Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG Christi, you were part of that spring break bunch?

I remember the news reports clearly, and it still haunts me to this day what they did to him in the way of torture--the newscasters didn't spare much.

Yes I was...needless to say, I have never been back to Matamoros or South Padre Island since...over 20 years ago. Mark was a good friend and I have no doubt he would have been a very successful man now. RIP Mark!

. . .just watch out on those cave/cenote diving side trips on the mainland Yucatan (FYI, there's an interesting thread in The Deco Stop Board regarding the top 5 unsafe cenotes regarding vehicle break-ins, theft and even armed robbery.)

Indeed there is, however note that only 3 sites with problems have been named, and only one seems to have a problem, and that is vehicle break-ins, not armed robbery. Sadly vehicle braek-ins are an all too common here in Cali as well at trail heads in the Sierras, my truck has a window smashed at Lake Sabrina so some jerk-off could steal about $6 in change from the ash tray..

For what it's worth, i feel safer in Coz today than the first few times i went there in the late 80's, early 90's.

This thread brings back to memory this issues of the day back then. Pre 9-11 terrorism issues throughout South America and the Caribbean. Cozumel was a much smaller place back then. It was very common to see armed soldiers patrolling town and throughout the island. I remember a little shack outpost they had out by the lighthouse, squad sized unit, M-16's, flak jackets, the works. They were stationed (living) out there. No one was talking about that back then as i recall. Of course the media was no where near as "sophisticated" (and i use that term very loosely) as they are now.

Same thing was going on in other places in the Caribbean like Puerto Rico. Old San Juan had armed soldiers on every other corner around that time also.

As mentioned earlier, i feel safer in Coz than i do in many places right here. It's all perspective. To me Coz is more than worth the relatively small risks that come with being there. Today i worry more about the plane rides to and from than anything that could happen on the island.

Nope

You are safer in Cozumel than almost anywhere in the USA
But our Gov't & Law Enforcement Infrastructure is in much better shape and more reliable than Mexico's or any other Third World Country, should you ever be in trouble or need any aid/assistance. . .

(Note: The Republican Party probably would contest the above statement:wink: )

Last edited:
Indeed there is, however note that only 3 sites with problems have been named, and only one seems to have a problem, and that is vehicle break-ins, not armed robbery. Sadly vehicle braek-ins are an all too common here in Cali as well at trail heads in the Sierras, my truck has a window smashed at Lake Sabrina so some jerk-off could steal about $6 in change from the ash tray..
So would you accept then, a US or County Park Ranger glibly telling you don't camp/hike at Lake Sabrina or any other trail head in the Sierras anymore in order to prevent opportunistic vehicle break-ins and theft?

Essentially that's what Mexican Authorities were telling these divers who were crime victims: just don't go cave diving at these cenote sites again. Is that an acceptable/ameliorable solution?:confused:

So would you accept then, a US or County Park Ranger glibly telling you don't camp/hike at Lake Sabrina or any other trail head in the Sierras anymore in order to prevent opportunistic vehicle break-ins and theft?

Essentially that's what Mexican Authorities were telling these divers who were crime victims: just don't go cave diving at these cenote sites again. Is that an acceptable/ameliorable solution?:confused:
And your point is...? Most of us have been to Cozumel, and many of that group have been there many times. We know it is a different country. We know that the rules there are different. We know that there are drugs and crime everywhere in the world, even in Cozumel. We know what it is like there from firsthand "boots on the ground" experience. When I say that I feel safe there, it's from my many experiences there over the last 30 years.

But our Gov't & Law Enforcement Infrastructure is in much better shape and more reliable than Mexico's or any other Third World Country, should you ever be in trouble or need any aid/assistance. . .

