Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back in the day they taught us to just pass the one reg that was working back and forth for 2 breaths each, you kids have it too easy :) Octo's, Air2's on the BCD's. I do love the new technology with DC's, think I will go with the wrist version with a safty strap.

Oh snap... I couldn't even fathom that lol.

As for the Air2 - not so good IMO. To difficult to share air. That is a really good one to do a search on.

The more you dive with good divers the more you learn.

I agree with that statement............ and too keep my new divers safe, I have no problem getting 4 DC's for them and any other gadget that makes them happy. Life is short and for me this is a mid life bonus to get to dive again.

The Cayman will come within 5 years too. :cool2:

I've heard make your main reg 5ft in case it gets snatched from your mouth, and keep the Octo velcroed to the BC? Sounds good to me, what say the group? I won't be doing wrecks or caverns so I won't mind the large loop. Any other ideas? Get me up to speed .............

Not to hijack my topic but it's been asked and answered counselor. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

One configuration that is gaining increasing popularity and arguably has many safety benefits is the use of 'Long Hose and Necklace Octo'.

Basically, this system works as follows....

The primary second stage is on a long hose (5'-7').
The Alternate Air Source (AAS) is on a shorter hose and secured with a bungee loop around the diver's neck (the 'necklace').

In the event that air-sharing is required, the diver donates their primary regulator on the long hose, and then takes the 'AAS' for themselves.

This system has the added benefit that the AAS is always in a position that the diver can access it for themselves (with practice, just by dropping your chin and grabbing it in your mouth).

The set-up looks like this...
http://www.sfdj.com/fall/dir1.jpg
dir1.jpg
dir2.jpg

The AAS 'necklace' looks like this..
AC2099_KO.jpg

Air sharing is as simple as this...

airshare-sm.jpg

Looks great and that will be my set up.........see I'm getting up to speed. Thanks for the great post.

What is the advantage of the new "web" cross stitch tubing vs rubber ?

Here is a good article on the benefits of using a bungee regulator necklace..

You can buy commercially made versions... (example HERE)

nlb_302_general.jpg

Or you can build your own with some latex bungee and tie wraps...

backup_reg_closeup_large.jpg

backup_reg.jpg

Drivel.

If it were safe.... why is it against the recommendations of every agency and manufacturer?
Because they simply say that no two divers can dive precisely the same profile, which is true, and if the computerless diver goes deeper than the computer then the computer can't draw a safe envelope for the computerless diver.
However... I stand by the statement that a (normal recreational profile, no deco stops required, deepest part first - no silly sawtooth stuff) profile that is always shallower than the computer (and therefore shorter as well) is safer than the profile dived by the computer.
If you can figure one out that isn't, and back it up with an accepted algorithm, have at it. I'd love to see it.
As I said in my original post on the subject, this is against *everybody's* advice and guidance (including mine), but the question was "can you?" and the answer is "yes."
And we shouldn't say something's not possible just because it isn't advisable.
Oh, and I will add, just to make sure I'm not misunderstood... Don't do it. :)
E

Back
Top Bottom