Starting in tec.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_john

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just getting started in tec. I'm literally doing my e-learning now for TDI deco procedures. I'm seeing more of a focus on twins though I prefer sidemount. Is it worth the time to go through the twins procedures even though I don't think I'll use them? My goal is wreck penetration and sidemount seems to suite those needs better.

I'm also curious if there's a consensus on the imperial vs. Metric debate. I'm thinking with tec that I may have to go full metric and only do the conversions when communicating with others when necessary but otherwise doing all of the planning and math in metric and not mixing units (ask NASA about that).

It looks like the obvious path is adv. Nitro and deco followed by trimix then ccr. I don't see a use case for adv. trimix. Am I missing something?

Lastly what is the recommended experience level between deco and trimix? I know every instructor will have a standard that they are going to want. I'm just trying to level set something in the way of expectations. I know this training is a marathon and not a sprint and it's not a weekend. The experiences seem all over the place and it makes long term planning difficult.

I'm just getting started in tec. I'm literally doing my e-learning now for TDI deco procedures. I'm seeing more of a focus on twins though I prefer sidemount. Is it worth the time to go through the twins procedures even though I don't think I'll use them? My goal is wreck penetration and sidemount seems to suite those needs better.

Doors are taller than they’re wider. Doubles fit better than side mount and it’s easier on the boat.
I'm also curious if there's a consensus on the imperial vs. Metric debate. I'm thinking with tec that I may have to go full metric and only do the conversions when communicating with others when necessary but otherwise doing all of the planning and math in metric and not mixing units (ask NASA about that).

What do the people you dive with use?

It looks like the obvious path is adv. Nitro and deco followed by trimix then ccr. I don't see a use case for adv. trimix. Am I missing something?

Lastly what is the recommended experience level between deco and trimix? I know every instructor will have a standard that they are going to want. I'm just trying to level set something in the way of expectations. I know this training is a marathon and not a sprint and it's not a weekend. The experiences seem all over the place and it makes long term planning difficult.
Should probably have some helium in the mix below 100ft

So many questions. . .

Let me see if I can answer them:

1. Twins - yes
2. Metric - better
3. Advanced trimix - yes, you are missing something.
4. Experience between deco and trimix. More than you have now. Ask again in a year.

All of the above are good questions, but imo, you aren't sufficiently experienced to understand the answers. The above was not an attempt to bust your balls, but rather a suggestion that you keep asking these questions as you progress in your training.

Reactions: oya
Q1) Is it worth the time to go through the twins procedures even though I don't think I'll use them?"
In my personal opinion, diving from boat leans towards twins and diving from shore leans towards sidemount. Can also consider my answer to Q3.

Q2) "I'm also curious if there's a consensus on the imperial vs. Metric debate?"
Depends where you dive, but sticking to metric makes a lot of sense unless dive buddies stuck on imperial.. (And I especially like MOD stickers in metric because if there were ever any confusion it results in less depth as opposed to more depth...)

Q3) "obvious path is adv. Nitro and deco followed by trimix then ccr. I don't see a use case for adv. trimix. Am I missing something?"
If you are confident you want to and have the budget (and attention to detail/maintenance required) to progress all the way to diving CCR I would personally recommend packaging Advanced Nitrox and Air-Diluent CCR together as next step. Then spend a bunch of time diving less than 30m/100ft, then progress through CCR training with deco/trimix dil/etc/etc at your own pace... Some open circuit skills transfer to CCR (like comfort in the water) but many (like buoyancy) don't..

Q4) "Lastly what is the recommended experience level between deco and trimix?"
This answer probably has the widest range of valid answers and more individual variability so just my two cents:
Deeper/longer dives have the same core need in addition to the additional planning and technical skills of the given course: if/when things go wrong you absolutely have be able to stay calm and solve any problem on the dive with the skills to solve the problem under stress (and sufficient gases suitable to breathe for any additional time to solve the problem plus all the way up to the surface while meeting all deco obligations on the way up and breathing faster due to stress of an issue...).

What instructor are you using?

... It looks like the obvious path is adv. Nitro and deco followed by trimix ...

Lastly what is the recommended experience level between deco and trimix? ...
IANTD used to offer a "Technical Nitrox" certification. For carrying two deco gases (so, for two gas switches). Essentially, this training prepared you for the equipment management challenges and logistics/protocols of tri-mix diving, but without the tri-mix training. You could do a lot of dives at this cert level, gaining more proficiency, before continuing on to tri-mix training. I always thought that this is a neat approach since it is a bit less expensive, and a bit more forgiving, as you gain proficiency. I don't know, though, whether IANTD still offers this cert.

IANTD's "Advanced Deep Air" certification prepared you similarly--except eventually progressing to tri-mix wasn't the real reason for the ADA cert.

rx7diver

Thanks for the answers. This is my attempt at planning for the next few years. Probably 3-5. Obviously subject to change as experience dictates.
I have a couple instructors that I'm working with.
I think my big concern with twins is that I likely won't use them enough to maintain and build good skills. I will have to make an effort for it particularly since I'm not a fan of it in the first place.
I know ccr is in my future and that whole subject could take me years just to decide which one is the best fit.

Sidemount is not the ideal solution for wrecks. Wider profile through skinny doors and many boats don’t want to deal with sidemounters
If ccr is in your future then definitely learn doubles. Most honest instructors prefer to start ccr divers in bm units. Things are getting better in the sm ccr world but at this point in time sm ccr’s come with compromises that many new ccr divers don’t have enough knowledge to understand

I have done more than a couple wreck dives and off hand I can only think of five or six that sidemount would be my preferred method. Most wreck diving involves a boat and BM is much easier for boat diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom