Is it too early for me to get a rebreather??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No RB is idiot-proof. You do not have to calibrate Dolphin, but you have to choose the right orifice and check the flow (PITA).
I think any SCR is a waste of time. Dolphin, especially, the buoyancy characteristics suck, WOB sucks, predive procedures/assembly are pain, and it blows bubbles. The Sports Kiss would be a great alternative and it gets you on the right track when you decide to move up to more advanced diving.

thats some funny stuff.

I think a few people posting need to do some research on what they are spoutin about. Anyone who knows why Paris Hilton is famous and dives rebreathers knows a few of you are talkin out of your ***.

take the time to know what you don't know.

pigs don't fly here I guess. ---shell-back
hi guys

selling Dolphin on Ebay as we speak Item number: 7206132546

Rob Davie,
That was my first post over here, I see a few of you you have crossed :D

the flying pig was a hint as to the reason I stay in RBW. you have some real wacks in here. :confined:

Later SHELL-BACK

BigJetDriver:
Plan to pay quite a bit more for the Megalodon, the Prism, or for the Evolution to name three examples. The eCCR's will actually break even in cost at about 200 hours of use IF you are diving using helium.

Whatever unit you think might fit your diving style, be sure you talk to people who own and dive that unit. See if you can find someone to let you do a try-out on the unit. Talk to the manufacturer. If you are serious about buying a unit, you can actually call up Peter or Shas Readey, for instance, and talk to them about the Prism. The same holds true for Leon Scamahorn, and the Meg. (Just remember that their time is valuable, and you need to be serious about it.)

This is one of the main benefits I see of a rebreather. The cost of trimix for rebreather will be a fraction of what it would cost for my doubles. I just put my order in for an Evolution, and at about $10k, it is the most expensive piece of dive kit so far. My camera rig comes a close second, and the decision to go rebreather and which one was not easy nor made lightly. I fortunately had the opportunity to speak to and dive with a couple of buddies who also have the Evolution, and I was sold on the benefits. I understand the risks and I feel that with proper discipline, these can be minimized to my comfort. Everybody will be different in what they're looking for and what they feel is right for them. So arguing "mine is better than yours" is really of little benefit to all involved.

Well this thread is like a can of worms. I didn't know it would it be so popular. But for now I have made up my mind and not to purchase the rebreather. Mainly for my location (east coast) and the dives I like.

So the money for the rebreather went to buying regs, bcd, fins, mask, computer. I am still thinking about taking the drager dolphin course. Which I am planning on doing in a few weeks. I have realized how complex rebreathers are and how few Dive shops around the world carry them.

Thanks.

BikerManiac:
Well this thread is like a can of worms. I didn't know it would it be so popular. But for now I have made up my mind and not to purchase the rebreather. Mainly for my location (east coast) and the dives I like.

So the money for the rebreather went to buying regs, bcd, fins, mask, computer. I am still thinking about taking the drager dolphin course. Which I am planning on doing in a few weeks. I have realized how complex rebreathers are and how few Dive shops around the world carry them.

Thanks. Hmm now should I close this thread?

I think this is an interesting thread! My vote is to let it live on in whatever form it morphs into.

If it's possible I would try to get in a RB try-out with a bunch of RB friendly shops in New Yawk. This way you could compare the WOB/buoyancy in a pool vs. taking the entire Dolphin course. I seen many Dolphin users who ultimately ditch their units in lieu of something more efficient. Additionally, in short time Sport Kisses will make their way into the second hand market. Older Inspirations can now be had for very little $. X

Curt Bowen, the well-known editor and publisher of Advanced Diver Magazine, is sponsoring a series of rebreather try-out sessions around the country, during which folks can get a briefing on various units, and then try them out in the pool.

It is a great way to get rid of some of the mysticism and apprehension some have about rebreathers, and, if you are trying to choose one, to finalize your decision.

Check the Advanced Diver Magazine website at:

www.advanceddivermagazine.com

BOOM BOOM:
thats some funny stuff.

I think a few people posting need to do some research on what they are spoutin about. Anyone who knows why Paris Hilton is famous and dives rebreathers knows a few of you are talkin out of your ***.

take the time to know what you don't know.

pigs don't fly here I guess. ---shell-back
hi guys

I agree. Before posting anything about RB's(my subjective opinion) one should at least be certified on one. There are people posting "facts" that have not even signed up for a course. This spreads misinformation.
My 2cents;
Bill an Inspiration pilot

Back
Top Bottom