Is An Environmentally Sealed First Stage Important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how expensive are the tools?
I know it's on the required list, but the inline adjustment tool is a joke, you don't need it, it just saves time. Granted it does replace the need of the IP gauge since they usually have them, but I don't think they're necessary. You should have allen keys, o-ring picks, adjustable wrenches, and an IP gauge if you're a series diver. The torque wrench is obviously nice, but you can get one for $50 with the allen key bits, but I don't believe that is required for purchase, and from what I have heard you can borrow them. The holding tool is nice, but only $20, so not that expensive. Certainly don't need to buy from scubatools, you'll go broke doing that. Check Dive Gear Express, and Piranha, they have everything you need for quite cheap.

how expensive are the tools?
I know it's on the required list, but the inline adjustment tool is a joke, you don't need it, it just saves time. Granted it does replace the need of the IP gauge since they usually have them, but I don't think they're necessary. You should have allen keys, o-ring picks, adjustable wrenches, and an IP gauge if you're a series diver. The torque wrench is obviously nice, but you can get one for $50 with the allen key bits, but I don't believe that is required for purchase, and from what I have heard you can borrow them. The holding tool is nice, but only $20, so not that expensive. Certainly don't need to buy from scubatools, you'll go broke doing that. Check Dive Gear Express, and Piranha, they have everything you need for quite cheap.

I have the list. I figure roughly $500 minimum. And although I won't buy it all from Scubatools, they do have a few nice items, and I do want the "good" torque wrench.

As a fellow Great Lake's diver, I have to agree that sealed is good! I've had more than a few freeze-ups in my Yoot, and I prefer to avoid them if possible.

One thing to consider is that a freeze-up is typically caused by a number of things... temperature of course, but also the amount of gas moving through the regulator. As we all know, expanding gas creates cold. More gas means more cold. So that being the case, then your bottom gas regs really should be sealed. The stage/deco tanks are perhaps less critical, mostly because they are going to be used in shallower water. They are also going to be hanging in a position that will allow an easy valve shutdown and feathering if necessary. Much easier than on tanks on your back.

Regarding DIN conversion, we all know of the safety advantage. Apart from that, they also have a somewhat lower profile and fewer "sticky-outy-thingies", so a reduced likelihood of entanglement on stuff... like lines to the SMB you might be shooting during your hangs.

There are lots of ways to trim dive gear budgets. Cheaping out on your regs probably isn't the best way! ;-)

I have the list. I figure roughly $500 minimum. And although I won't buy it all from Scubatools, they do have a few nice items, and I do want the "good" torque wrench.

why? you're torquing to "snug".... I see no reason to spend that much on a torque wrench that isn't necessary.... Total tools should be less than $150

why? you're torquing to "snug".... I see no reason to spend that much on a torque wrench that isn't necessary.... Total tools should be less than $150

Unless you have a plastic second stage, then a good torque wrench is a must to avoid over tightening and possibly irreparably damaging the plastic piece in question.

I know, Real Men Don't Dive Polymer, I was only speaking hypothetically.

eh, just past finger tight is not hard to learn by feel, but too many people are afraid of under-tightening everything so they wrench it down to your point.

Dunno, guys. All I know is that if I am going to take the course and learn how to do things properly, I am supposed to use a torque wrench. Maybe I could borrow one for the course, but it's a good tool to have. As I suspect you would agree, the point of the course is to teach people to do a professional job that meets HOG's specs/standards. Maybe once one has serviced a bunch of regs they get a feel for what "snug" is.

...//... Maybe once one has serviced a bunch of regs they get a feel for what "snug" is.
Stay true to your instincts. My reg tech is teaching me exactly that. There is a shortcut to "educated hands", it is a string of damaged regs.

He doesn't use a torque wrench. (anymore) Sounds to me like you are aspiring to be a reg tech, not a reg monkey.

One "does it right" per the instructor's requirements at that time (same as in all aspects of life), then, after being "turned loose", decides for himself what degree of precision he needs to do for himself........

Back
Top Bottom