Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My girlfriend and I have been diving on Cozumel and the cenotes on the mainland for several years. In addition to diving, we rent a car and take some trips around the coastal areas of the Yucatan.

I'm afraid to report that I feel safer in that part of Mexico than I do back in the USA. Once you get away from the border towns, the Mexican people are nicer and more trustworthy than Americans. It's such a different world than the border area (and I have spent most of my life in southern California and New Mexico).

Unfortunately, the Mexican police are not trustworthy at all, and I have infinitely more confidence in the American justice system than I do in the Mexican system. (We all know that all American cops are on the take just like the Mexican cops, but the American cops aren't so obviously corrupt.)

So I think you're less likely to run into problems in Cozumel... But if you do get into trouble, God help you because the police are all blatantly corrupt.

Regarding the "unsafe" cenotes -- I can't even park my car at a trailhead in the USA anymore because of break-ins. The problem is infinitely worse in the USA than it is in Mexico.

But our Gov't & Law Enforcement Infrastructure is in much better shape and more reliable than Mexico's or any other Third World Country, should you ever be in trouble or need any aid/assistance. . .

(Note: The Republican Party probably would contest the above statement:wink: )
Perhaps.....

But the key is not to find yourself in a situation where you need the assistance of the authorities -

I think the central point is regardless of what's happening in other areas of Mexico, Cozumel remains very safe.

Great post...summing it all up very nicely and accurately :)

FWIW...I brought this topic of the recent travel advisories up with my crew and boyfriend, who is a Mexican from Guadalajara.

ALL of them laughed when I told them what was being said on the internet. They all had the same thing to say..."this has been going on for as long as I've been alive" and there have always been drug gangs in Cozumel and of course all over Mexico...JUST like in the US and other countries.

It's just that with the recent problems, it's making news again...but once again...it's nothing new...and nothing that tourists need to be worried about. Stay out of trouble...don't go in search of drugs on the island, and don't wander off in neighborhoods that you aren't familiar with so you won't be caught in the wrong place where drug gangs are up to no good.

Kevrumbo...Just curious, when was the last time you were in Cozumel and how many times have you been here? Did you have a bad experience here? Your posts re Cozumel seem very negative...so I was just wondering. BTW...my questions are sincere and not meant to be an interrogation...just true curiosity.
Last trip Aug 2006: No problems other than a catastrophic free-flow forcing a CESA from 6m during a initial weightbelt check (good thing it happened on that dive and not in the Devil's Throat the next day!:shocked2:) And no civil or crime problems either during all the times visited since 1997. Was thinking of diving this year with German Yanez at Yucatech Expeditions for additional Cave Training both at Cozumel (Aerolito) and the mainland Yucatan; and perhaps a day or two on the reefs with a fun and highly recommended Dive Ops called Blue XTC:wink:.

Just keeping the thread even, real, & practical with a contrarian view to what IMO are mostly "Rose Colored" Views/Posts of Quintana Roo/Yucatan and the Mexico Experience? even though couched with regard to the civility of Cozumel.

In summary the original post title read, "Has anybody having second thoughts?" --and my answer is yes, and I've justified for myself with media & US State Dept reports on the increasing violence --which others may choose to discount based on their own benign experiences and anecdotes and silly non-sequiturs regarding the problems of Crime, Law & Order in the United States. . .

Last trip Aug 2006: No problems other than a catastrophic free-flow forcing a CESA from 6m during a initial weightbelt check (good thing it happened on that dive and not in the Devil's Throat the next day!:shocked2:) And no civil or crime problems either during all the times visited since 1997. Was thinking of diving this year with German Yanez at Yucatech Expeditions for additional Cave Training both at Cozumel (Aerolito) and the mainland Yucatan; and perhaps a day or two on the reefs with a fun and highly recommended Dive Ops called Blue XTC:wink:.

Just keeping the thread even, real, & practical with a contrarian view to what IMO are mostly "Rose Colored" Views/Posts of Quintana Roo/Yucatan and the Mexico Experience? even though couched with regard to the civility of Cozumel.

In summary the original post title read, "Has anybody having second thoughts?" --and my answer is yes, and I've justified for myself with media & US State Dept reports on the increasing violence --which others may choose to discount based on their own benign experiences and anecdotes and silly non-sequiturs regarding the problems of Crime, Law & Order in the United States. . .

Thanks Kevin for the reply and for taking my curiosity in the spirit that it was intended :) If you do decide to venture down here...we'll be happy to accommodate you :) And I'm sure you already know that German is a fantastic cave instructor/diver.

Now that's some good condescension!!!!! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

--which others may choose to discount based on their own benign experiences and anecdotes and silly non-sequiturs regarding the problems of Crime, Law & Order in the United States. . .

Which I do, regardless of what you demeaningly choose to call "silly non-sequiturs". When I walk down the street wherever I happen to be, it's entirely relevant to compare the subjective experience to that which I have experienced whenever I've done the same thing somewhere else, whether it be in the first, second, or third world. In (for example) New Orleans (where I've been many times as well), I am very careful, because I know for a fact that there are predators afoot in many a dark alley, and a careless tourist can find himself in a world of hurt in a big hurry by simply wandering a block off the beaten track.

Despite what you and others may say, such is not the case on Cozumel. "Safe" is not an absolute, it's a relative term, but I and my family are far safer on the streets of San Miguel at 1 AM than we would be in the French Quarter, and the effectiveness of the police force or the government has absolutely nothing to do with it.

...but I and my family are far safer on the streets of San Miguel at 1 AM than we would be in the French Quarter, and the effectiveness of the police force or the government has absolutely nothing to do with it...

Agreed!

I've done both and have to agree as well.

So would you accept then, a US or County Park Ranger glibly telling you don't camp/hike at Lake Sabrina or any other trail head in the Sierras anymore in order to prevent opportunistic vehicle break-ins and theft?

What I accept is the reality that there are precautions that need to be made when leaving a vehicle unattended in a remote area, anywhere. On subsequent trips to Sabrina I make sure nothing is visible, and I leave the glove box and center console open to remove the mystery of what might be inside.

Essentially that's what Mexican Authorities were telling these divers who were crime victims: just don't go cave diving at these cenote sites again. Is that an acceptable/ameliorable solution?:confused:

The reality is that short of posting a guard 24/7 you can not prevent theft, anywhere, and petty theft has been and will always be an issue when traveling to poor countries.

Bonarie has had theft issues forever, yet you don't see threads questioning the safety of Bonaire, you see information on avoiding the problem.

So what you can do to dive the Cenotes is that same thing divers have been doing for years in Bonaire. Nothing in the car, doors unlocked = nothing to steal.

Personally I can't wait to get back to Cozumel, I'll probably go there instead of my annual Maui trip, it really is a fantastic place where I feel safe.

I rented a Mexican Ferrari-volkswagen convertable on Coz this past week from Isis. It was the yellow one number 13. I left both tops down the entire time I was there. My lodgings where on Avenida 60 near calle 20. Across from a bar. Do you know how easy it is to hot wire one of these? I returned the car to Margarita in perfect shape. I ate to much every night and wandered the streets around there usually at around midnight. Didnt hit the hospital once. There are drugs and gangs there, my friends showed me the crews. For some reason it's hard to spot them, kinda like drum fish. Here in Edmonton, you easily can spot them so you can cross the street. Just my anecdotal experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom