Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in a small town just 30 minutes away from Yosemite. Yesterday some guys (one was a 56 year old white male) decided it would be fun to get drunk and start shooting at people, cars, and houses from the apartment stoop. They even fired shots at the police officers. Luckily no one was shot and the only injury was to a police officer who was responding and hit a UPS truck.

At least Cozumel is warm and sunny....

Just 11 days, and I'll be in that dark, evil, crime infested place .... Cozumel!!! :wink: No place I'd rather be right now!! :D

Just got back form Coz and everyone back here was talking like: oh, glad you made it back safely and man i never would have gone to Mexico with all the problems they have, etc, etc.

My comments went something like, "what the heck are you talking about and what problems in Coz?" We didn't know what they were talking about or that the media was hammering it so hard over here. Slow news week i guess.

I feel safer in Coz than i do in many places over here. I'm much more wary when going to a Tigers game in Detroit. Now there's something to truly be wary about. Wrong turns are easy to make there.

I ate dinner at the old Mission the other night with a couple of people I met on my dives that day. Talk turned to the death of the security guard that was detailed a couple of pages ago. They had both heard about it, although with some interesting adjustments on the facts.

Both had heard that the victim was beheaded.

One had heard that the victim was the Chief of Police.

The other had heard that the victim was the governor of Quintana Roo.

(That poor governor is getting murdered weekly!)

The truth is never as interesting as it can be if we just add a little twist to the retelling. Before long we can turn an interesting local crime into the murder of the century.

The way I see it, there have been a few "Thousand" people murdered in Mexico during this war between the cartels and the police. Most have either been police, or corrupt individules that are members of the cartels or connected to them. There are millions uppon millions of people in Mexico. What are the odds that a tourist who's in no way connected to this stuff in a non border town will be killed?

I'd say we're all a lot more likely to be struck by lightning that that.

I just can't understand why so many people are worried :confused:

I know I'll be buying my next vacation package for Cozumel in the next few weeks. :wink:

Disturbing little factoid I heard the other day. The competing drug cartels, Sinaloa and the Zetas, are estimated to have 100k members. The Mexican army has 130k. Same song but different singers as Columbia 15 years ago. In the long run, bet on the army. In the short run, bet on the Zetas to be the first to target tourists to pressure the government.

Got a trip planned for August, and I am not concerned. The only ways I like to see Laredo are from 30k feet or in the rear view mirror.

If they start targeting tourists to pressure the government, they'll be guaranteed a short life. The Mexican government will declare all out war on them and despite America having the obamanation in the White House, you can bet there will be a lot more US. assitance given to rid Mexico of them. There's no way America lets it's neighbor and largest trading partner collapse no matter who's in the Whitehouse.

Unfortunately the media is not going to include the good side of things. ie: Cozumel being a safe tourist destination. The good news does not sell as well. If the media can't blow the story out of proportion and cause a frenzy they are not happy.
They will treat positive news like a classified add...back page/small print between appliances for sale and help wanted ads, but the bad stuff is front page! Although, in all fairness, the situations in our border towns are serious and does warrant reporting. However, the media is working it for all that it is worth.

As far as being safe in Cozumel I can say without a doubt that I feel safer walking around there,alone, even at night than I do in my own neighborhood sometimes. I have had the opportunity to travel to many cities, large and small in the US that have me more concerned for safety than San Miguel. In fact, the scariest incident I experienced was being lost @ 3 AM in downtown Baltimore...all I wanted to do was get out and find my way to the airport...My gosh I had never been so scared.

Maybe we need to contact our media resources and suggest they do some positive reporting. It most likely won't work, but, it's worth a try.

My plans for Coz will change when the Hezbollah occupy the island. until then.......Im makin plans!!!

I am surprised the media hasn't yet linked the cartels to Al Qaida, every other rogue group in the world has a tie to them according to CNN and Foxnews.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom