Is it OK to buy used equipment?

Do you buy used equipment?

• Yes, it is OK to buy anything used as long as it has been maintained properly

Votes: 98 79.0%
  • Yes, but only certain items that aren't vital to life support

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • No - I only buy new equipment

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have lots of new gear, but would I buy used? you bet ya. what alot of people dont get is that alot of gear once serviced (if it is gear that has to be serviced) is as good as new and some times better then new. I would buy a top of the line reg that was used for a fraction of the price cuz its used and get it serviced before I bought a reg that is cheap but new, cuz when the top of the line gets some new orings and all slicked up the cheapie cant touch it.

Also I have never bought a new tank and may never. The life of tanks is mega years (vip yearly and hydro every 5). I can pick up al 80s for as cheap as 60-70 bucks and 72s for 40 bucks and that is vip and hydro. Why would I buy new?? Even my dive computer I have been using for a while was a sweet deal and used and is still kicking beautiful.:)

Everything I have, has been purchased new, at my LDS. I suppose I'm spoiled into thinking that if my life depends on it, I want every possible opportunity for something to go wrong eliminated. It's not a complete guarantee that nothing will go wrong, but it's better than rolling the dice on something used.

A dive buddy of mine has made many purchases of used equipment. Some items are in nearly perfect condition, and were a very good buy. However he has had an almost equal number of very very bad buys, and is now stuck with junk and is out the cash. He himself admits that when he adds up what he spent on gear, and he looks at what I spent. Taking into account the dogs he has adopted in his junk box. We have spent almost the same amount.

What's with the obsession about "supporting your LDS"?

The obsession for me is that if I dont buy certain things from my LDS the LDS wont be there to fill my tanks. When you mix your own gases its nice to have a LDS that you can goto and top off. If they werent there I would have to invest in a compressor. NO thanks! I do buy alot of stuff off line but nothing used. For what you pay for new stuff off of Ebay or over seas its not worth buying used life support equipment.
I purchase the stuff thats under a $100 from my LDS. I also service all my own equipment from parts that I purchase through my LDS.

Online, e-bay, there are lots of other ways to buy used equipment too. Some of my kit is used, at times it is more used than new. I sell off old equipment and buy new stuff.

Some newbie may get a great deal in my old stuff, and like diving better because they were able to afford a higher performance piece of gear. I've been know to sell gear to help someone out even before I get the urge to buy something new or newer.

As for reliability, there is nothing I wouldn't buy used. Everything is either obviously OK or can be rebuilt to "as new working condition". I have also put up 3X5 cards in the LDS telling all what I was looking for, and unless it is in competition with the LDS there won't be a problem.

The one caveat may be in computers. Technology is going at a rate that an old computer is of little or no value on the used market, therefore I still have my old computers. maybe I'll make a museum display of them or something, but my EDGE still works...:)

After some of the comments on this board, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a used dive computer on eBay. I really needed a computer for my upcoming dive trip and I just couldn't settle in on one that had everything I wanted at the price I wanted to pay. I wanted a Suunto Cobra w/compass, but I didn't have the $500 in my budget. Even used on eBay, Cobras go for a lot.

And since this is my first dive computer, I figured I should probably take it easy and buy a reputable "entry level" computer.

So I found a 2002 Sherwood Logic computer on eBay. The seller said it had only 20 dives on it. It was a console mounted model with compass and SPG. The price I paid was only $175, which is about 1/3 retail and $100 less than Leisure Pro's price.

I just got the computer yesterday. It is exactly as was described -- great condition, manual included, nice compass, the works. Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

Even better yet, when I do decide to upgrade to a better computer, I can probaby sell this one for almost as much as I paid for it (since it's so new).

Thx...Doug

It good to know that most of the folks out there are getting a reasonable deal on decent used equipment. I too, just got a used 6.5m farmer john wet suit with hood, gloves and booties (with a hanger thrown in) on Ebay for a very reasonable price.

This was bought from an individual and not a company or someone who sells on Ebay all the time. Some of those are a joke. The want more than you can get it other online places. Buyer beware!
The chance that you take with items that may or may not fit is something you have to gamble on. I seem to fit the "normal" run of the mill and can get away it.

But the unknown does still worry me a bit.

There is more than one ID on there that is actually LP in disguise.

Their "auctions" are usually starting at the same price you could get the gear from their web site for, and their "buy it now" prices are above that!

There's no deal there to be had from them at all...

Once in a while you'll find a genuine deal out there on eBAY. I've found a handful of things, including some that were truly useful and at a great price (like a lightly-used Halcyon setup) - but most of the time the "deals" aren't.

There are a lot of oddities on eBAY when it comes to this kind of gear. Tanks, for example, almost always sell for more than you would pay for them locally for a new one, especially when you factor in the "free" airfills that many shops give you when you buy a new tank. Why would you buy a tank off eBAY in that instance? Makes no sense...

Just do your research... I found a set of sea snips on there for under $10 with a holster for them, which was a pretty good buy, a couple of lift bags at very nice prices, and a couple of other minor things.

I keep my eyes open, but most of the time the bids get above what I think is reasonable before the auction comes to an end...

Once in a while you'll find a genuine deal out there on eBAY. I've found a handful of things, including some that were truly useful and at a great price (like a lightly-used Halcyon setup) - but most of the time the "deals" aren't.

I don't trust the frequent sellers. The slick displays with to much flash and starting prices at what you can find almost anywhere.
If I buy, its like you mentioned; with research and trepidation. I like those independent seller that aren't selling everyday and are not located overseas.

Prices can definitely be wayyyyy out of line on eBay if you are not careful. There are a number of sellers on eBay (the "big" dive guys) that sell their wares higher than Dive Inn or Leisure Pro. Maybe they are fronts for struggling LDS's? Or even fronts for LP or Dive Inn?

And there the other dips**ts out there that think their equipment is worth way more than it is. They obviously don't understand the concept of "depreciation".

Case in point -- look at how much the Suunto Cobra computers go for. It's outrageous. Used Cobras for >$400. *Used*! I can get a new one at Dive Inn or Leisure Pro for $425, so why would I ever risk buying one used? That's nuts. But the idiots that paid $750 from their dive shop think their computer is worth a mint.

Prices are most out of line on the "popular" brands. If you are smart and know that some off-brands are as good as the "popular" brands, you can get some really good deals.

Next case in point -- my Sherwood Logic computer. Similar models from Oceanic sell for much more than the Sherwood on eBay, even though they have the same MSRP when new. Prices are generally driven up by popularity, so that helps explain the discrepancy. The Oceanic name is much more "popular" than the Sherwood when it comes to a dive computer, so more people will bid on the Versa Pro than the Logic. So instead of bidding against thousands of people on an Oceanic Versa Pro computer, I had a much easier time getting the Sherwood Logic.

A little caution and research goes a long way if you decide to delve into the eBay market.

Thx...Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom