Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to this weekend, about time...........

Rinsing the suit after peeing in it doesn't get rid of all the smell. It needs to be washed out with a good antibacterial soap, then rinse well. If any of my suits come back from a rental with the stench of urine on them the rentee finds themselves out back of the shop washing the suit down real good, or they won't get another piece of rental equipment out of the shop again. Oh and they find themselves hearing about blader control from their buddies.

. . . only if someone else is in it !!!

miketsp:
I used to think the same until about dive number 110.

I don't like doing it but the consequences of forced retention can be more serious and if it's rinsed off quickly the physical after effects in the case of a healthy person are zero.

You really need to keep your fluid intake high while diving so one day it's bound to happen. :wink:
There is an old, true proverb that covers this: When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!

This thread certainly been worth a few laughs. At 43 I have never yet wet my pants, well, after about age 3 I guess. Haven't had any more problems with control under water than I do above, and I like to heavily rehydrate. How many of you who pee in your suits also wet your pants in downtown Newyork City when you can't find a toilet? When I go before a dive and can't hold it till after the dive I'll be counting on the depends :) What a hoot!

hardhat:
Rinsing the suit after peeing in it doesn't get rid of all the smell. It needs to be washed out with a good antibacterial soap, then rinse well. If any of my suits come back from a rental with the stench of urine on them the rentee finds themselves out back of the shop washing the suit down real good, or they won't get another piece of rental equipment out of the shop again. Oh and they find themselves hearing about blader control from their buddies.

So... you stick you face in and smell each and every one as they come back? Do you then smell the person to make sure it is their pee that you smell on the wet suit? “Excuse me miss, but I need to smell your crotch to verify that it is your pee on this wet suit". Do you make the renter smell the wet suit and certify that it is pee free before the take it out? Maybe you should hang signs "our wet suits are 100% pee free” or "you pee in it you bought it"

miketsp:
Given the popularity of this custom(?) I was quite surprised to see a manufacturer's table showing Neoprene + Urine = "Not recommended, severe effects imminent".

See:
http://www.sentranllc.com/pdfs/tb_chem.pdf
page 11/12.

I can only assume that the contact period is short due to immediate rinsing.. :eyebrow:

Now, let's talk about our skin - urine DOES affect the skin, can give rash or any skin abnormalities.

Sue-ba Lips:
Are we rinsing our gear in the same water 20 people just rinsed their pee-soaked wetsuits in? Something to think about next time you pop your reg in your mouth.

My entire response to this point is that you're diving in the same water that this happens in all the time. :11:

tachyon

you know what they say. Don't drink water, fish poop in it!

Rooster:
So... you stick you face in and smell each and every one as they come back? Do you then smell the person to make sure it is their pee that you smell on the wet suit? “Excuse me miss, but I need to smell your crotch to verify that it is your pee on this wet suit". Do you make the renter smell the wet suit and certify that it is pee free before the take it out? Maybe you should hang signs "our wet suits are 100% pee free” or "you pee in it you bought it"

Suits that have been urinated in have such a bad smell to them that you can usually smell the stench at arms length. I don't know about you but I for one don't appreciate human filth or the smell of it and cann't imagine diving in my own waste. But then again I see you're an instructor so I would imagine you spend a lot of time in your own filth with your face in crotches, sniffing around and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom