Is it too early for me to get a rebreather??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainNemo:
All this knowledge and your profile says you have no logged dives and are not certified. I find that hard to believe. You probably should update your profile. Undisclosed gender is interesting to say the least, lol!

Knowledge? That's a hoot! I don't know how to dive. Ask anyone. As for certifications, well, I may have a card laying around somewhere I use to get fills. As to my gender, I'm sure I have one.

Have a great weekend.

webediving:
If you are going to buya a Drager Dolphin or Ray I believe you will be OK. The Drager is one of the most simple SCR rebreather in the market and with the correct training I see no problem with learning how to use it. Now if you are going to get into an Azimut SCR, Kiss, Inspiration,etc, then I highly recomend a bit more experience since these machines are very complex. Remember that rebreathers are excellent when they are functioning correct. The problem is when they fail. You need to master whatever equiment you are using. This will come with training and experience.
Happy Diving
Tony Cerezo

Huh? There is some conflicting info. here. All these RB's need a certain level of diligence. One is not necessarily mechanically better, or more complex to operate. The KISS is the ultimate in CCR simplicity...although the Classic is a pain to clean. :) If an individual can operate an SCR, the move to a CCR is not a huge stretch mechanically, or intellectually.

Ok, just a thought after looking at all the crap that you need to take with you using a RB. You mention that you are looking for photography and video, but with that much on your body, you may not be able to get the shot you want. Why not look at the new/old Aqualung. The exhailed gass is directed behind your head and behind the camera.

I remember seeing an ad for a rebreather that was showing how Dick had such heavy things to carry (tanks, bcd), while Jane using a rebreather could take her gear from the car to the waters edge in one trip. From the pictures I saw at RBworld, that a load of CRAP!!! I've seen less on a cave diver with twins.

How much "crap" you need to take with you to dive a rebreather varies greatly on what kind of diving you are doing. It's very similar to open circuit diving -- shallow may equal an aluminum 80 while a deep wreck may involve backmix doubles with trimix, a travel cylinder, and a deco bottle.

My Sport Kiss weighs 37 pounds with full 14 cu ft cylinders and the scrubber. If I'm diving shallow I don't even take a stage bottle with me as my 14 cu ft diluent will act as open circuit bailout if needed. However, if I'm going deep I sling a 30 cu ft bottle "just in case". If you're doing a deco dive, you need enough open circuit gas to safely get you through deco and to the surface if you flood your loop or the equipment fails. That's probably the photos you've seen.

A small complete kit for recreational diving with over four hours of dive time without changing tanks while breathing warm moist air and making no bubbles -- I'll take a CCR any day! Just make sure you get good training!

By the way, Rinkopr, I live in Lakeland and teach rebreather diving at Off the Wall Adventures -- both "experiences" and "certification". I'd love to show you the beauties of rebreathers if you're interested. PM me!

webediving:
If you are going to buya a Drager Dolphin or Ray I believe you will be OK. The Drager is one of the most simple SCR rebreather in the market and with the correct training I see no problem with learning how to use it. Now if you are going to get into an Azimut SCR, Kiss, Inspiration,etc, then I highly recomend a bit more experience since these machines are very complex. Remember that rebreathers are excellent when they are functioning correct. The problem is when they fail. You need to master whatever equiment you are using. This will come with training and experience.
Happy Diving
Tony Cerezo

Hello Tony, I agree with Mr. X. I don't think that an SCR is any more easy to use than a KISS. Both require scrubber packing, pressure checks and some form of calibration: in the Drager's case it's a flow test of the mass flow sonic valve, which is a pain in the *** and the orafice is very hard to clean in the field. This in addition to the cal. of any O2 monitor which would be on the Drager, which I think is a must. Any failure on any RB will require bailout and on a CCR, you will have more options than SCR. I dove a Dolphin for 2 years only because there were no good CCR choices. After switching to my Prism CCR, I would advise anybody not to bother with SCRs- the benefits are no where near as great as CCR. -Andy

Rinkopr:
Ok, just a thought after looking at all the crap that you need to take with you using a RB. You mention that you are looking for photography and video, but with that much on your body, you may not be able to get the shot you want. Why not look at the new/old Aqualung. The exhailed gass is directed behind your head and behind the camera.

