Is it dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba41girl

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a question that will probably start a war. i was on the dive boat last night and a friend had his son on the boat. I asked if he was certified and his Dad said he wants him to wait until he is grown (age 15 or older). Another Instructor chimed in that he doesnt believe kids should be certified because research isnt sure of the effects of pressure on kids' bones. These divers are very respected divers who have become friends so it was more of an information discussion. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this subject. My son is almost 13 and he is AOW. He is starting to dive alot and I don't want him to have any growth problems.
So what does everyone think?

No one knows. It could be completely safe...or it could cause him problems. I took a cautious approach when I taught my 13 year old son to dive. I allowed him 2 dive weekends per year and limited his depth to 40 feet. Thos are totally arbitrary, but I was comfortable with the concept.

The concern is probably rooted in the common occurence of osteonecrosis in commercial divers. The epiphyseal line (where long bone growth occurs) doesn't stop doing its thing until a person has reached full height - usually somewhere between 15 and 20 - and the possibility of a hit there is thought to possibly cause problems in long bone growth. No one wants their child to end up with assymetrical growth, for example.
That's the idea... there's no real research to back it up, but that's why there is the 40' max depth recommendation for 10-11 year olds, and 60' for 12-14 year olds.
Rick

For what its worth...totally and completely anecdotal and not statistically significant in any way whatsoever.

My brothers and I were all diving in excess of 60-70 feet at age 12 or so. My brother and I are both 6"8 without any bone/growth issues and my "little" brother is 6"3 and same...no bone/growth issues.

And I met a woman who believes (and her doctors believe) her serious health problems were caused by lots of diving at a young age.

Walter:
And I met a woman who believes (and her doctors believe) her serious health problems were caused by lots of diving at a young age.
but what are the health problems? Do they have to do with growth?

King Kong Matt:
For what its worth...totally and completely anecdotal and not statistically significant in any way whatsoever.

My brothers and I were all diving in excess of 60-70 feet at age 12 or so. My brother and I are both 6"8 without any bone/growth issues and my "little" brother is 6"3 and same...no bone/growth issues.
Strangely enough, King Kong Matt would be 5'2" today if he never took up diving!:D

Walter:
No one knows. It could be completely safe...or it could cause him problems. I took a cautious approach when I taught my 13 year old son to dive. I allowed him 2 dive weekends per year and limited his depth to 40 feet. Thos are totally arbitrary, but I was comfortable with the concept.
2 dive weekends per year!! Ouch!! My son has already done 12 dives in the last 2 months. He is certified to 70ft, but this is making me think twice about taking him that deep.

Back
Top Bottom