Is it OK to buy used equipment?

Do you buy used equipment?

• Yes, it is OK to buy anything used as long as it has been maintained properly

Votes: 98 79.0%
  • Yes, but only certain items that aren't vital to life support

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • No - I only buy new equipment

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont have a problem with any of the used gear I a have bought, however, I will never buy a wetsuit online again for any of my daughters or my wife. SIZING CHARTS LIE LIKE THE DICKENS

anything else tho great :)

What I want to know is how the LDS treats you when you come in with the used equipment. Every time we even mention the word "online" or "on the internet" they go into defensive mode. I have honestly been afraid to take in any kind of equipment I haven't purchased at their shop for them to look at.

I have heard the horror stories of how people bring in something to the LDS and are charged outrageous prices for service or just to take a look at something. :confused:

ScubaDon once bubbled...

I have heard the horror stories of how people bring in something to the LDS and are charged outrageous prices for service or just to take a look at something. :confused:

Some dive shops do that. This is just bad business practice because the customer will certainly never come back. (If they know they're being screwed in the first place.) If the LDS doesn't like it, too bad. If they keep being a jerk to their customers, they are likely to go out of business anyway. If your LDS can't be content with the business you do give them, perhaps they don't deserve any of your business.

Nearly all the dive gear I own I bought used. So far, I have had good luck and saved about 50% after the costs of servicing. My two rules are 1) I only buy used gear at about 1/2 the cost of new or less so I don't take a major loss if the item has a problem, and 2) I always have it serviced before use. This has worked well for me so far. However, I did buy my mask and gloves from a LDS because I wanted to try them on for fit before purchasing. I have also decided to purchase a new ScubaPro MK25/S550 from LeisurePro for $265 as soon as they come back in stock (LP said 3 weeks). This is one of the few high end regs I have had the chance to try so know I like it, and I haven't seen anything of comparable quality and condition for much less $$ anywhere else. Even on eBay, the few nearly new high-end Apeks and ScubaPro regulators I have seen are selling for nearly LP's cost new.

After speaking with the LDS owner earlier this week, I can tell we have real differences in philosophy which prevent me from being enthusiastic about patronizing their store. This is sad, because I really like the instructor/service tech that works there.

ScubaDon once bubbled...

I don't charge outrageous prices but I do charge, for all parts, material, and labor. Remember, you don't have a warranty from us, your warranty if from someone else. That is what you want correct?

Electric Zombie once bubbled..
If your LDS can't be content with the business you do give them, perhaps they don't deserve any of your business.

You are right Zombie, keep everything strictly business. I don't know about your LDS. I have friends that I know buy things used and from other sources. We have been able to keep it very friendly. They don't bring me things for warranty service unless it is warranty. Everything else they expect to pay for my service, full price.

I started out with a used reg, and bc. I had the reg serviced before I ever used it and the bc was in great shape. I'm still using the bc and I have since passed the reg on to a buddy of mine. Still working great. So to answer your question, as long as the equipment is in good shape I see no problem with it.

the condition of the item you are purchasing, and you feel that it has been well maintained, that there shouldn't be a problem with buying used equipment. Some people like to have new equipment regularly, and have very good items available for sale. You just have to do your homework, ask lots of questions, and feel comfortable with the seller. :)

all used gear, only thing I have replace is BC because I liked a friends back inflated BC.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

I don't charge outrageous prices but I do charge, for all parts, material, and labor. Remember, you don't have a warranty from us, your warranty if from someone else. That is what you want correct?

You are right Zombie, keep everything strictly business. I don't know about your LDS. I have friends that I know buy things used and from other sources. We have been able to keep it very friendly. They don't bring me things for warranty service unless it is warranty. Everything else they expect to pay for my service, full price.

And thats the way it should be . . . you most certainly should not be expected to work for free. Customers shouldn't expect that and neither should the manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom