Is An Environmentally Sealed First Stage Important?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can a D1 be retrofitted to add the environmental seal? I have an older D1 that lacks the seal, and I would like it to match my other D1s, which have the seal.

Before this gets lost in further posts, does anyone know the answer to my question? A dive shop told me that no such retrofit kit exists. An unsealed D1 must remain an unsealed D1. Are they correct?

A quick internet search shows that they are available.

A quick internet search shows that they are available.

I had tried that and wasn't able to find it using the keyword combos I tried. I am as incompetent with a search engine as my dive shop, Diver's Supply, seems to be with their knowledge of HOG products. But here it is:

HOG D1 Environmental Seal Kit - Parts - Products

re: sealing a D1

I'd also check with Lapenta at UDM Aquatics. If you call/message him, he usually gets you answers pretty quickly.

re: sealing a D1

I'd also check with Lapenta at UDM Aquatics. If you call/message him, he usually gets you answers pretty quickly.

You bet. I have bought regs (not the one in question) from Jim.

you need a new shop, Jack can get you the parts if you need them, so can any dealer. Just have to ask. Call Jim, he probably has them in stock, but if you're in Atlanta, Hog is based at the Divers Supply right down the road from you...

For diving in contaminated (e.g. silty) and cold environments, I highly recommend sealing the first stage. Liquid silicone kits, "dry" kits, even vodka in the little plastic shot for your Poseidon all seem to do the intended job of keeping water and crud out of the spot where its freezing/clogging could start a first stage free flow. Cheap insurance is how I see it. And while not all of my regs are environmentally sealed, all of the ones I dive in cold or polluted waters are.

Just ask around your LDS (assuming you are in an area where cold water diving is the norm) and I'm sure you'll hear of numerous "events" where a regulator set up for the tropical warmth of the Caribbean was drafted into service in some dark and cold quarry, and began to free-flow, causing alarm (or worse) for the diver using it.

Death will eventually seek us all out, no reason to improve the odds of an early call by risky diving.

you need a new shop, Jack can get you the parts if you need them, so can any dealer. Just have to ask. Call Jim, he probably has them in stock, but if you're in Atlanta, Hog is based at the Divers Supply right down the road from you...

Would you believe that it was some ditz employee at Divers Supply (Atlanta store, not Macon) who told me, when I brought my reg in for service, that there is no such thing as an environment seal / coldwater kit? My reg had some visible corrosion, and my thinking is that the seal might inhibit that in the future. This is why I am going to learn to service them myself (cost of acquiring the tools is the present impediment). I mean, if Divers Supply employees aren't educated about HOG/EDGE products, who is?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom