Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also think this paragraph is dead on!

"While we bear responsibility for our problems, the caricature of Mexico being propagated in the United States only increases the despair on both sides of the Rio Grande. It is also profoundly hypocritical. America is the worldÃÔ largest market for illegal narcotics. The United States is the source for the majority of the guns used in MexicoÃÔ drug cartel war, according to law enforcement officials on both sides of the border."
Yup

Has to be a market for the products (drugs, in this case) and the USA is the larget market in the world.

You know, I HATE drugs and think that they are at the root of many if not most of the problems in our society today - look at any inmate, and almost every time there is a drug connection.

All that said, what we are currently doing is not working, and its costing us a ton of money.

Yup

Has to be a market for the products (drugs, in this case) and the USA is the larget market in the world.

You know, I HATE drugs and think that they are at the root of many if not most of the problems in our society today - look at any inmate, and almost every time there is a drug connection.

All that said, what we are currently doing is not working, and its costing us a ton of money.

Fair enough. I hate tobacco, and if you look at any inmate, nearly every time there is a tobacco connection. Heck, in prisons, tobacco is currency.

But I agree that what we are doing is not working. Yes, the situation as it stands today is hideously expensive, and we are financing both sides of the conflict. The only people for whom the status quo is a good thing are arms manufacturers and politicians. Come to think of it, all that is true for some other situations I can think of as well...

What blows my mind is how the US can have the nerve to call Mexico a 'failed state"
Here we go again tell the world how to fix their problems while turning a blind eye to the one on the US side of the boarder.
If the US is going to warn its citizens about travel to mexico they should compare the danger to cities in the US just to be fair.
Just my feeling on the matter

Fair enough. I hate tobacco, and if you look at any inmate, nearly every time there is a tobacco connection. Heck, in prisons, tobacco is currency.

But I agree that what we are doing is not working. Yes, the situation as it stands today is hideously expensive, and we are financing both sides of the conflict. The only people for whom the status quo is a good thing are arms manufacturers and politicians. Come to think of it, all that is true for some other situations I can think of as well...
Sure, agreed, but we are talking crimes here -

With the exception of cig. smuggling, people don't go to prison for tobacco use - while severely curtailed in many places, its still a legal activity.

And while I would never smoke a cigarette, I promise to stay waaaay down wind of you when I enjoy my cigar!

I, too live in TX. I grew up in El Paso. Like anywhere --- if you are interested in the drug scene you can readliy find it anywhere! El Paso, being a border city w/ Juarez is having major issues right now --- I'd be more afraid of living there (don't live there anymore) right now than traveling to Coz. There are drugs on Coz, too.......If you are looking for great diving -- Coz is wonderful, if you are looking for drugs --- be prepared to pay the price. I've scene the authorities in action w/ someone shoplifting at Chedraui.........not like in the US --- can't cry "my rights"....they strip search you and they don't do it in private! haha. Stay honest, visit the island have a grand time or NOT. As for me --- I'm headed there in May. Happy diving!

Sure, agreed, but we are talking crimes here -

With the exception of cig. smuggling, people don't go to prison for tobacco use - while severely curtailed in many places, its still a legal activity.
And that speaks precisely to my point.

Gordon, I kinda get the feeling we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one......

Making something else (in this case tobacco) illegal creates all sorts of issues and problems - I'm for less regulation and for making fewer things illegal.

Gordon, I kinda get the feeling we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one......

Making something else (in this case tobacco) illegal creates all sorts of issues and problems - I'm for less regulation and for making fewer things illegal.

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I am in no way promoting the making of tobacco illegal.

"If the water and food [and now public health] in a country are suspect, take similar precautions with the law. . ."

RulesofThumb.org - Homepage

I feel safer walking around San Miguel Jerusalem and Tel Aviv than I would in Houston at night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom