Is it OK to buy used equipment?

Do you buy used equipment?

• Yes, it is OK to buy anything used as long as it has been maintained properly

Votes: 98 79.0%
  • Yes, but only certain items that aren't vital to life support

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • No - I only buy new equipment

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nothing wrong with used gear as long as you know the history of it, and it has been maintained. knowing the history is key, say to buy something off a friend or dive budy.

eBay or used dive shops are very sketchy

Buying used SCUBA gear is the same as anything else. It is fine if you know what you are doing and what to look for. If you don't, you will eventually get burnt. I frequently see things on E-bay sell for more than a brand new one costs at the store I work in. That is before shipping. Knowledge is the key.

And yes. It will save you a lot of money.

There are a lot of people out there selling relatively new equipment for all sorts of reasons like upgrading, not diving too often and so on.

If you look around you can find great stuff at about 50% of the price of new.

Ari :)

I have been both a buyer & a seller on e-Bay. Mostly kids stuff, like books, toys, videos etc... I have looked at the scuba equip. & have thought it pricey when you figure in the cost of shipping. I'm not sure about buying the used equip. sight unseen. Fins, booties, BC's, divesuits all need to be tried on. I'm not against used equip. but some things I just need to be able to see & touch. I really like e-Bay. I've only traded maybe 20 times or so. I've found the sellers to be very honest about the condition of the items and the buyers are prompt with payment. It's the shipping & handling that will bite you in the butt though.

Allow me to relate an experience I have recently had in purchasing equipment.

I was looking to purchase a Cressi Horizon mask. Luckily the town I was working in at the time had a store that actually carried the Cressi line of gear (more on that subject at the bottom). All the Cressi masks on display were $95 and more. They didnt have the Horizon but were willing to order it. Final cost was $112.00. TAKEN TO THE CLEANERS!!!!

I went on line and found the same mask two weeks later for a whole $37. And, that included shipping.

Now, when I am back in my home town I will always go to my local dive store and see what they have at what cost. If they have what I want ....and the price isnt outrageous....then I will buy from them. If it is anything like the incident above...I will buy from the net.

Having said that, I buy all life support....requires annual servicing...from my local shop. You must be verrrrryyyyyy careful with internet dealer warrantees and servicing.

Now, more on brands. I have found the dive industry to be one of the most limited and controlling industys when it comes to what a shop can offer. If a shop handles Brand "A"...then it is not allowed to carry any other brand. Now that helps the diving customer doesnt it????? I will attempt local store loyalty, but not to the point where it gouges my wallet...or makes me purchase something i dont really want.

Do you still have the drysuit that doesn't fix?

I have no idea yet how to size drysuits but I'm about 5 foot nothing, but have a 42 inch waist.

Here's the tricky bit. I wear size 3 to size 3 1/2 boys shoes. Very small feet.

Is it possible to have a drysuit "reworked"?

So many questions, so much stuff to buy yet.

Bobb once bubbled...
I just received a drysuit today that I purchased online, and it's great (except that it's to small)

Used gear is fine to buy, just watch out for correct sizes. Learn from my mistakes.
Saw and an for Henderson 2 pc. wet suit. Checked henderson site for sizes. Thought it would fit.
IT DIDN"T !
Great deal on womens BC weight intergrated.
TO BIG!
6.5 wet suit for me
6.5 TO STIFF and ARMS TO LONG. FRONT ZIP TOO I HATE IT.
Besides that everything else seems to be ok. Not sure if I buy a regulator online.

I've been buying "STUFF" of one sort or another from eBay for a while now and nearly all my Scuba gear has come from either there or Leisure Pro. We have a LDS, but their prices are so far out there, that I can't afford them. I do try to support them in other ways where I can, i.e. classes, dive trips, and little stuff. But, not being made of money, I can't afford to pay twice the price for my big-bucks items.
I have seen many of the new items, especially Reg sets with opening bids pf exactly what you would pay on Leisure Pro, and "Buy Now" prices a helluva lot higher. My point being, KNOW what you are buying on eBay, price the items agains LP and don't consider auctions that are even close to the LP price. My personal rule is I will go 50% of LPs price on new or like new items. Less even if the seller has a no returns policy. A great many eBay sellers make their living off auctions and can't afford negative feedback. These are the ones who will provide the best items.
I have over the years seen the quality of Ebay items as a whole go way up. I just purchased an Oceanic Regulator set with Delta 3 2nd stages and Oceanic guages for $250.00. When I took it to the LDS for a checkup, the tech told me that he couldn't tell the thing had ever been wet. I figure I saved at least $250 off the Leisure Pro price.
Good luck

A large portion of my kit is used. Mask, fins, snorkel, boots and weight belt were new. Current BC is sorta new (was returned to factory and refurbed, sold for about 70% of new with full warranty). First BC, wetsuit and Regs were former rentals from my LDS. Weights and all my tanks (5) were used (although 2 of them were reportedly only dove twice, former owner killed in an MVA a month after he purchased and they languished an a basement for 2 years, CAtalina AL80's, not even a scratch on em). I've bought 2 computers (both Oceanic round style), both less than half new retail. The second one was advertised as the computer module and arrived in a console with spg, that I like better than my current unit (more compact), just have to swap and transfer my compass. Also just bought a 6.5mil semi dry on Ebay, for about 1/3 of the asking price of my local LDS. Can't see where it's ever been used and a perect fit.

Rule number one, is don't spend more than you can afford to throw away. On Ebay, yes be careful, but longer term sellers value their "feedback" and don't mis-represent their product. The only item, I ever bought that I didn't think was fairly described, was immediately accepted back and a full refund received.

Kent

There is nothing wrong with buying used gear if you do your research and check it out first.

I been able to get amazing deals on used gear and have had no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom