Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a drysuit with a pee valve. You wear a special condom with a hole in the end that connects to the discharge tube. This way, the urine goes outside of the suit. I have been diving dry for about 18 months now but I have never used the pee valve yet.

I think it is for two reasons: First, I had conditioned myself not to pee in my wetsuit for so long that I can't break the habit. Second, I think that, even if you don't think you get chilled in a wetsuit, you actually do. That will stimulate the urge to urinate. Since I am not getting cold anymore, I don't even feel like I am have to go at all during my half day dive trips. I am even drinking between dives.

Some day, I hope to . . . er, christen . . . my drysuit pee valve. We can all have a big party if everything goes (if you will pardon the word "goes") as it should. :11ztongue Stand by and check back often for the big announcement!

ScubaDadMiami:
I have a drysuit with a pee valve. You wear a special condom with a hole in the end that connects to the discharge tube. This way, the urine goes outside of the suit. I have been diving dry for about 18 months now but I have never used the pee valve yet.

I think it is for two reasons: First, I had conditioned myself not to pee in my wetsuit for so long that I can't break the habit. Second, I think that, even if you don't think you get chilled in a wetsuit, you actually do. That will stimulate the urge to urinate. Since I am not getting cold anymore, I don't even feel like I am have to go at all during my half day dive trips. I am even drinking between dives.

Some day, I hope to . . . er, christen . . . my drysuit pee valve. We can all have a big party if everything goes (if you will pardon the word "goes") as it should. :11ztongue Stand by and check back often for the big announcement!

It was really hard for me to take the first "leak" in my drysuit p-valve! It didn't get easier the second or third or fourth time for that matter. I kept thinking that the condom had come off the tube because I could not feel it under my undergarments. But if you do it on the surface, you can see it come out the valve and it gives you a nice reassurance! Once you know you're not actually going in the suit you feel a lot better, (for more reasons than one!)

Hank49:
I'm not sure about this statement. If you pee before the dive you should be able to last another hour before going again. Unless you get cold on the dive. It seems to me, although I'm no doctor, that as your core temperature begins to drop from exposure, your body starts dumping (in the form of urine) excess water because it takes too much energy to heat it to 98.6. If I don't get cold I don't have to go during the dive. Hank

i dunno, pee just before the dive and then I have to pee right when i get in the water, and then AGAIN by the end of the dive! I have no idea why, I guess its just the toothpaste tube getting squeezed, its gotta come out somewhere! On land I hardly ever have to pee compared to most people. Who knows. But I do have to admit I decided to cut down on the habit after my suit started stinking even though I was rinsing the hell outta it.

Are we rinsing our gear in the same water 20 people just rinsed their pee-soaked wetsuits in? Something to think about next time you pop your reg in your mouth.

I had to go once in my wetsuit and will never do it again. It's just gross. Hydrate well before the dive and go before getting in the water.

If you do have to go, make sure to get some water in the suit too before exiting. This makes it a little less gross but not really.

durian:
Will peeing in a wetsuit harm it in anyway? Is there anyting in urine that may compromise the reliability of a wetsuit?

You do know the best part about wet suits?

No matter how scared you are, no one ever has to know.

miketsp:
There has been quite a bit of discussion on the Internet about a relationship between urine in pools and asthma.
Example:

"Researchers in Belgium have found that chlorine in pools can react with sweat or urine to create harmful fumes which can damage lungs.
They believe exposure to these fumes leaves children susceptible to allergens, which may then trigger asthma.
But other experts have criticized the study and have dismissed the claims. "
See
http://www.rxtm.co.nz/general_health/asthma/asthma_pool_chemicals_article.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2943290.stm

I have to call BS on this one.

outlawaggie:
I have to call BS on this one.
Well, urine can/does contain/break down into ammonia and mixing ammonia with chlorine is really bad news.

However, I don't think the concentrations are high enough to warrant any concern. Not really BS but not really an issue either.

v_1matst:
Well, urine can/does contain/break down into ammonia and mixing ammonia with chlorine is really bad news.

However, I don't think the concentrations are high enough to warrant any concern. Not really BS but not really an issue either.

You are right on the money. It would take a few thousand people to add enough urine to a swimming pool to get "harmful fumes". As a scientist I would love to see the results of that Belgium study.

waterwraith:
You are right on the money. It would take a few thousand people to add enough urine to a swimming pool to get "harmful fumes". As a scientist I would love to see the results of that Belgium study.

You must of course remember that Belgians are great beer drinkers... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom