Is it bad to pee in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohmdiver:
That's wild. Where would you suggest placing the bag?

Bag?!? There is no bag inside your suit. You put a hole on your drysuit (hard thing to do, I know) and install the valve. You place the catheter on your (ahem) and attatch it to the valve tubing. When you need to relieve yourself, you just go and it is routed out of your suit through the valve.
They work very well, although it is hard to let yourself go the first time as you don't know if you have a solid connection until you see movement from the valve.

hardhat:
Check out "The Urinator" pee valve made by Dive Rite at http://www.dive-rite.com/products/dry/urinator.htm this is the one you want if you're putting a pee valve into a drysuit. Don't have to undo any screws or anything you know, just go. It's the Cadilac of pee valves.
I don't know about the Cadillac, maybe a Pinto. What do you do if the check valve fails? No screw to stop the water from flooding your suit. The EE valve has a bolt as a buckup incase a check valve fails. You don't have to unscrew it to use the valve. You screw it in if something goes wrong.
And you don't have to disassemble the valve to install it!

TwoBitTxn:
The average individual adds 3 grams of fecal material to a swimming pool. No one freaks out about that.
Whoa. Okay I'm freaking out about that.

According to the back of the box of Ritz crackers I'm munching on, each cracker weighs roughly 3 grams... One can assume that there is a great discrepancy in levels of personal hygeine so my guess is that an occasional person is leaving behind the proverbial tootsie roll in the pool. :blink:

It's the Cadilac of pee valves.[/QUOTE]

My wife was reading over my shoulder and wanted to know if they make one for women? I am going to go back and look.

I got to say I never really gave it much thought before, my instructor alwat suggested a device he called a "Texas Catherter".

Robert Phillips:
I don't know about the Cadillac, maybe a Pinto. What do you do if the check valve fails? No screw to stop the water from flooding your suit. The EE valve has a bolt as a buckup incase a check valve fails. You don't have to unscrew it to use the valve. You screw it in if something goes wrong.
And you don't have to disassemble the valve to install it!

I guess you must dive wet, because if you dove dry you might notice that the inflate and the exhaust valves on the dry suit need to be disassembled to install them, and they don't leak once installed. As for a check valve failing, this valve is constructed pretty much the same as an exhaust valve on an dry suit and I haven't seen many fail, unless they are poorly maintained or they are very old.

By the way if any-one is interested OMS also makes a simlar pee-valve.

ohmdiver:
It's the Cadilac of pee valves.

My wife was reading over my shoulder and wanted to know if they make one for women? I am going to go back and look.

I got to say I never really gave it much thought before, my instructor alwat suggested a device he called a "Texas Catherter".[/QUOTE]

You could adapt one of these valves for a woman, take a look at http://www.stadiumpal.com/stadiumpal.html , for the replacement or equivalent of the male condom catherter. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

hardhat:
I guess you must dive wet, because if you dove dry you might notice that the inflate and the exhaust valves on the dry suit need to be disassembled to install them, and they don't leak once installed. As for a check valve failing, this valve is constructed pretty much the same as an exhaust valve on an dry suit and I haven't seen many fail, unless they are poorly maintained or they are very old.

By the way if any-one is interested OMS also makes a simlar pee-valve.

You guess wrong. The inflate and exhaust valves on a drysuit do not need to be disassembled to install them. They have a nut that screw to a threaded shaft that fastens them to the suit. On the exhaust valve, you may have to remove the bezel to get at the nut, but you don't have to disassemble the valve. The EE P-Valve is of the same design. If the exhaust valve fails, you may be able to close it still. Can you do that with the Dive Rite Urinator?

Robert Phillips:
You guess wrong. The inflate and exhaust valves on a drysuit do not need to be disassembled to install them. They have a nut that screw to a threaded shaft that fastens them to the suit. On the exhaust valve, you may have to remove the bezel to get at the nut, but you don't have to disassemble the valve. The EE P-Valve is of the same design. If the exhaust valve fails, you may be able to close it still. Can you do that with the Dive Rite Urinator?

I'm not guessing at how an exhaust valve and the Urinator are simlar, they both unscrew ( in half ) you punch a hole through the suit to accept they male half of the valve, once a sealant has been applied to that half, then you connect the two halves back together again with any gaskets placed in between the two halves. I know this not because I've done these installs to my own suit but have done hundreds of these installs in the shop that I work in. You are right that if the Urinator fails it cann't be closed, but you are wrong about closing off an exhaust valve if it fails. If it fails it's because of the diaphram has failed and there isn't really anything you can do but abort the dive or just live with being wet ( not a good idea ). But then if you weren't one of those DIR wiennies you might by bothered to find out how things work for real instead of taking things as gosple from the other DIR sheep that are around you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom