Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miketsp:
I don't know about that but you saw that neoprene is not affected by Soy Sauce so if you want to take some down for a Sushi, no problem. :wink:
Yummy - fresh sashimi!!

Scuba_John:
In short as I always tell divers "if you not peeing you not drinking enough water" :)

I'm not sure about this statement. If you pee before the dive you should be able to last another hour before going again. Unless you get cold on the dive. It seems to me, although I'm no doctor, that as your core temperature begins to drop from exposure, your body starts dumping (in the form of urine) excess water because it takes too much energy to heat it to 98.6. If I don't get cold I don't have to go during the dive. Hank

Peeing in the pool is still bad form, wetsuit or not.
Ocean, Lake, River, Quarry - ok.
pool - bad .

Urine, in a healthy individual, is sterile.

Urinating into your wetsuit does not typically cause any harm to the suit itself. However, if you fail to wash it, and you let it dry, it will get stinky. It will smell like urine.

TwoBit

HarleyDiver:
pool - bad .

I will never understand this. As a pool professional, the amount of urine added to the pool is ( or should be) instantly neutralized by the chlorine in the pool and the dilution factor is tremendous.

The average individual adds 3 grams of fecal material to a swimming pool. No one freaks out about that.

TwoBit

Contrary to the belief that peeing in the wetsuit will warm you up, (which it dies momentarily, the overall calorific loss, added to increased circulation to the skin as a result of the warm contact, causes an overall LOSS of heat.

If you pee, be polite and rinse as you get out, and wash your wetsuit well.

DONT PEE IN RENTALS.

Pee infused wetsuits do smell, and I believe that there is a relationship between wetsuit fungus and peeing. Wetsuit fungus causes pale blotches on the skin (as if you had peeled from sunburn a few days ago) that wont go away. You can get rid of wetsuit fungus by using dandruff shampoo as a shower Gel instead of soap for a week or two.

you will have less problems with all of this if you dry your wetsuit inside out too.

TwoBitTxn:
I will never understand this. As a pool professional, the amount of urine added to the pool is ( or should be) instantly neutralized by the chlorine in the pool and the dilution factor is tremendous.

The average individual adds 3 grams of fecal material to a swimming pool. No one freaks out about that.

TwoBit

YIKES.. making me have second thoughts about jumping in since it sounds like a toilet bowl now!

cancun mark:
Pee infused wetsuits do smell, and I believe that there is a relationship between wetsuit fungus and peeing. Wetsuit fungus causes pale blotches on the skin (as if you had peeled from sunburn a few days ago) that wont go away. You can get rid of wetsuit fungus by using dandruff shampoo as a shower Gel instead of soap for a week or two..

the white spots you're referring to.....I have heard this is a fungus also but unless there are different species of it, I don't believe it's caused by fungus cultured in a wetsuit. In Hawaii they call it "haole rot". Visible on lots of surfers and body surfers. Hard to get rid of...more like ring worm. Takes days of constant application of an anti fungal cream.

HarleyDiver:
pool - bad .

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the Internet about a relationship between urine in pools and asthma.
Example:

"Researchers in Belgium have found that chlorine in pools can react with sweat or urine to create harmful fumes which can damage lungs.
They believe exposure to these fumes leaves children susceptible to allergens, which may then trigger asthma.
But other experts have criticized the study and have dismissed the claims. "
See
http://www.rxtm.co.nz/general_health/asthma/asthma_pool_chemicals_article.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2943290.stm

Back
Top Bottom