(Note: The Republican Party probably would contest the above statement:wink: )

I don't disagree with your overall point, but I think you're looking at U.S. law enforcement through far too rosy of glasses. LE anywhere is mostly reactive. For all the crimes committed, rarely is law enforcement going to be able to be there to stop it or prevent it. At best they can hope to arrest the perpetrator after the fact. And in every state or federal park I've ever been to the parking lot sign clearly states that they are not responsible for damage or theft to your vehicle and that you park there at your own risk. The implication being that if you don't like these provisions, don't park there. I can't speak for every city or town, but the one's I've been to see vehicle burglaries as a low-priority crime and assign very few, if any, resources to it full-time. At best they'll come out and take a report to file away somewhere. And yes, I've heard U.S. law enforcement blame the victim. As in, "well, you shouldn't have left your purse in plain sight." Or "what did you expect to happen when you left the keys in the car?!"

My point is (and quite a few other posters): Crime happens everywhere. So no matter what country, state, or town you're in, don't just rely on law enforcement to protect you, use your own common sense. If you don't have any common sense, borrow, buy, or rent some. Anecdotally, statistically, or any other way you choose to measure it, Cozumel is a comparatively safe place to visit. I don't drive in to Juarez anymore (not because I fear being targeted for a crime, but because the amateur hitmen there use the "spray and pray" method of killing and I really don't want to be caught in the crossfire), but Cozumel gives me no reason for any above average concern.

One evening while visiting Chicago and strolling around to see the sights, a policeman stopped us and told us that if we traveled more than one block further in the direction we were heading, we were taking our lives in our hands.

Once while walking in Melbourne, Australia we had an identical experience.

Another time in Chicago my niece got off at the wrong stop on the El and a lady behind the ticket counter saw her, ran out from behind the counter, and shoved her back on the train because of the danger to her.

The warning that parking at a dive site could result in the theft of anything in your vehicle is a standard part of the Bonaire experience.

I don't disagree with your overall point, but I think you're looking at U.S. law enforcement through far too rosy of glasses. LE anywhere is mostly reactive. For all the crimes committed, rarely is law enforcement going to be able to be there to stop it or prevent it. At best they can hope to arrest the perpetrator after the fact. And in every state or federal park I've ever been to the parking lot sign clearly states that they are not responsible for damage or theft to your vehicle and that you park there at your own risk. The implication being that if you don't like these provisions, don't park there. I can't speak for every city or town, but the one's I've been to see vehicle burglaries as a low-priority crime and assign very few, if any, resources to it full-time. At best they'll come out and take a report to file away somewhere. And yes, I've heard U.S. law enforcement blame the victim. As in, "well, you shouldn't have left your purse in plain sight." Or "what did you expect to happen when you left the keys in the car?!"

My point is (and quite a few other posters): Crime happens everywhere. So no matter what country, state, or town you're in, don't just rely on law enforcement to protect you, use your own common sense. If you don't have any common sense, borrow, buy, or rent some. Anecdotally, statistically, or any other way you choose to measure it, Cozumel is a comparatively safe place to visit. I don't drive in to Juarez anymore (not because I fear being targeted for a crime, but because the amateur hitmen there use the "spray and pray" method of killing and I really don't want to be caught in the crossfire), but Cozumel gives me no reason for any above average concern.

Great post...summing it all up very nicely and accurately :)

FWIW...I brought this topic of the recent travel advisories up with my crew and boyfriend, who is a Mexican from Guadalajara.

ALL of them laughed when I told them what was being said on the internet. They all had the same thing to say..."this has been going on for as long as I've been alive" and there have always been drug gangs in Cozumel and of course all over Mexico...JUST like in the US and other countries.

It's just that with the recent problems, it's making news again...but once again...it's nothing new...and nothing that tourists need to be worried about. Stay out of trouble...don't go in search of drugs on the island, and don't wander off in neighborhoods that you aren't familiar with so you won't be caught in the wrong place where drug gangs are up to no good.

Kevrumbo...Just curious, when was the last time you were in Cozumel and how many times have you been here? Did you have a bad experience here? Your posts re Cozumel seem very negative...so I was just wondering. BTW...my questions are sincere and not meant to be an interrogation...just true curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom