Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask another dumb question............what is an OP???

and misdirected, you've lost me and my topic I think......I just want to know a good Dive computer for 4 now that the Oceanic Veo 180n seems to be gone. I can't find it anywhere, the SUU D4 is $400 plus. These will be Christmas gifts.

Whats a good 3mm/5mm wetsuit for girls that has color options? Pink, yellow, etc....

I have Henderson Instadry in 5mm and NeoSport 3mm and 7mm suits.

Neosport is Henderson's entry level brand and it works great to be honest. Easy to get in/out of it.

As for the colors... hm... use other things to accessorize. Like Scuba Do Rags, they come in various colors and patterns. You can even get "buddy bands" to mark buddies properly.

Ask yourself. Is one insurance policy enough for 4 people?

Nitrogen loading is a function of time, depth and type of breathing gas.

Unfortunately, this is a case where "pretty close" might not be good enough. What happens if you do an extra dive that your family doesn't? Or one of your kids pops down an extra 20' to look at something on the bottom? Or it takes one of your group more time to descend?

Everybody needs their own computer, (or timing device, depth gauge and SPG).

Terry

not to mention getting separated, which never, eber happens

If you do, Epinephelus, please start another thread in a different section of the board.
Wouldn't do that... :D
The apples to oranges arguments here are, shall we say, sort of interesting, but not really. In this specific case there really is a simple and easy way - staying shallower - to keep things reasonable and safe, and bringing in ludicrous propositions about grossly exceeding the recreational envelope or diving overheads without reduncancy and such is disingenious at best.
Just because a diver's new doesn't mean he/she shouldn't have a firm enough grasp of decompression theory to realize that, from a DCI point of reference, with all other things being equal, a shallower profile is safer than a deeper one.
E

not to mention getting separated, which never, eber happens
Now that's a good point, and an especially sound argument against using one computer for more than one diver. Using the "just stay shallower" rule is impossible to follow if you're separated.
E

Ask yourself. Is one insurance policy enough for 4 people?

Perfectly adequate if all 4 people are listed on the policy. That's how my medical insurance and DAN policy work, everyone in the family is covered. It's how my auto policy is constructed also, all cars, all family members. Not the best analogy.

Everyone should dive with their own computer(s) or dive with an alternative, acceptable independent dive plan such as tables, wheel, eRDP...

Good diving, Craig

The computer I'd recommend that has a fantasic price point and is Nitrox compatible is the Suunto Gekko ($175-250 hit ebay). I think it will fit all of your needs. Great basic computer that does quite a bit. Trust me, you will want nitrox down the road.

I'm partial to the Pelagic Pressure Systems decompression algorithm and, personally, find the Suunto algorithm too consevative. As a very good starter computer, the Oceanic veo100nx is available new from scuba.com for $280 (same price as LP) or "used, in the box" with a 2 year warranty from the vendor for $200. With a computer, I would probably want some type of warranty, either manufacturer or vendor.

See the attached for a little backgroud on decompression algorithms of most popular brands http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...alyzers/300421-decompression-algorithms.htmls There are many great computers our there with a wide variety of features and prices. There are also a diverse group of vendors ready to suppy your needs.

Best of luck and good diving, Craig

Wouldn't do that... :D
... from a DCI point of reference, with all other things being equal, a shallower profile is safer than a deeper one.
E

On that narrow point, I think we can all agree. (And, for newer divers, the "other things being equal" would refer to any residual nitrogen loading, altitude, dive times, hydration, ascent rates, gas mix, and a few other things.)

Can we also agree that all divers should have their own computer or timer/depth gauge?

And get back to answering the current questions of the poster? In terms of computers, I love my Cobra (about $500 + compass) but, as another posted, the Gekko is a nice computer at a bargain price. ($225 or so wrist, $300 console with a SPG).

I don't think he means one diver everything and 3 divers with nothing. A DC is a DC, and a gauge console is a, well a gauge console.... I am sure they went over it in his cert. If others have their regular console and and a timing device why would everyone need a computer?... Have a good predive briefing incase of lost diver incident or whatnot and have fun!!
I like my Mares Puck $299.00

Glad to see this topic is keeping everyone thinking........For those that need an update and may have missed.....I'm certified PADI, just now getting my family involved. I have been out of diving for 20 years and will be taking the "New and improved PADI" course from my version in 1979. I plan on making a post to follow so I can compare todays course vs now.

Too me it's almost like 79's course was Navy Seals Lite compared to today. I just got the 4 PADI PACK's today for "my students" and started reading....

After some thought on my OP my question could have been....Is one DC good for 4 divers when 3 others are following the dive tables old school without a computer? But my original intent was a valid noob question and I got 1 thanks for it.

Wetsuits are coming next, the DC's at Christmas after they get some water time and appreciate the DC.

PS - I like the Geeko and Vyper the next step up so far.

Thanks for welcoming me into the group so rapidly. I purchased 4 MFS's packages today so we are " engaged"......

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom