Interacting with sea life look but don't touch!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean, not doing this?

View attachment 203422

If this is the message some aquariums are passing, it's a hard job to educate people. Especially in a world that has predominantly seen animals as being inferior and without rights.
(By the way, the photo is of what happens in the Songkhla Aquarium and there is a petition for some companies to stop sponsoring it while this behaviour continues https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petitio..._of_Green_Turtle_and_Shark_torture_in_S/?pv=2 )

But most (all?) introductory life courses mention environment preservation and respect, don't they?
CMAS has its 10 golden rules:

That is actually pretty sad. Those poor animals are undoubtedly being abused. Thanks for posting the link.

I signed the petition I hope others can do it as well. Very good of you to put this up.

Like anything a matter or respect. If you aren't taking it for food IMHO it should be up to the critter to initiate and be able to break off contact according to it's stress level.

The post about the torch reminded me of a shallow shore night dive where the fish were following me around to eat the critters that were clouding my light beam! I wound up feeling bad about upsetting the balance and turned it off :doh:

I don't know how damaging riding a big turtle or shark, dolphin, etc. can be as there are differring points of view. .

Probably PROBABLY doesn't really do a lot of damage in the short term, but it's like anything else, where is the personal dignity in doing something like that? Although I have heard that sea animals have a protective algae coating them that if touched gets removed and makes them more susceptible to disease. Personally, I don't touch anything unless I plan to eat it. I don't have any problem with allowing something to touch me (shrimp, manatee, etc.)

I remember blasting someone for riding a White Shark for a video. Thinking about it, I realize I probably do more damage to the ecosystem stumbling through the shore break. As was pointed out during that diatribe, just using a boat disrupts the immediate area. I'm sure the turtles didn't like the rides, but it beats being stewed.

I have seen dive masters poking all manner of critters to put on a show for their divers. I guess they feel as though it's their job to make sure their divers see things, but I hate it every time. I never touch things first, but have had an octopus initiate contact during a night dive (very cool moment) and a particularly pesky remora insist on hitching a ride on my chest (very uncool moment).

Probably PROBABLY doesn't really do a lot of damage in the short term, but it's like anything else, where is the personal dignity in doing something like that? Although I have heard that sea animals have a protective algae coating them that if touched gets removed and makes them more susceptible to disease. Personally, I don't touch anything unless I plan to eat it. I don't have any problem with allowing somethiuch me (shrimp, manatee, etc.)

OK. As I said, there are differing views (I'm sure we'll read the same posts again from previous threads on this thorny subject--thus the popcorn eater last page). I too have heard about protective coatings. I would guess that this may vary with each aquatic species, but of course, I don't know. Not sure what you mean by personal dignity--that of the fish/turtle or of the diver getting a ride? As Vincent54 says, exiting the water (and using a boat as well) damages something. In a previous thread where messing with hermit crabs was discussed, someone pointed out that there are zillions of them and a diver could easily harm them by stepping on them while exiting. I'm not disagreeing with your post, just throwing some stuff out there.

I remember blasting someone for riding a White Shark for a video. Thinking about it, I realize I probably do more damage to the ecosystem stumbling through the shore break. As was pointed out during that diatribe, just using a boat disrupts the immediate area. I'm sure the turtles didn't like the rides, but it beats being stewed.

I think it is quite obvious the riding of those sea turtles was an act of abuse and I would hope everyone could at least I agree on that. We know that there many things that us humans do to that disrupt natures balance, most are done inadvertently I am trying to start with the things I do that are pretty obvious and at least trying to stop this habit first.

I think we can all become better as individuals being more considerate towards our friends in the ocean. My goal was to bring this subject up to view as a constant reminder every time we dive we can have fun and also be mindful of our great ocean life. If the right message is past on over nd over it can replace what we have been accustomed to see others do. I am not to proud of how I was always poking around or grabbing or picking up other wild sea creatures. Although I see many other divers do so, it doesn't justify my decision to also act in this way.

I glad that I have had a chance to learn from some great people on this forum who are really interested in studying and protecting our oceans sea life. They deserve a lot of credit.

The message of this particular thread should never get old. It should always remain as a constant reminder every time we dive, that respecting and being considerate about our beautiful sea life is actually an integral character quality. I believe it actually it is a direct reflection of what we are all about.

Now if only the same vim and vigor were put forth toward our fellow humankind - then we would be talking about what a wonderful world we live in and we would have nothing to complain about... :D

To continue my post, I do agree that divers should not ride turtles. Aside from whatever stress is causes the animals, is it that big a thrill? I do however think we are talking about something that is miniscule compared to all the damage we have done to all aquatic life via pollution, agricultural runoff, coastal development, etc. But I'm retired with a lot of time to play on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom