Is An Environmentally Sealed First Stage Important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a diaphragm type reg there are no extra maintenance costs unless you have to replace the environmental diaphragm, not to often unles it gets damaged and if it does the reg will still function fine it will just be a little more freeze prone.

Finding DIN conversions for the Conshelfs may be difficult. They just don't show up very often. By the time you get DIN conversions and the environmental seals for the Conshelfs you could probably pick up a used Apeks or Zeagle in DIN for less money.

You could start replacing your tank valves with the PRO convertible valves so they can be used with Yoke or DIN regs

I kind of remember the seal kit for D1 1st cost $20. It is a one time deal, not like piston reg sealing. For the cost, I would just do it for the peace of mind.

For double set, I will also say do the DIN conversion. For conshelf, I would just have it service, keep it in yoke for vacation use.

I kind of remember the seal kit for D1 1st cost $20. It is a one time deal, not like piston reg sealing. For the cost, I would just do it for the peace of mind.

+1, I'd add the environmental seal to your other D1 and use the D1's for doubles while keeping the unsealed Conshelfs for singles, etc

Ya, I poked the bear, I guess. I like DIN. I wish all my gear were DIN. Maybe I should start a gofundme and everyone who thinks I should switch over my 3 yoke 1st stages and 4 yoke cylinder valves on principle can put in $20.

Would love to fund you, but I funded myself instead to convert 4 regs to DIN. Now I only buy DIN.

Anyone else want to poke the bear, seems it aint angry yet, no paw swiping, neck biting??? What is the world coming too?

I wish all my gear were DIN. Maybe I should start a gofundme and everyone who thinks I should switch over my 3 yoke 1st stages and 4 yoke cylinder valves on principle can put in $20.
Better yet, buy the valves and kits on credit. Then refuse to pay the credit card bill as a matter of principle. Ask for donations for your legal defense, when the credit card company makes an issue out of your refusal to pay. That way, people will have a greater sense of urgency to donate - it won't be simply a matter of meeting a goal, it will be a moral imperative, to keep your credit rating in good standing - and YOU will have what you want. :)

Brilliant, Colliam. I suppose I could also refuse to pay the credit card bill as a matter of principal. Interesting.

Can a D1 be retrofitted to add the environmental seal? I have an older D1 that lacks the seal, and I would like it to match my other D1s, which have the seal.

I have a number of first stages that lack environmental seals and I'm trying to decide whether I need to install seal kits to make them safe for the diving I'm doing. ...//...
That is truly "personal preference".

No, you probably don't need it. Maybe I don't either, but it is one of my fundamental concepts in avoiding "normalization of deviance". Think: I got away with it for years and years, it must be OK...

The more I dive alone in silty inlets and back bays, the more I come to understand the risks and the more carefully I dive.

Your choice, no fault no foul.

When I first was diving in this area nearly 25 years ago, I routinely dove unsealed pistons (ScubaPro MK-10) below the thermocline, frequently seeing temps in the middle thirties. Neither I nor my buddies used silicone packed ambient chambers. As Lowviz said, "I got away with it". Now that I'm a little "longer in the tooth", and have others relying on me (family), my gear choices significantly changed as my diving locations wasn't going to. Risk reduction and mitigation plays an important role.

Just my $0.02, and YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom