Is a deep 6 signature series 1st&2nd stage capable of diving at 150ft+/45M+ in 30F/-1C with comfort in breathing/ease of inhalation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd put money against the 26 being from a personal computer that was poorly calibrated.

28.4 for typical seawater. We had about 29 in Antarctica.
27.3 is the coldest seawater ever recorded. Now normally I would not cite freaking GBWR, but in this case some geek would fall over themselves to be the one to record that record, and with climate change, there is LOTS of people following ocean temps

I should have said earlier in the season as it was June when I experienced the 30 F at the torpedo and the 26 was recorded in the engine room by another diver in my group.
It was 34 at the Rose Castle torpedo for me in July 2022. I'm guessing the 26F is an error.
This was 2 days after a woman died from a free flow/failed air share incident.

Yea you’re right. I’m a new diver and in the process of getting my OW in August. But also just researching now on regs I can have and grow into when the time naturally comes for it.
As @cerich pointed out. There is a more to diving sub 40F than just picking a regulator. And it gets exponentially more serious at 35F and below.

Yea you’re right. I’m a new diver and in the process of getting my OW in August. But also just researching now on regs I can have and grow into when the time naturally comes for it.
beginning with the end in mind is always a good thing when it comes to scuba purchases but there are only a handful of people truly qualified to dive to 150f in 30F water, probably an order of magnitude more to dive in 37f, but we are still talking about a couple of hundred divers worldwide that are truly qualified to do that safely. This is not to discourage you from doing it, it's just that those are considered very extreme conditions and even 150ft/37f is considered an extreme condition.

The Deep6 regulators are top of the line in terms of design and build quality and also offer the lowest total cost of ownership on the market if you take their repair course, I've bought several sets of them and they've certainly seen some things over the last 6-7 years and I would not hesitate to take them on any dive that I am personally willing to go on, which certainly includes 150ft/37f diving, albeit I better have my heated vest for deco....

After all the discussion I’m thinking on just going with the Aqualung Legend series which includes a legend supreme octopus as it would only be 200 bucks more. Since you have to buy all the hoses for the deep 6 and even after selecting the excursion priced at $100 as an octopus. I saw that $200 bucks is probably not something to fight over. Loosing the turret system and breathing control aren’t really significant for me now. But I will definitely come back to most likely pick up the deep 6 as my double in the future.

You're asking questions about unrealistic scenarios and then not listening to the answers given to you by some very experienced divers. I see now that you've already started another thread with questions about the Legends. Take a breath, and don't buy anything else beyond what will be required for your class, at least until you are actually certified and have done some dives.

After all the discussion I decided to just go with the Aqualung Legend series which includes a legend supreme octopus as it would only be 200 bucks more. Since you have to buy all the hoses for the deep 6 and even after selecting the excursion priced at $100 as an octopus. I saw that $200 bucks is probably not something to fight over. Loosing the turret system and breathing control aren’t really significant for me now. But I will definitely come back to most likely pick up the deep 6 as my double in the future.
I'll be curious to see your thinking on why you felt the Legend was worth more than the Deep6 for your single tank regulator but will choose the Deep6 set for doubles

Ha--I didn't see the other (third?!) thread about the Legend. Anyway, you'll be fine with your choice. I'm as "curious" as tbone as to your thinking, but it doesn't really matter. Don't feel like you have to justify your choice. You chose a good reg. I commend you for not agonizing TOO much about the decision of what regs to buy. As someone surely must have mentioned in all these posts in the three threads, with the exception of some sketchy no-name regs you might come across on the likes of Alibaba, ALL modern regs from the known brands perform GREAT. Some are better for the freezing water that you think you will eventually be diving, but that aside, I believe you will be happy with just about any brand. You'll now complete your OW certification and go diving, and you will have fun. That's what matters. Enjoy!

how about I say that if diving 30 degree water, I don't care what brand you buy you need to have good technique and adjust the regs. Plus, gas selection will affect breathing at that depth, regardless of temp. You are demanding answers to a question with not quite enough information. 37 is cold(ish) and a world different from 30 degree water IRL diving.
You also didn't discuss surface temp.. that plays a factor.
Now, I have done a LOT of actual cold water diving, and when worked for Mares a while back, lots of Long Island Sound diving. I would not hesitate to dive my regs (Deep 6 Signature) there to the very muddy bottom at any time of the year.
At the risk of losing a sale, if you have to ask the questions you did in the manner you did, I am honestly a bit worried that maybe the type of dive you asked about is beyond your knowledge, experience, trng etc. Not because you asked regarding a particular reg, but because your question didn't reflect knowledge of the variables for that type of diving.
It would be like demanding a race set up on a race car that does oval track for your mountain ride to a mechanic. The mechanic would not want to touch your car, for good reasons.
All these questions arise from my ultimate goal. To simply just scavenge for scallops, lobster and crabs in the NY, Long Island and NJ area. Since you have experience with the Long Island Sound. Would a set of deep 6 signature regs be the right choice in enabling me to grab some local lobster. I go off of extremes and just think they may not be found unless I’m really deep or cold areas. I could be wrong here and will post location assistance of these types of animals in another thread.

The Deep6 regs are on par with the upper tier of the regulators on the market today. The difference? There is no holding company or massive marketing scheme. Those things cost money. Mostly more than what the product is worth.

I hold my Deep6 regs on as high a level as any of my others, and I also have Poseidon XStreams...

Yes, I am a SP junkie too for their regs but the only new ones I ever bought were a G250v and a C370 and a MK2 Just about everything I own (and my god there are many) was obtained off the used market at pennies on the dollar.

My regs (including ones my wife and daughter dive) are used in the cold and deep waters of the Great Lakes, and have suited me well for 35 years.

If I trust Deep6 for my daughter to dive, I think that shows a strong belief....

Back
Top Bottom