Is scopolamine on the way out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, a doctor told me that scopolamine is no longer available, is this a fact or is it just a miss understanding? He gave no explanation or reasoning just that it is no longer available but I might be able to find it at a smaller drugstore but once it was gone, it's over. Has anyone else heard this?

Strange. I only recently got a perscription for Scopace, and my doctor did not mention anything like that.

I sure hope it is not correct.

There was a Scopolamine pill that used to be available but has been discontinued. The Transderm patch with Scopolamine is still available. My wife picked up a prescription 2 weeks ago. No problem

Cheers

-s

Edit - I googled the phrase "is scopace still available" found an article where someone like my wife was told that those pills were not available. The same article had a response by a pharmaceutical company that still makes it. That article had an 800# to call if your pharmacy couldn't get it.

Hi Lead_carrier,

Scopolamine in patch, oral and gel forms is widely available and best as I know there are no plans to discontinue any of these.

Many, many years ago (~1994) the Transderm Scop patch temporarily was taken off the market for reformulation due to quality assurance problems, but it came back into pharmacies in late '98.

I do hope the doctor with whom you spoke is now retired.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I don't have the answer, but you'll probly get the best one from a pharmacists. Physicians have too many other priorities to stay up to date, I think they call their favorite druggists to ask such, too.

Oops, other than DrV. He does seem to stay up to date and/or checks things out well.

I googled scopolamine news releases - didn't see anything.

Not sure if there was a different scop pill in the past, but Scopace is still definitely available.

Gilless:
There was a Scopolamine pill that used to be available but has been discontinued ...

Once again:

Scopolamine in patch (e.g., Transderm Scop) and oral (e.g., Scopace, Maldemar) forms remains widely available and there are no plans to discontinue either of these.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks for the quick replies. This will definitely make some divers I know VERY HAPPY.

Back
Top Bottom