Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
the white spots you're referring to.....I have heard this is a fungus also but unless there are different species of it, I don't believe it's caused by fungus cultured in a wetsuit. In Hawaii they call it "haole rot". Visible on lots of surfers and body surfers. Hard to get rid of...more like ring worm. Takes days of constant application of an anti fungal cream.

"haole rot" I love it,

All I know is that there is a relationship between those who have old nanky smelly wetsuits, and the prominence of the fungus.

Try the dandruff shampoo trick, it works much better than the anti fungal cream.

cancun mark:
Contrary to the belief that peeing in the wetsuit will warm you up, (which it dies momentarily, the overall calorific loss, added to increased circulation to the skin as a result of the warm contact, causes an overall LOSS of heat.

I have to disagree on this one Mark. As someone used to diving wet in 45 degree water, I can assure you that the warming effects are substantial and last at least 20 minutes or so... or rather, they do when insulated from the seawater by 7/14mm of neoprene. Results in a 3mm wetsuit in Cancun may vary from my experience considerably.

I'd also like to add that I've been diving with the same wetsuit since 1991, and haven't had problems with either fungus or dissolving neoprene.

After seeing a barraccuda take a leak on day, i figured since i was swimming in it already, why not be comfortable??

fgray1:
90% of divers pee in their wet suit.
The other 10% lie about not peeing in their wet suit.
:eyebrow:
Fred

Well, I must not be a diver then. I have not, do not and will not urinate in something I'm wearing -- on purpose. And I'm NOT lying. Are people actually serious about that statement? I just don't think I could bring myself to do it. I haven't done a whole lot of dives though either...

stsiddall:
Well, I must not be a diver then. I have not, do not and will not urinate in something I'm wearing -- on purpose. And I'm NOT lying. Are people actually serious about that statement? I just don't think I could bring myself to do it. I haven't done a whole lot of dives though either...

I used to think the same until about dive number 110.

I don't like doing it but the consequences of forced retention can be more serious and if it's rinsed off quickly the physical after effects in the case of a healthy person are zero.

You really need to keep your fluid intake high while diving so one day it's bound to happen. :wink:

This has been discussed MANY time on SB. The funniest advice I read was: If your going to pee in your wetsuit, just make sure it's not tucked into your boots. Your just asking for trouble.
Sorry I can't remember who originally said it. But i thought it was excellent advice.

Kat:
Contents under pressure

Very appropriate considering the subject.. :eyebrow:

Yes I have.

I, however, like to rinse my wetsuit immediately. Unzipping part-way and tugging on the midsection a few times tends to flush it pretty well. This introduces cold water that must be warmed by your body, but I prefer that to continuing the dive in a puddle of urine.

What ever you do, PLEASE rinse it before getting back on the boat...

stsiddall:
I will not urinate in something I'm wearing -- on purpose. And I'm NOT lying. Are people actually serious about that statement?

Maybe you've never been cold enough or had to go badly enough. Out of curiosity, if you were 5 minutes into your one and only shot at the dive of your dreams, and suddenly had the urgent need to pee, what would you do? Abort the dive, or cross your legs and do the dance for the next 35 minutes?

I once saw someone who felt the same way trying to get out of their gear on a dive boat ASAP so they could strip off two layers of wetsuit and run to the head. It was VERY funny.

No, the vast majority of divers aren't bothered by it.

Back
Top Bottom