Is one dive computer enough for 4 divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco, I like your sense of humor and your patience with this board.

The answer to your revised question is yes, it's fine to have one person with a computer and the others diving tables, so long as everybody dives the tables.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think of your course. My husband got certified in the late 60's, and retook the class with me in 2005, and he definitely has his opinions.

BTW, please be prepared -- it is HIGHLY unlikely that the shop where you take your class will like the gear setup that has been proposed to you here. It is not mainstream, although it is extremely efficient. Many shops will deem it "tech *#%" and discourage you from adopting it.

TS&M, It just dawned on me to take a look at your name so I will tread lightly for fear of a wrong answer and the pain possibly involved. If you look at my profile you'll see I've been in executive C-level sales my whole life short of my USAF Military stint. Because of the two combined I have a very bad case of shopping disorder, short of needing medication. I research items way too much.

Please help me..........I actually thought of selling one of my pistols to buy new gear for the kids so we can enjoy this sport that I have loved since 79.

AB

Abaco 24:

I was certified (NAUI) in 1977 (cold water, Puget Sound). It was an ex-Navy UDT sort of class complete with our own hell night (pool lights off for part of the time, things being ripped off and turned off). Lots of pool time that always started with basic swimming. None of the rental BCs had auto inflate, there were no dive computers and only instructors had an octo. When my dive buddy freaked on OW dive #1, I was expected to deal with it (and ultimately towed him in).

I'll also be curious as to how you compare the class then and now...

I won't help you.

Sell the pistol.

And then buy backplate setups from DSS for all the kids :D

Yes it is hard to sell a weapon, since I have several I could sell one for the better cause of getting the whole family involved in diving!

BTW, please be prepared -- it is HIGHLY unlikely that the shop where you take your class will like the gear setup that has been proposed to you here. It is not mainstream, although it is extremely efficient. Many shops will deem it "tech *#%" and discourage you from adopting it.

True....and they do so for a number of reasons. Primarily because the instructor/s concerned won't have experience teaching people in that configuration and, secondarily, because they will be ignorant of the configuration and possess a bunch of uneducated assumptions.

BP/W is a legitimate BCD option for OW (or any training), as is long hose, necklaced AAS etc etc.

Choose the kit you want. It is the instructors' job to teach you in that kit. If they can't, then find a more capable instructor. :D

Um in my part of the world, all the recreational certified divers usually follow the DM who has the dive computer. The rest of the divers either dont have a computer or dont plan their dives. And decompression related accidents are rare, maybe because the DMs dont push their profiles to the limit.

If you ask me, the idea behind different nitrogen loading etc etc since every diver will have a slightly different profile makes perfect sense. By that theory, every diver should have his own dive computer.

In reality (from my experience at least) while I wouldn't recommend it, group diving with only 1 DC has been done and will probably continue to be done recreationally in South East Asia. As long as the whole group sticks together and their profiles dont vary too much, there shouldnt be a problem, especially if the dives are on shallow reefs of less than 20m. You'll run out of air before you run out of time.

If I were diving with a buddy who I have dived with many times before and I had a choice between skipping a dive and tagging along with my buddy (assuming no coms for rent and i have followed by buddy's profile on earlier dives) I would follow him, stay close and not push the limits.

Yes yes, this is against the industry standards and my official stand on this would be to have your own dive computer, but unless you're doing deep dives (30m and more, repetitve dives) or doing deco, I think its a rule that can be bent a little.

Now to feel the heat for stating my opinion :D

Last edited:
Um in my part of the world, all the recreational certified divers usually follow the DM who has the dive computer. The rest of the divers either dont have a computer or dont plan their dives. And decompression related accidents are rare, maybe because the DMs dont push their profiles to the limit.

If you ask me, the idea behind different nitrogen loading etc etc since every diver will have a slightly different profile makes perfect sense. By that theory, every diver should have his own dive computer.

In reality (from my experience at least) while I wouldn't recommend it, group diving with only 1 DC has been done and will probably continue to be done recreationally in South East Asia. As long as the whole group sticks together and their profiles dont vary too much, there shouldnt be a problem, especially if the dives are on shallow reefs of less than 20m. You'll run out of air before you run out of time.
In theory, all dives go exactly as planned and all divers act exactly as you expect them to. In reality, Murphy and Darwin are co-conspirators. And nothing they do is personal.

Bending the "rules" a bit is rarely a good idea. Suggesting to new divers (the purpose of this forum) that it is ok for them to bend the rules is a really bad idea. And just to be clear: there is nothing wrong with diving tables or having one person dive tables while the other dives a computer (provided that the most conservative of the two governs your dive plan).

I do agree that the practice you suggest does happen with some divers in some places. Here are some reasons why it is a bad idea:

You should never hand over your safety responsibilities to another. If someone else is setting the dive plan, that is fine. But, IMHO, you still have a responsibility to verify that plan as being safe for you. (Yes, I have seen DM provided dive plans that would put my old USD computer into deco).

Dives don't always go as planned. Divers get separated. Some have trouble with bouyancy and might have a more seasaw profile. There can be downdrafts. Divers might ascend faster than the DM.

Small differences in profile can matter (depth, time, surface interval, ascent rates). Staying just a few feet deeper for a long period of time can have an impact -- especially on the second and third dives. Also: you need to be sure that any RBT carried from day to day (yes, I have had enough dives where this happens) stays on that same computer. Can you even guarantee that the exact same computer is going to be on the second dive of the day?

If something bad happens, you (not someone else) pays the price. Recreational diving is, IMHO, a very safe sport. But, if you get bent, it is you who deals with the chamber ride, the bills and the rehab.

Well I finally found the answer to what started this 12 page quest.......in the PADI manual while studying this week. Page 223, Item #2. I'm glad it has sparked such a useful discussion to help keep everyone safer, but that wasn't my original intent.

I also love the RDPmL, I will be hooked on my DC's (4 for ALL family members). I won't be using a BP/W, to me that's retro anyway, like a horshshoe on a plate. I'd prefer a soft lumbar support now anyway. It is interesting to read how "outdated" all my equipment was now .LOL

This is a great forum, full of info and good people, thanks for all the PM's, I feel very welcome. "Dive Training" is an excellent publication too.

Back
Top Bottom