Interested in going Double Hose - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daebado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, as a (very) amateur photographer and videographer, I really like the idea of double hose regulators - mainly because of the fact that they exhaust behind your head, keeping bubbles out of your lenses and possibly allowing for a closer approach to fishy subjects.

The problem is, I don't really know what all is involved in making such a switch. I don't own my own tanks (I live in the Midwest where it just wouldn't make sense) so I always rent. This means I am usually using al80's since that seems to be most common amongst dive shops. Also, I dive a Hollis BP/W.

From what I've read in these forums, I know that you want your reg low - between your shoulder blades if possible. It seems that if I moved an al80 low enough to have the reg between my shoulder blades, I would never be able to get horizontal as my feet would always be pointed to the seabed! I tend to have heavy feet anyway so I can't see how this would work out.

Someone please tell me what I am missing!

plenty of information on here about how to do it. Search posts by @herman did the prototyping of the Argonaut Kraken, @Luis H who designed it, and @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose who made sure the whole project happened. Videos on Bryan's youtube channel about them, and lots of posts in the vintage diving section here as well

plenty of information on here about how to do it. Search posts by @herman did the prototyping of the Argonaut Kraken, @Luis H who designed it, and @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose who made sure the whole project happened. Videos on Bryan's youtube channel about them, and lots of posts in the vintage diving section here as well

Thanks, that gives me a better direction. I've been searching but not finding the answers I was looking for.

So, as a (very) amateur photographer and videographer, I really like the idea of double hose regulators - mainly because of the fact that they exhaust behind your head, keeping bubbles out of your lenses and possibly allowing for a closer approach to fishy subjects.

The problem is, I don't really know what all is involved in making such a switch. I don't own my own tanks (I live in the Midwest where it just wouldn't make sense) so I always rent. This means I am usually using al80's since that seems to be most common amongst dive shops. Also, I dive a Hollis BP/W.

From what I've read in these forums, I know that you want your reg low - between your shoulder blades if possible. It seems that if I moved an al80 low enough to have the reg between my shoulder blades, I would never be able to get horizontal as my feet would always be pointed to the seabed! I tend to have heavy feet anyway so I can't see how this would work out.

Someone please tell me what I am missing!

Unless you are really interested in doing your own service on a double hose, you will probably want to get a Kraken double hose from vintagedoublehose.com. Kraken orders are now on hold while he catches up on current orders.

There are a few unique things to learn about diving double hose. If you are really comfortable diving and prefer to learn on your own, you can figure things out from one of the really old diving manuals. If you think you will need some supervision, you can try to link up with a double hose diver to get a little mentoring.

You should be able to get your tank low enough on your BPW to be comfortable. If you need to move some weight, you can put some on a pocket on your cam band or shoulders.

I dive a DA Aquamaster and really enjoy it. But I also really enjoy taking old stuff apart and putting it back together to get it working again. For me, that's half the fun.

Hopefully you can find someone near you that has a double hose you can try.

Good luck

It maybe as simple as changing where you put your weights. Pockets on the upper tank band allows you to shift weights from your belt or lower body up higher. I know of folks who attach a weight to the tank neck. I don't use much weight in warm water, 6-8 lbs max. I attach weights directly to my BP, they are not ditchable but I don't dive with air in my BC so I don't consider them not being ditchable a problem. With a full 80, at worst I am 3-4 lbs negative with no air in my BC, if I can't swim that up, I have bigger issues I need to address.
Frog kicks help and you should be using them to keep your fins out of the coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom