International Standardisation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Something that came up again this weekend - and I guess mainly aimed at American manufacturers - I wounder what your observations are on the different units of measurement are round the world?

Example: the "A" clamp seems to be pretty universal and growing in popularity is the DIN fitting. Also first stages seem to have the same size holes (unless I am wrong) but those manufactured in the US need an imperial wrench and the rest of the world a metric wrench - why?!

Even us Brits have finally gone metric - the home of imperial!!

It is especially frustrating when we are faced with importing from both Europe and the US, like we are here in Japan, as we have to carry around two sets of tools or accessories (I need to source some imperial wing nuts!!). Also means that any of you US divers travelling should include a set of tools in your packing as there are destinations out there that will not have imperial size tools. I also have a suspicion this also extends to some things like O rings.

Phew - glad to get that off my chest and now down off my :box:

What about gauges in feet and PSI versus metres and bar! I dive with metric instruments, and depending on whom I'm diving with, my buddies have imperial instruments. Luckily it's not too hard to convert, but it's still an inconsistenty.

Hmmm, DIR seems to be imperial - guess I'm a stroke! :jester:

Even better... I dive with metric gauges, and we end the dive at 50bar. Imperial divers, AFAIK, call it quits at 500psi.

50bar = 725psi
500psi = 34.5bar

Zept

Bar / PSI good point. Also how do you signal PSI underwater - I guess half tank is the same as 100 bar but what about the rest.....

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom