Is it dangerous?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got certified when I was 12. And did 30+ 100 foot dives before I was 14. Now I'm 24 and have got well over 1000 dives of various depths, and hundreds over 100 feet and I've never had nor do I have any bone/joint problems. Maybe I just got lucky, but I don't think its all that big of a deal. I would be more worried if a 14 year old is mature enough to dive. If they are let them dive.

freediver:
Strangely enough, King Kong Matt would be 5'2" today if he never took up diving!:D

Actually Matt and his brother would have been 7' 10" and would be multi-millionaires from basketball endorsements....:D

I have twin boys that are 7. I'd like to get them into diving at 11 or 12. If I do they will be kept to 40' or less until they are 16 or older.

King Kong Matt:
For what its worth...totally and completely anecdotal and not statistically significant in any way whatsoever.

My brothers and I were all diving in excess of 60-70 feet at age 12 or so. My brother and I are both 6"8 without any bone/growth issues and my "little" brother is 6"3 and same...no bone/growth issues.

WOW, no growth issues and your 6"8? I should have started diving when my short ***** was younger. Ha Ha :)

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try and keep him at 50 ft unless a really good opportunity arises. lol. It's very interesting to hear all of the different opinions. My biggest obstacle now is my 9 year old. He turns 10 next month and is counting the days until he can be certified. Can you imagine his tears if I tell him I suddenly decided he was too young because diving may effect his bone growth. Can you say meltdown lol

scuba41girl:
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try and keep him at 50 ft unless a really good opportunity arises. lol. It's very interesting to hear all of the different opinions. My biggest obstacle now is my 9 year old. He turns 10 next month and is counting the days until he can be certified. Can you imagine his tears if I tell him I suddenly decided he was too young because diving may effect his bone growth. Can you say meltdown lol
My son just turned 10 and I had these great dreams of training him as soon as he reached the minimum age. However, the more I talk to him about scuba the more I realize he is not ready, both from a physical and maturity standpoint. For now, we continue to freedive together and work toward getting him fully prepared to participate in an OW course. This gives him an opoortuinity to master the fundamental skills necessary to become a competent, proficient diver. He's perfectly fine with it.

I have two boys that are interested in diving. The oldest is 9 and his mom can't wait to get him diving so he can go with us. The youngest is 7 and loves being in the pool snorkling around but hates a reg for now. Something for us to think about I guess. Wish that there were more information on this topic, as popular as diving is in some coastal areas that someone hasn't looked into it before.

Tatakai

I not a doctor either, but the risk might be in a DCS hit in someone who is still growing.

My son 22 and I are divers and my grand daughter gets upset when she can't go with us, she's 3. She likes to put on the mask and sometimes the BCD and says "look I'm a diver". I have been thinking of a junior certification for her when she is old enough. I enjoy shallow dives (30 ft. or less) much more than most deep dives I've been on. More light, more bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom