Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3dent:
Yes I have.

I, however, like to rinse my wetsuit immediately. Unzipping part-way and tugging on the midsection a few times tends to flush it pretty well. This introduces cold water that must be warmed by your body, but I prefer that to continuing the dive in a puddle of urine.

What ever you do, PLEASE rinse it before getting back on the boat...

I refuse to open my zipper in cold water mid dive.
Surely you know the side effects.

In the 17th and 18th centuries, cannon balls were stored on the decks of a war-ship in a pyramid shaped pile using a frame called a monkey to keep them in place. Sometimes these frames were made of brass, which could contract substantially in very cold weather and the balls would roll out of the frames. Hence the expresson - 'Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey' !

When necessary I unequip while in the water at the platform, hand up my gear and then flush out before climbing aboard. :wink:

When I started diving in the late '60's it was normal
to pee when necessary in wetsuits. In UK conditions
it was a welcome way of warming up the second half
of the dive.

However we had one guy who couldn't bring himself
to do it. On one dive in near perfect conditions at about
45ft, he signalled to his buddy that he wanted to surface.
Fearing some problem, his buddy carefully accompanied
him to the surface. Once there, our diver pulled himself
with difficulty onto a barnacle covered rock, stripped
off half his kit and peed into the water with some relief.

His buddy was not pleased at this interuption and took
pleasure in pointing out that the whole proceedings on
the rock were being observed by a group of ladies who
were walking on the cliff above. :11:

miketsp:
Given the popularity of this custom(?) I was quite surprised to see a manufacturer's table showing Neoprene + Urine = "Not recommended, severe effects imminent".

See:
http://www.sentranllc.com/pdfs/tb_chem.pdf
page 11/12.

I can only assume that the contact period is short due to immediate rinsing.. :eyebrow:
I went to that link, intresting.

I noticed that they even tested for the compatability of "Sperm". My question is- who sat in a laboratory and thought that a diver would want to know if SPERM would have a decompsosition effect on his wetsuit at depth? I personaly have never wondered about this, nor have I ever been in a situation where I would HAVE to wonder about the effects.

Who test's for this? How? How do you conduct an interview for a potential employee to perform these test's? How would the Help Wanted ad be worded? Would you have to have references? Be able to document experience?

Too much time on somebody's hands........must have been a study funded by the Gov't.

The Stadium Pal

Where on earth would that bag be while wearing a wetsuit? I cannot see how to get a wetsuit on over a bag like that wrapped around my calf. And how does that latex condom stay on when the penis decides to retract and hide behind the belly when the water is really cold?

Hank49:
I'm not sure about this statement. If you pee before the dive you should be able to last another hour before going again. Unless you get cold on the dive. It seems to me, although I'm no doctor, that as your core temperature begins to drop from exposure, your body starts dumping (in the form of urine) excess water because it takes too much energy to heat it to 98.6. If I don't get cold I don't have to go during the dive. Hank
I have to say that if I drink water at good rate which in a tropical climate is advised and drink the water offered on the boat is runs through and ends up being expelled. While at depth I figure the increased pressure on the blatter will cause the need. If you dive many times durring the day and even on a week long vacation the core temp. drops hense the reason why I also sometimes wear a sweatshirt. But again everyone is different so the affects are going to be different.

MVillanueva:
The Stadium Pal

Where on earth would that bag be while wearing a wetsuit? I cannot see how to get a wetsuit on over a bag like that wrapped around my calf. And how does that latex condom stay on when the penis decides to retract and hide behind the belly when the water is really cold?

It was meant as a joke mate. :crafty:

I wasn't seriously advocating it.

MVillanueva:
Where on earth would that bag be while wearing a wetsuit? I cannot see how to get a wetsuit on over a bag like that wrapped around my calf.
You don't need the bag... just extend the tube all the way out of the suit.
And how does that latex condom stay on when the penis decides to retract and hide behind the belly when the water is really cold?
The same way they stay attached when using one of these with a drysuit:
http://www.halcyon.net/exposure/discharge.shtml

It works quite well, and it is glued on :D

Scuba_John:
While at depth I figure the increased pressure on the blatter will cause the need.
Your bladder should be non-compressable since it is fillled with fluid. For this reason, I believe any solid or fluid part of your body would not feel any effects of pressure...

Only air spaces can feel pressure...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom