Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said TSandM. No one disputes that by our very presence in the water we alter the environment. I have done a great deal of wilderness trekking and the same discussions occur there. I think the adage "take only pictures and leave only footprints" is solid advice that divers can also follow - although we get to avoid even leaving footprints.

Well said TSandM. No one disputes that by our very presence in the water we alter the environment. I have done a great deal of wilderness trekking and the same discussions occur there. I think the adage "take only pictures and leave only footprints" is solid advice that divers can also follow - although we get to avoid even leaving footprints.
Agree as well with all TSandM says. We do often unavoidably leave footprints when we walk in & out if shore diving. Anyone's guess what micro life we step on.

Agree as well with all TSandM says. We do often unavoidably leave footprints when we walk in & out if shore diving. Anyone's guess what micro life we step on.

Which is no different than walking on many areas on land. I do my best not to unnecessarily disturb, but I certainly don't lose sleep at this level of impact. Our very being impacts other species, land and sea.

That frogfish should have his C card revoked. Touching all those divers like that....

what's the big thrill with touching sea life? Am I missing something here? I understand getting close to observe but why touch? Curiosity?

Learning. What do you think your life would be like if the only sense you had were sight?

Learning. What do you think your life would be like if the only sense you had were sight?

Ahhhh, maybe. Only thing I think I've really learned from touching something (animals, anyway) is that now they'll move.

from paint your wagon ...... Il like this cause it says how good intentions end up.....

God made the mountains God made the sky God made the people God knows why

He fixed up the planet As best as He could Then in come the people And gum it up good

The first thing you know

They civilized the foothills And every weary put hills The mountains and valley below

They come along and take 'em And civilize and make 'em A place where no civilized Person would go

The first thing you know
The first thing you know

They civilize what's pretty By puttin' up a city Where nothin' that's Pretty can grow

They muddy up the winter And civilize it, into a place Too uncivilized Even for snow

The first thing you know

They civilize left They civilize right Till nothing is left Till nothing is right

They civilize freedom Till no one is free o one except by coincidence , me

The first thing you know

The boozer's in prison And the criminally isn't And only the rascals have gone

When I see a parson I gotta put my arson in A wagon that follows the tail of a crow

The first thing you know
I pick up a growl
The first thing you know

I wasn't referring to touch in general but just in this one particular case of touching sea life while diving. Touch, poke, prod all you like I just choose not too and I still don't understand the fascination.

Back
Top Bottom