Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it okay to pee in your wetsuit; yes, just rinse it out somehow before you get back in the boat.

Is it okay to pee in a rental; no but I'm sure any rental out there has been pee'd in. Just another reason to buy.

This is why I would never loan out my suit.

By the way, I have yet to pee in mine. No special reason, just haven't been in the situation where I couldn't hold it yet.

I don't and have never, as a kid I've had a pool in the backyard I peed in my bathingsuit a few times in the pool and played around in the pool afterwards for an hour or so then got out and went for a walk to the store for candy and other stuff and after my suit had dryed I could smell piss on my self and this was like hour and a half after I got out of the pool.
That was the last time I peed myself you can take that to the bank!!!!! :11:

hardhat:
Suits that have been urinated in have such a bad smell to them that you can usually smell the stench at arms length. I don't know about you but I for one don't appreciate human filth or the smell of it and cann't imagine diving in my own waste. But then again I see you're an instructor so I would imagine you spend a lot of time in your own filth with your face in crotches, sniffing around and such.

Dude,
Chill. Didn't know you had such an aversion to urine. Perhaps you should see a shrink about this. Especially since it’s got you imagining others swimming in their own filth and such.

I dive, therefor I pee.....

Seriously, urine is sterile - however, uric acid can cause skin irritation - just rinse it out - "sink the stink" and others can take care of any bacteria/fungus issues - its your gear, take care of it.

Had to make this short, gotta go.....
:wink:

Oh, and the correct statistics are 90% of divers pee in their suits, 9.999% lie about it, and 0.001% have some real body function issues!

hardhat:
But then again I see you're an instructor so I would imagine you spend a lot of time in your own filth with your face in crotches, sniffing around and such.

There does of course come a point when knee-jerk reactions say more about the person who's knee is jerking that about the subject at hand...

...that said, it's interesting to see some of the psychological responses to this question; rather like couples who would happily interact with each other being horrified at the very idea of using each other's toothbrushes.
I think a lot of it is due to the fact that wetting yourself goes against years of programming in social acceptability, and that there's a certain stigma of bestiality attached to it.

I've also met a lot of people who wrinkle their nose at the idea on the grounds of believing it pollutes the environment, a near-groundless objection given the chemical composition of urine (and even more groundless compared to the sheer amount of pollution poured in by various industries worldwide).

Of course, there's the physical question as well as the psychological. Water at depth puts pressure on - besides other things - your kidneys and bladder, which can cause an increased need to urinate, and, personally, I've found that the very fact I'm so relaxed and comfortable in the water is also a factor.

Of course urine, like saltwater crystals, can build up in the suit over time, but then, if it gets to the point where it's really that noticeable then you've probably not been freshwater washing the suit very thoroughly in the first place (which, to be fair, is often a problem with dive schools and rented equipment).

There have been a few times I've really really badly wanted to pee in my wetsuit.

Unfortunately for me, I've got a mental block. I can't pee when I'm in the water. Probably because I did it once in the pool as a little kid and my dad tanned me good for it.

My last dive I'd have given anything to have been able to, let me tell ya.

Besides, I don't think the fish really care one way or the other.

Scuba_John:
While at depth I figure the increased pressure on the blatter will cause the need.
jagfish:
Your bladder should be non-compressable since it is fillled with fluid. For this reason, I believe any solid or fluid part of your body would not feel any effects of pressure...

Only air spaces can feel pressure...

JAG
You are right the pressure has little to do with your need to pee but the need to go underwater is real.

It has to do with the fluid distribution in your body and your bodies reaction to the changes that happen. When you get cold (and this happens in any temp water) blod flow to the extremeties is reduced by the constriction of capalaries in the extremeties. This causes more blood to remain in the core. This is a good thing to keep you warm but your body also sees this as an imbalance of fluid and basicly sends a signal that it is time to pee. If you want more info this get "Diving Physiology In Plain English" ISBN#0930406133 which has a pretty good explaination.

Pete

durian:
Will peeing in a wetsuit harm it in anyway? Is there anyting in urine that may compromise the reliability of a wetsuit?

Peeing in a wetsuit will not cause damage, and as long as you follow these simple guidelines can be quite pleasant and even profitable!
1) Be sure to remove your wetsuit from your closet before peeing in it, or at least move shoes, other garments and important papers away. Remember, if its first thing in the morning its quite possible to reach the shelf above your wetsuit, so be extra careful and know your own strength!
2) Be careful about peeing in your wetsuit if you loan it to friends. Some people become annoyed if you pee in your wetsuit while they're using it.

I didn't bother to read through the previous 8 pages of posts. Geez - if you have to pee in your wetsuit, just do it and then flush it out when you come up. Don't go on about it - the rest of the world can easily be spared this knowledge. Just get a good flush in the water so the rest of the boat doesn't wonder who smuggled the cats onboard.
Someone mentioned haole rot. That's caused by getting a good sunburn, peeling, and then getting burned sunburned again.
There are enough strange smells in the world as it is. Don't add any more unnecessary ones. Mahalo for your kokua.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom