Info Is DAN Insurance worthwhile?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had DAN coverage since 1992; have had a handful of claims over three decades, involving a ruptured eardrum, the most serious being an issue with urchin spines along with a five day hospital stay on an IV drip -- due to a colossal staph infection; that, and dental barotrauma (an "exploding" tooth, no less) — and have nothing but good things to say about them and their coverage (renewed my membership back in September) . . .

Listen to those two on video I'd rather get dcs

I cancelled out of dan when they stopped sending out the customer pack and membership card

"In order to reduce our environmental impact'

No, DAN is not worthless. I've never had a dive accident but DAN has paid out about $20K to me for medical cancellation of trips over the last 20 years. Never even the slightest issue with a claim.
Hardly a medical emergency for DCS though, which is what we really need cover for.

I've never had to use them either and from my local knowledge I don't know of anyone who has here in UAE, where we are covered by DAN Europe.

DAN's delays and requests to have forms filled in before they do anything doesn't make them sound very efficient.

IMO, it's probably too early for anyone to "take sides" on this.

I've heard great things about DAN for quite some time, from lots of divers, and practically nothing negative.

I have yet to see Dive Talk engage in shady behavior, such as excessive click-bait. Setting aside how accurate their story is or isn't, anyone who has been around the dive-community could predict that throwing DAN under the bus, would predictably be highly controversial and piss off half the dive community. Anyone with an IQ above 50 could see this us extremely unlikely to help their channel.

IMO, the whole "Woody is a millionaire" discussion is bordering off-topic, especially since there's no chance Dive Talk is getting even a very tiny fraction of that from YouTube or clicks. If anything this shows how little he would benefit from click-bait. I will say that in any dispute, it's quite normal and common for people to tell the best side of their story so I think it would be prudent for people to not start "picking sides."

---

Giving both Dive Talk and Dan some benefit-of-the-doubt, the only relatively reliably conclusion I'm taking away from this so far, is it's worth being aware that if you do have a dive-related injury in locations without the best medical care or a broken healthcare system, you could end up in a similar situation.

Screenshot of DANs home page...
Kinda gives you the impression that you are going to get immediately whisked away for medical treatment in an emergency, doesn't it?
It's the reason I've had Dan over the years. Not because I needed health insurance.

Maybe it's fair to say they will reimburse you for the deco chamber treatment costs and the transportation to it. But the question is are they selling you emergency evac services with the policy or just the ability to get reimbursed.?

And if they are reimbursing you, do they make it clear you may need to outlay the initial cost of treatment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240101_061055_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240101_061055_Chrome.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 141
That video is something like 1:34 long. I tried listening and just couldn’t.
ah you should it will give you good insight of what happen and the complexity of dealing with DAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom