I'd be more concerned about the rumblings below the surface right now...
Various News sources:

Haiti: As many as 200,000 people died in the earthquake that devastated Haiti last Tuesday. “We have already collected around 50,000 dead bodies. We anticipate there will be between 100,000 and 200,000 dead in total, although we will never know the exact number,” Interior Minister Paul Antoine Bien-Aime told Reuters. The 7.0 magnitude quake that hit the impoverished country last Tuesday, January 12, is one of the 10 deadliest earthquakes ever recorded.

Eastern Venezuela: A medium strength earthquake caused panic in the small eastern Venezuelan coastal town of Carupano on Friday and shook the nearby city of Puerto La Cruz which contains an oil refinery, but no damage was reported. The US Geological Service reported the quake was of magnitude 5.6, at a relatively shallow depth of 7.3 miles (12 km). The tremor was felt in a wide area stretching to the Caribbean island of Margarita.

Montserrat: Also on Friday scientists at the Montserrat Volcano Observatory confirmed there was a large pyroclastic lava flow event at Soufriere Hills volcano. The island came to a temporary standstill as everyone took in the sight of the massive ash cloud that exploded but amazingly did not send much ash and no ballistic material into inhabited areas. Several residents remarked that they had not seen an ash cloud that broad since the early days of the volcano’s reawakening in the mid 1990s.

Aruba: Many people in Aruba were awakened at about 4:15am on Tuesday, January 13, by an earthquake in the sea nearby. The quake, which measured 4.2 on the Richter scale, was at a depth of 7 miles (12.2 kilometers). It was located 25 miles (41 kilometers) south of the island. It was felt on several areas of the island, with people coming out of their homes and calling relatives and friends and/or the police to tell what they had experienced. No damage or injuries were reported, although there was mention on radio of some cracks in walls

Bonaire: In mid-September 2009 Bonaire was slightly shaken by a nearby quake. The US Geological Survey reported that a strong 6.4 magnitude earthquake shook the area. The Survey said the epicenter was just 75 miles (120 km.) southeast of the southern tip of Bonaire. It was below the sea at a depth of 6.2 miles (10 km). No damage was reported.
end :hijack:
Rick

:hijack:
I reckon I'd be more concerned about the rumblings below the surface right now...

end :hijack:
Rick

Hmmmmm..........Do I sleep on the rooftop to avoid the tsunami but take the chance the building crumbles?

There goes my peaceful nights. :shakehead:

NEWS FLASH!

Herman and I arrived on Bonaire last night and Buddy Dive was still there.
No one has stolen it!

Now back to regularly scheduled whining!

go down the street and check on Den Laman, that is what I care about:D

I think the attempt to compare Charlotte crime to Bonaire is pretty funny. The county that is included in the statistics for Charlotte has a population of almost 900,000. Nearly all of the crimes are committed on our own citizens. Very few are committed against visitors. Many claims have been made about little improvement in Charlotte. Here are the facts for last year.
All but one of the violent Index crime categories experienced decreases: 2346 robberies were reported compared to 2984, resulting in a decrease of -21.4%
299 rapes were reported compared to 266, resulting in an increase of 12.4%.
2916 aggravated assaults were reported compared to 3731, resulting
in a decrease of -21.8%.
Burglary overall was down -18.5%, (9722 compared to 11933) with declines of -14.3%
in residential (7766 compared to 9063) and -31.8% in commercial cases (1956 compared to 2870).
3336 vehicle thefts were reported compared to 5266, resulting in a decrease of -36.7%.
Total larceny cases declined by -14.7% (25371 compared to 29735) with the larcenies
from auto down by -22.1% (12604 compared to 16187).
252 arson cases were reported compared to 335, resulting in a decrease of -24.8%.
I couldn't agree more that crime exist in every city in every part of the world. It's worse in some places than others. Some police departments and citizens groups do something about it and some don't. In every single case I've seen, when citizens get involved and encourage the police and budget makers to do something about crime it helps. If we don't like what they are doing, we elect new officials. We can't do that in Bonaire and for some reason the business owners don't seem to be able to convince the people to make changes.

Please just show us where any attempt is being made to stop petty theft on Bonaire.
Please show us a few dozen reports of theft on any other diving destination in the world.
Please tell us about the laws regarding punishment for minors caught for "petty theft" on Bonaire.
Show me something that suggests Bonaire denies petty theft is a serious issue for divers.
Show me something that says anyone on Bonaire cares or recognizes or denies any visitor issues.

I guess the good thing about all this "bad publicity" is that it keeps Bonaire from becoming a more popular and more crowded destination. It isn't growing much and prices aren't skyrocketing.

go down the street and check on Den Laman, that is what I care about:D

Stayed there twice and never an issue. It is big enough I would hope someone would notice it being stolen.

I wonder if theft ever happens in the rest of the world? :hm:....no? OK then I guess Bonaire is a bad place.

:popcorn:

Man did you ever score a huge win there Rick :D

you are so right, Bonaire is a pea and Charlotte is a melon. No comparison, but it makes people think they will be alright on Bonaire with this bogus comparison. Charlotte is improving, as you correctly stated, Bonaire is the same and has been for 20 or so years. I hear it is even getting worse. A note on Charlotte crime, it is confined to a small area of the uptown area and does not exist in those numbers in South Charlotte. BOTTOM LINE, AVOID DIVING HERE, AS YOU SHOULD BONAIRE, AND FOR THE SAME REASON:rofl3:

I think the attempt to compare Charlotte crime to Bonaire is pretty funny. The county that is included in the statistics for Charlotte has a population of almost 900,000. Nearly all of the crimes are committed on our own citizens. Very few are committed against visitors. Many claims have been made about little improvement in Charlotte. Here are the facts for last year.
All but one of the violent Index crime categories experienced decreases: 2346 robberies were reported compared to 2984, resulting in a decrease of -21.4%
299 rapes were reported compared to 266, resulting in an increase of 12.4%.
2916 aggravated assaults were reported compared to 3731, resulting
in a decrease of -21.8%.
Burglary overall was down -18.5%, (9722 compared to 11933) with declines of -14.3%
in residential (7766 compared to 9063) and -31.8% in commercial cases (1956 compared to 2870).
3336 vehicle thefts were reported compared to 5266, resulting in a decrease of -36.7%.
Total larceny cases declined by -14.7% (25371 compared to 29735) with the larcenies
from auto down by -22.1% (12604 compared to 16187).
252 arson cases were reported compared to 335, resulting in a decrease of -24.8%.
I couldn't agree more that crime exist in every city in every part of the world. It's worse in some places than others. Some police departments and citizens groups do something about it and some don't. In every single case I've seen, when citizens get involved and encourage the police and budget makers to do something about crime it helps. If we don't like what they are doing, we elect new officials. We can't do that in Bonaire and for some reason the business owners don't seem to be able to convince the people to make changes.

Please just show us where any attempt is being made to stop petty theft on Bonaire.
Please show us a few dozen reports of theft on any other diving destination in the world.
Please tell us about the laws regarding punishment for minors caught for "petty theft" on Bonaire.
Show me something that suggests Bonaire denies petty theft is a serious issue for divers.
Show me something that says anyone on Bonaire cares or recognizes or denies any visitor issues.

I guess the good thing about all this "bad publicity" is that it keeps Bonaire from becoming a more popular and more crowded destination. It isn't growing much and prices aren't skyrocketing.

Well I got ripped off by a resort owner who lives in Sacramento Ca and owned Kia Viti Divers in Fiji! She charged almost $400.00 EXTRA dollars un-authorized on my AMX Card! That is more than petty theft and AMX is charging me, because she is no longer in business and won't provide a receipt to the company! So is it her? Is it AMX? Of Lets blame Fiji?

I am getting a very strong feeling PF doesn't like Bonaire! Maybe he was scared by a diver driving a rental truck? Our owns an interest in another resort somewhere?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom