Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the lowering of one's expectations of what DAN can do is an outcome of this thread/case. Essentially, a diver is on their own and better have the resources to get care on their own; because, unfortunately, help is really not a phone call away.

If you rely on someone else to save you, scuba diving might not be the best hobby for you.

If you can’t accept the inherent risk of diving, scuba diving might not be for you.

Obviously EMS are important and should be as efficient as possible but they don’t have a magic wand.

(That’s the proverbial you, not individual specific)

Based on this one situation where the facts are not fully known, you said “In a true emergency seems DAN is pretty useless”. As you have no real proof to back that up, it could be viewed as somewhat defamatory.

I’m honestly amazed at how quick some are to jump to conclusions before we know all of the facts. If it turns out that DAN did not live up to their obligations, then I’m all for sticking it to them - but we don’t know that at this point.

Hopefully, we get the follow up to sort this out so all can benefit from a better understanding how DAN membership and insurance works in a true emergency when needed… and DAN makes any necessary changes if this incident does prove shortcomings in their processes.
Agree that ALL the facts are not currently known, we all understand that.

However, IMO, some items presented in the video should be enough to be certain that DAN did not provide immediate EVAC (which Woody arranged and paid for himself to the order of $8700) or take care of the Doctors Hospital admin fee ($18k again paid by Woody to gain entry to the hyperbaric facility).

Those who personally know Woody or Gus, may have more confidence regarding the story as presented so far.

Call DAN immediately. They didn't. Had they called around 1700 instead of 2030 them he probably could have gotten a flight right away. Their delay delayed everything.
I am talking about the given situation. Yes, they delayed and maybe they should have gone immediately to the hospital. They didn't; part of the spiral as Gareth Locke would say. However, given their decision to wait until dinner to go to the hospital, given a DCS Level 2 diagnosis and DAN is a 24 hour wait; what do you do?

If you rely on someone else to save you, scuba diving might not be the best hobby for you.

If you can’t accept the inherent risk of diving, scuba diving might not be for you.

Obviously EMS are important and should be as efficient as possible but they don’t have a magic wand.

What does that have to do with insurance coverage?

Denial, denial, denial. They're clowns

View attachment 818800
Interesting to see their comments, especially the bottom one. The fact is that, in some locations, DAN can’t immediately help you so you should take that into consideration if planning a risky dive.

Regardless of whether DAN screwed up here or not (the jury is still out on that until all facts are known), they seem to think that DAN is a magic resource that can render assistance almost immediately anywhere and anytime. That is just not realistic.

As an example, I was in Little Cayman in September - i was told that the airport closes at night as there are no runway lights, so no planes can land there to rescue you at night. If the seas are rough, no boat can ferry you to Cayman Brac where a rescue plane could land. Therefore, one should really consider that if planning a risky late day dive as help would not be coming until the next morning at the earliest.

However, IMO, some items presented in the video are enough to be certain that DAN did not provide immediate EVAC (which Woody arranged and paid for himself to the order of $8700) or take care of the Doctors Hospital admin fee ($18k again paid by Woody to gain entry to the hyperbaric facility).

Those who personally know Woody or Gus, may have more confidence regarding the story as presented so far.
I completely disagree - we still only have 1 side of the story on those items as well. I prefer to wait for the facts before casting any judgment on either side.

If you are unwilling to change your diving to be safe, then diving might not be for you.

The best way to be healed, is to never get hurt in the first place. There is no such thing as an "undeserved hit". You may not understand why you've been injured, but it's still your diving that got you there. My diving has slowed considerably as I have aged, but I was never a part of the no-holds-barred reckless brand of diving that puts me in danger over and over. In fact, after over 50 years of diving, I've yet to have even a niggling of being bent, because I err way, way, way on the side of being conservative. Too many divers are willing to dance close to the edge of our understanding, so it's no wonder to anyone but themselves that every now and then, they fall off.

There is absolutely nothing down there worth getting hurt, maimed or killed for. Nothing. Accidents will happen, so there's no need to try and dive in a manner, that chance will catch up with you. Safe diving is no accident. Know your limits and honor them.

Interesting to see their comments, especially the bottom one. The fact is that, in some locations, DAN can’t immediately help you so you should take that into consideration if planning a risky dive.

Regardless of whether DAN screwed up here or not (the jury is still out on that until all facts are known), they seem to think that DAN is a magic resource that can render assistance almost immediately anywhere and anytime. That is just not realistic.

As an example, I was in Little Cayman in September - i was told that the airport closes at night as there are no runway lights, so no planes can land there to rescue you at night. If the seas are rough, no boat can ferry you to Cayman Brac where a rescue plane could land. Therefore, one should really consider that if planning a risky late day dive as help would not be coming until the next morning at the earliest.
Cocos is another good example.

I am talking about the given situation. Yes, they delayed and maybe they should have gone immediately to the hospital. They didn't; part of the spiral as Gareth Locke would say. However, given their decision to wait until dinner to go to the hospital, given a DCS Level 2 diagnosis and DAN is a 24 hour wait; what do you do?
I would pay for it. If I needed to I could pony up $50k without much effort to save my life or my family's. I would then start the battle to get reimbursed and refill my coffers and pay off the CC.

People should not be traveling with a CC limit under $10k. It isn't hard or far fetched to get a $20k card or two. Ask for an increase every 6 months until you've reached a usable limit.

Also, increasing your credit limit will help your credit score because you're now using less % each time it's used. Win win

However, IMO, some facts proven in the video are enough to be certain that DAN did not provide immediate EVAC (which Woody arranged and paid for himself to the order of $8700) or take care of the Doctors Hospital admin fee ($18k again paid by Woody to gain entry to the hyperbaric facility).

These facts are from a YouTube video made by an inherently biased party;

What does that have to do with insurance coverage?

It has to do with you expressing discontent about us “being on our own” and the “lowering of expectations”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom