Is Scubapro Feeling A Pinch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mk19 Evo is more expensive in Europe as well.
Not here, the MK25 is $104 AU more expensive [US $66.50].
$236 AU with the D420.
I bought a MK19 here for US $201 [AU $315].

You left out the R&D costs.... You pay for the development. Others that produce a design based on an expired patent need not recoup any R&D.....
I touched on that, second to the last sentence.
Yes, you pay for R&D costs up front before they happen because they have to pay their engineers up front before the new innovation hits the market to recoup costs.
Scubapro is THE most copied manufacturer of scuba gear in history, bar none. Everyone else rides for free, but the wagon they’re riding on will always be behind the one pulling in front.
I’ll take the real thing, thank you.

There is a real question in my mind as to whether the d420 can be successfully serviced at your local ScubaPro dive shop.
The Version 2 of the Service Manual now has a step which includes the necessity for 0.5mm separation between diaphragm and lever, as we discovered when the reg first came out.
This reg is so easy to service (even compared with barrel-style regs like the S620Ti, that any good shop that follows the manual should have no problem delivering you top-notch performance.
I absolutely love mine.

The D420 is unconventional looking and unconventional does not often sell well. It is also perceived as being complicated and that based on previous D series regulators and the Pilot that were temperamental.

I am pretty sure Scubapro is being impacted by all of the clones and copies. But will those clones and copies still be in the dive bag 30 years from now? There are an awful lot of divers using 30 years old Scubapro regulators and they are still servicing them and diving them with no performance penalty vs new. Which more than the clones and copies, that might be more of a problem for Scubapro.

Does anyone know of another company using "techno-polymer" cases, that meaning 30% fiber reinforced polymer or similar? Unless I am missing it, I do not see that in any other brand of regulator? It is a question, not an argument, if so I sincerely want to know. Not to get into, OMG, (____:76feet:____), but there are several well known such items that are made from polymers without GFR materials and we can beat the snot out of them and they still work as intended so perhaps I am giving too much credit to that feature, but it is still a confidence booster to me in the product.

In Biblical times God would hand down a scroll or set a bush afire or send a star shooting across the sky when he wanted to get a point or inspiration across. It has been said that Bill Piper was divinely inspired when he designed the Super Cub. John Browning was thought to be inspired when he drew up the 1911 pistol. Well, perhaps the G250 was also divinely inspired, I mean, like, how do you follow up on perfection, the best regulator second stage ever? Oh, I know, let's make one that is very complicated and make it look like a scrotum too, hey that is cool! Oh, yeah, and make it very, very expensive and NOT worth every penny :poke:.

James

I think the resemblance to the X650 debacle is one thing they failed at in bringing this regulator to market...

I know, let's make one that is very complicated and make it look like a scrotum too
:oops: That thought will haunt me very time I see one now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom