Is anyone second guessing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mother called me the other day in a panic; she had just seen on Geraldo Rivera that they had declared martial law in Mexico and she wanted to make sure that I would be safe while I am in Cozumel next week. I told her to consider the source and stop watching the news all day long. If you listen to the media, death and destruction are lurking behind every corner and the economy is going colapse any day. I can't wait to get away from all of this gloom and doom for at least one week.

If they start targeting tourists to pressure the government, they'll be guaranteed a short life. The Mexican government will declare all out war on them and despite America having the obamanation in the White House, you can bet there will be a lot more US. assitance given to rid Mexico of them. There's no way America lets it's neighbor and largest trading partner collapse no matter who's in the Whitehouse.

Tourism is either the number 2 or 3 contributor to Mexico's GDP after oil. All sides know this and that is why tourists are 'safe'. Nothing to do with what America thinks, just Mexico looking out for itself.

If they start targeting tourists, it is because they know they have a short life. These folks will not go down with a whimper.

no.

I'm safer there than driving to the airport to fly there. The worry is drug related, and Cozumel is not a big drug haven or import/export point.

All I'm saying is, if you're around about on the island and find a cardboard box full of cocaine, step over it and keep on walking like the locals do.

No drug problems on Cozumel..........
Tell that to this guy who was bound,gagged,beaten,threatened with death and water boarded...........

TODAYS POR ESTO..................

Violence rises in tone by the drug trafficking

Editor's COZUMEL, March 11 .- It was built by four subjects ciau Nelson Alejandro Polanco, who appeared 30 minutes after the colony FOVISSSTE, seeking relief for injuries that presented later in joint operation between the Armed Forces, Police State Judicial Police and the City managed the location of the signs of having committed the crime and arrested inside the house, proving Meller Puc Hiller, the person connected with organized crime was shot in recent days by a taxi driver in the which is now a fugitive. A string of information provided by the municipal and state authorities, around the 22:20 hours, the Municipal Police received a call on central radio, which reported that on 45th Street North between 6 and 8 Norte of the colony April 10, a person had been lifted by four individuals who came on board as a vehùÄulo.Por immediately mobilized the police together with members of the armed forces and came to the venue of the report, there are Sara met with Mrs. del Rosario Le? Arana, which said his son Nelson ciau Alejandro Polanco, was built with luxury and violence that took him away in a vehicle due desconocido.Cabe recall that was related to Nelson ciau If the death of the young student "Mayra" which curiously the authorities could never find the real person responsible for this crime, then ciau Polanco was arrested and sent to prison for committing crimes against public health, which recently came problema.Una time of the operation that was implemented among all the authorities to the location of the vehicle and the alleged perpetrators and lifted around 23:30 pm, they informed the Public Security in the street 35 between 65 and 70 of the FOVISSSTE colony, was a person asking for help in a park, on arrival found a person who called said ciau Nelson Polanco and had levantado.Dicha person was in crisis and the severe injuries all body, which sought the support of the paramedics who gave him first aid, then provided the names of people who had lifted the door of his home, so Meller said that one was the person who observed directly, also said the place where he had been deprived of his libertad.Motivo for which all units were moved to the police house located only yards from where he found the subject, who in turn talked about everything that happened since rioja boarded a van at gunpoint, after gagging him with cinnamon tape from the feet, hands and eyes, and put him down as a house of the colony FOVISSSTE where he was beaten and told to answer all the questions because if do not kill, and although he told them that it was not selling drugs and working for a pizzeria, it still pounding, I poured water on his face, among other things, but then left him alone for a while and managed to escape the tape in their hands, so until she escaped and came to a park where people were asked ayuda.Al arrive and the agents of the State Judicial Police, the Municipal Police and the Army to his home, he was given notice to the Federal Public Ministry (MPF) and the Public Ministry of the ordinary (MPFC), so that through them the assurance was given shelter, once besieged the place bailiffs and other officials were interned at home and found 195 bags of the drug called crack cocaine ready for sale, as well as a bag of marijuana with approximately 65 grams of material, 80 psychotropic pills called "Love", and the amount of 78 mil 726.30 pesos in cash, which were available to the MPFC and subsequently made available later MPF.Minutos Municipal Police continued searching for the suspects and about the 00 hours to 15 minutes in crossing the street with Borge MartùÏ Morelos, located a vehicle Atos of the type described for the levant?, which was intercepted and made a revision to the vehicle, they found a mask which was used to commit the crime, so they were immediately sent to the Public Security Directorate and responded to the names of Puc Meller Hiller 27 years old, and Manuel Ramirez Hiller (a) "The Baby" in 17 years arrived in the affected edad.Ah ciau Alejandro Polanco who fully identified as those who had deprived of their liberty, so they were released to the Public Ministry of the ordinary, for the crime of unlawful deprivation of libertad.Cabe Puc Hiller noted that Meller was the person who was shot earlier in the colony by Emiliano Zapata a nickname of "Free," which has so far not been captured since it upheld by any offense charged.

Drug and Drug violence is everywhere....no doubt. Also, obviously there was a drug related incident as reported, however, again, I can't help to believe that the media may or may not have all of the facts straight. Just as any reports that are made in the US..at first there is this BIG story...then, in time...more facts and truth comes out...and once that happens, the story is often dropped because there is no news or news that is not really going to sell. Regardless, drug and drug issues and related acts of violence are serious, and wherever you go, you need to be aware and be alert.

And FYI to those of you who think this is some NEW development.

In the late 80's, over 20 years ago...I was a Sophomore at the University of Texas. Some of you may remember this big news story....it was even on Dateline and 48 Hours. A friend of mine, in our Spring Break Travel group was abducted and savagely murdered our last night of Spring break in South Padre Island. We had gone across the border to Matamoros as all kids on Spring break in South Padre do. He disappeared...he was abducted. It wasn't until months later that we learned the truth...that he was the victim of a satanic sacrificial killing that was believed to be drug cartel related.

The point to my story is that these things have been going on for YEARS so I don't understand the sudden dramatization! Although this tragedy did happen in a Mexican border town, they happen EVERYWHERE! Has anyone watched the Los Angeles news lately...or Chicago, Dallas,Houston, St. Louis, etc.

I'll add that even though I was a secondary victim to this brutal crime...I still moved my entire life to Mexico. Cozumel IS NOT a Mexican border town nor is it Cancun or Mexico City or Tabasco.

Based on some's logic here, I shouldn't travel anywhere in the US since murders happen....it's all in the same country right?

Off my soapbox :)

OMG Christi, you were part of that spring break bunch?

I remember the news reports clearly, and it still haunts me to this day what they did to him in the way of torture--the newscasters didn't spare much.

The translations are always a bit hard to read, but am I correct that they found all those drugs and the large sum of cash in the home of the guy who was beaten? Are we supposed to feel bad for him?

And you don't think sort of stuff and worse happens in just about every US city on any given day? The number of incidents for the size of Cozumel makes far from a place to be in fear of walking down the street.

All the posters on this and other boards in recent weeks who won't be going back to the Yucatan or Cozumel because they are in such fear for their personal safety there must be living in very, very small towns or many miles away from anyone. :shakehead:

As I said before, if or when we start hearing about random tourists getting kidnapped, shot or beaten, and if or when Cozumel hotels start putting up huge concrete walls and posting armed guards around their perimeter to protect their guests, then I would rethink going there.

No drug problems on Cozumel..........
Tell that to this guy who was bound,gagged,beaten,threatened with death and water boarded...........

TODAYS POR ESTO..................

Violence rises in tone by the drug trafficking

Editor's COZUMEL, March 11 .- It was built by four subjects ciau Nelson Alejandro Polanco, who appeared 30 minutes after the colony FOVISSSTE, seeking relief for injuries that presented later in joint operation between the Armed Forces, Police State Judicial Police and the City managed the location of the signs of having committed the crime and arrested inside the house, proving Meller Puc Hiller, ...

First of all, is ther an English translation of this story available?

Next, I have not seen a post that said there were no drug problems in Cozumel. I have seen a number of posts that have said that it is not the kind of out-of-control violence some people are warning about, where tourists are likely to get caught up in the cross fire of a gang war.

I imagine it would be hard to find a city almost anywhere in the world that did not have some level of a drug problem. I was not able to understand much of what was in this story, but if you add all the confirmed Cozumel stuff together, you have a profile of a community with far fewer drug problems than we have where I live now.

....at least the bad guys used cinammon tape when they gagged him, that was thoughtful. You won't find that kind of attention to detail in Nogales or Tijuana. Just goes to show you that even the bad guys on Cozumel are just a little bit nicer. Doesn't surprise me one bit, the locals there have been the nicest I've ever met in my Mexico travels.

First of all, is ther an English translation of this story available?
That is the Google translation to english I think it is good enough for people that have half a brain to understand but if you feel a bit challenged in this particular area perhaps you could find a better translation on your own........

Next, I have not seen a post that said there were no drug problems in Cozumel.
Try scrolling up a few posts to a post by cruiser where he responds to a post by jayjoans which says "The worry is drug related, and Cozumel is not a big drug haven or import/export point."

I imagine it would be hard to find a city almost anywhere in the world that did not have some level of a drug problem. I was not able to understand much of what was in this story, but if you add all the confirmed Cozumel stuff together, you have a profile of a community with far fewer drug problems than we have where I live now.
The point of the story is that there is a very significant drug problem on Cozumel which is spilling over into more violent crimes as it has been doing elsewhere in Mexico. These thugs are now doing kidnapping and torture in the name of drugs on Cozumel so how long before they start leaving heads on the side of the road as they are doing in other parts of Mexico? For those of you who think the problem on Cozumel is nothing or won't get that bad you are mistaken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom