Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point of the story is that there is very significant drug problem on Cozumel which is spilling over into more violent crimes as it has been doing elsewhere in Mexico. These thugs are now doing kidnapping and torture in the name of drugs on Cozumel

Again, hard to follow the web translations, but the "victim" was someone involved in the drug scene, wasn't he? They're not just picking up random people off the street or tourists...

Worst thing that I'm thinking in the near future would be that tourists won't be going too far back into town or into more remote parts of the island, especially after dark. I'd also expect to see more police and military out in town in the evenings.

Try scrolling up a few posts to a post by cruiser where he responds to a post by jayjoans which says "The worry is drug related, and Cozumel is not a big drug haven or import/export point."

I stand by my post, where did I say there was NO drug problem in Cozumel? Or are YOU now saying that Cozumel IS "a big drug haven or import/export point"?

If you're going to quote other posters, make sure you use their words appropriately.

That is the Google translation to english I think it is good enough for people that have half a brain to understand but if you feel a bit challenged in this particular area perhaps you could find a better translation on your own........

Why are you so hostile towards everybody who makes a comment.:shakehead:

The point of the story is that there is a very significant drug problem on Cozumel which is spilling over into more violent crimes as it has been doing elsewhere in Mexico. These thugs are now doing kidnapping and torture in the name of drugs on Cozumel so how long before they start leaving heads on the side of the road as they are doing in other parts of Mexico? For those of you who think the problem on Cozumel is nothing or won't get that bad you are mistaken.

OK, I will tell you a personal story from my safe haven community in Boulder, Colorado. I will explain why at the end, for the benefit of the people who, like me, you think don't have half a brain.

A couple of yours ago my two sons, grown and living on their own, were visiting for the holidays. We were surprised when a girl they had not seen in years showed up. She was my younger son's first girl friend, and when I saw her I fondly recalled those first shy dates in their early high school years. She had heard they were in town and for some reason decided to call. She was not there too long before she got a call from her boyfriend asking her to see him. As she was leaving, I talked with her a little. She told me she had been out of touch with people for a while and was trying to get back in with her old friends again.

She was dead within a half hour. Her boyfriend, a drug dealer who was flying high on some mix of drugs, had gotten it into his head that she was going to rat on her or something. (Maybe she was. I don't know.) He tied her up, tortured her, and then blew her head off.

That's Boulder, Colorado, a town regularly making the list of the best places to live in America. It is a community I love, and where I feel perfectly safe walking the streets alone at night. It is a community whose recent newspaper archives have far more incidents of the kinds that people (like you) have found in their effort to paint Cozumel as a lawless frontier town where a tourist is likely to take hit from the daily hail of stray bullets.

Nobody is saying that it is a perfect place with no crime and where all the children are above average. We are saying that the amount of crime reported there would not be at all unusual in almost any community in America, and it is certainly no reason to stay at home. Indeed, if I were to stay at home because of fears of violence in Cozumel, I would probably be more at risk than I would be there.

That is the Google translation to english I think it is good enough for people that have half a brain to understand but if you feel a bit challenged in this particular area perhaps you could find a better translation on your own........

Could you be just a little more condescending? You didn't quite go over the top with that. ;^)

So what is it that you are trying to convince people to do? Stay at home and hide under the bed? Diving is an exercise in risk management; it's not risk free. In that respect it's just like flying, driving, crossing the street, or yes, visiting Cozumel. You get the best information you can, you calculate your risk level, and you compare it to your risk tolerance. If whatever you expect to get from the experience is worth the risk to you, you go for it.

Cozumel is still a very safe place to visit as compared to just about any city in the U.S. you could name. Of course, s#!t happens there, just like anywhere else, but it's very low level. If you want to avoid the (by far) riskiest thing you could possibly do on Cozumel, don't rent a moped.

Dive Cozumel, I'm just wondering why you have been going so far out of your way to attempt to keep people away...and exaggerating the problems. As a resident here, even you know that Por Esto is not a reliable/accurate source of newsworthy topics. While parts of the story MIGHT be factual....I take anything I read in Por Esto with a grain of salt. And no, my eyes are not closed and no I'm not simply trying to save business...but in the grand scheme of things...Cozumel is still a very safe place for residents and vistors!

Why are you so hostile towards everybody who makes a comment.:shakehead:

I post a RECENT newspaper article that is relevent to this thread and he makes a BS remark about how he can't understand the translation? Now who was being hostile first?
And no I am NOT hostile towards everyone who makes a comment.

MAN!!!! all of you need to chill out.. I happen to agree with Cristi.. Coz is as safe a place as you'll ever find in the Caribbean. Sure there is some lawlessness, what city doesn't have crime.
The nice thing about Cozumel is that being an island they have a better chance of restricting the activity. If anyone feels that'it is unsafe to go there, I would strongly advise, that you not go there. The rest of us will continue to go there, and enjoy the wonderful experience that Cozumel is. That being said, you have to use your head, and you ARE taking some chance, anytime you travel to another country. As for showing the pics of drugs found recently.. guess what? They find that much everyday in Oakland and Richmond CA. Neither of those place do I feel safe.
I suggest that we all agree to disagree, and call this thread a day.. Moderaters???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom