Is it OK to buy used equipment?

Do you buy used equipment?

• Yes, it is OK to buy anything used as long as it has been maintained properly

Votes: 98 79.0%
  • Yes, but only certain items that aren't vital to life support

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • No - I only buy new equipment

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too, have purchased gear on-line from E-Bay auctions. In general I have been very pleased.

One problem buying on-line, especially with non-current models, is some assurance that the item will fit properly. This includes BCD's, wetsuits, fins and the like.

I bought a ScubaPro X-Tek BCD on-line. It was sized M-L. Since I always use size L in ScubaPro gear, I thought the fit should be fine. It wasn't... definitely on the small size. In addition, the waist band had been cut to fit the previous owner (not mentioned un the auction posting).

Fortunately I was able to solve the problem by having the local upholstery shop sew an extension on... and then losing 50 pounds (just teasing). It is now usable for diving in the tropics (my intended use).

My advise- make sure when you buy on auction that you are sure the specific item/model will fit properly before you bid.

Dr. Bill

Depends on what it is, I bought my Computer from my Instructor / LDS it was his own personal one he just wanted to have the newer version. Paid half the cost

Scubaddawg

depends on the item. I bought my first BC from my open water instructor for 150 used. on first trip ever on final ascent on last dive of trip when i reached surface i heard hissing. got back on boat tried to orally inflate wouldnt hold air. when i got home tech said leaking valve(old bc) and that was unrepairable. a poor investment. would never buy a used bc again. however bought first set of regs three years ago. another shop turns over their rental fleet in september. you buy the octopus for 225. they then service and overhaul it and you come back a couple of days later to pick it up. over 100+ dives on this without any problem.

Back
Top Bottom