I remember seeing an ad for a rebreather that was showing how Dick had such heavy things to carry (tanks, bcd), while Jane using a rebreather could take her gear from the car to the waters edge in one trip. From the pictures I saw at RBworld, that a load of CRAP!!! I've seen less on a cave diver with twins.

Do you know what you are talking about? Try using a double hose...even the newer ones suck. The gals and guys on RB world are usually doing expedition class stuff and carry contingency bailouts. You probably focused on pics. that match your current perspective which is about dissing Rb's. You should take up the kind offer from Debersole and from there make some educated observations. Mr. X

Mr X,
I don't know much at all about RB's, but when I went to the RB site the pictures looked like something the space walkers need. I was commenting on what I was seeing from the website. As for the new aqualung, I have been told it is garbage by several dive facilities including those who carry aqualung.
As for "fixating" I just went to the site and looked at several setups and each one looked to carry much more than what the ad showed. Like I said the ad made it look like she ws carrying a BC but Dick needed 100 lbs of gear. BikerManiac says he wanted to take pictures and extend bottom time, but from what I saw there twins would be less gear.

debersole,

I will take you up on that offer as I am interested in learning all I can about anything having to do with diving. I got interested in RBs when I signed up for OW, but was told it was unsafe without military training, and the Gov bank account. I will PM you with my number.

Rinkopr

Rinkopr:
If you're free tomorrow evening, we're having our shop's Christmas party. I'll have a Drager Dolphin, OMG Azimuth, and a Sport Kiss on display. I'd love the opportunity to show you what I feel the pros and cons are of each unit. We're in south Lakeland about one mile west of South Florida Avenue (SR 37) on Shepherd Road. PM me,call the shop (863) 709-9253 or mapquest 2055 Shepherd Road Lakeland, Florida 3381 for directions. Hope to see you there or get together with you soon.
Doug

Rinkopr:
Mr X,
I don't know much at all about RB's, but when I went to the RB site the pictures looked like something the space walkers need. I was commenting on what I was seeing from the website. As for the new aqualung, I have been told it is garbage by several dive facilities including those who carry aqualung.
As for "fixating" I just went to the site and looked at several setups and each one looked to carry much more than what the ad showed. Like I said the ad made it look like she ws carrying a BC but Dick needed 100 lbs of gear. BikerManiac says he wanted to take pictures and extend bottom time, but from what I saw there twins would be less gear.

debersole,

I will take you up on that offer as I am interested in learning all I can about anything having to do with diving. I got interested in RBs when I signed up for OW, but was told it was unsafe without military training, and the Gov bank account. I will PM you with my number.

Rinkopr

That's terrific. I do hope you enjoy what Debersole has to show you.
The new stuff is much nicer than the Gov. stuff, albeit a little less tuff and a shade more magnetic.

I agree with you. If it's lightweight diving forget the expense and hassle and use a set of doubles. If you're doing expedition class diving it is best to go the RB route from a number of logistical perspectives - the most important being safety.

Cheers. Grrrrh. Mr. X

You have to admit that the Drager is a much easier machine to operate than the Azimut or others. Drager is (I consider) an idiot proof machine. If any proble just bail out OC! Duh.... Also u have a depht restriction (if properly used). Any moron can use it just watch your oxygauge! back up with a VR3 or... Try that with the inspiration. First you have to calibrate and bla bla bla. I personally think that anyone with a nitrox cert can use a Dolphin. Not so much with others rebreathers.
As for the Inspiration Have you ever taken one apart? Let me tell u it is a real pain in the ******. specially when the sensors go caput! The Drager you can take it apart blind folded! Been there done that. I think for a person who wants to jump in and try rebreathers the Drager is an excellent machine to start. Hell you can even get a PADI cert. for it (LOL)

Happy Diving :)

T

Back
Top Bottom