Integrated depth gauge the next snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My depth gauge attached to my pressure gauge stopped working on my last dive trip. I was i initially worried, I had never dived without one. I quickly realized with my computer i didn't need it not did I miss it. I dumped my snorkel 30 years ago, is my depth gauge next? Sure redundancy is nice but is it necessary? Bill

Bill, how's your console going to feel with a gauge missing, or not working, just in there

although the computer console I've been using for past 25 years
was designed with the option of an analogue depth gauge in lieu

It's looking a bit busier these days

full.jpg

Sent a picture to Shearwater last year and got this reply.

"Ha! You know, I've wanted a console mounted Perdix for years. Well done."
Tim Inglis
Electronics Hardware Engineer
Shearwater Research Inc.
Unit 250
13155 Delf Place
Richmond, BC
V6V 2A2

I said he could use the design
It looks a bit mental more like a brick
when I tie a petrel to it as well

full.jpg

Just comes in from the left clips to the right and sits there across my front
NO UNCLIPPING
I just rotate it to look a the computer or the plan or the compass

Redundancy is nice indeed how ever you could say that about every single piece ofk it that you take with you on a dive.
Personally i only dive with the pressure gauge, for the depth i use the integrated one on my Computer, more comfortable and less stuff to carry with you.

Worst case scenario - your computer goes out and you dont know at what depth you are in, you can always use your buddy as a reference (staying in the same level as him) .
Or if you find yourself all alone, make a slow ascent (slower then the bubbles ) and you should be able to stay with in the safe zone .

My depth gauge attached to my pressure gauge stopped working on my last dive trip. I was i initially worried, I had never dived without one. I quickly realized with my computer i didn't need it not did I miss it. I dumped my snorkel 30 years ago, is my depth gauge next? Sure redundancy is nice but is it necessary? Bill
Naked SPG and a computer is all I use for no stop diving. If you are doing decompression I'd have a back up computer. I borrowed a friends piece of crap Sunuto Zoop for a day of diving once. The thing never worked except for the time, which was all I needed to do a couple dives.

In other words, I have a DiveRite pressure gauge in a dual boot if anyone would like to buy it.

Never had a depth gauge, only a computer. I do still use a snorkel though. I actually still snorkel too.

And if the batteries fail ?
No Batteries no brains !
Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles. If one's brain can't manage that, they have no business diving in the first place. Hell even managing an optional safety stop is pretty easy without a depth gauge... looks about 10-20 feet... start counting. :wink:

@CuzzA
And if the batteries fail?
No Batteries no brains !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles. If one's brain can't manage that, they have no business diving in the first place. Hell even managing an optional safety stop is pretty easy without a depth gauge... looks about 10-20 feet... start counting. :wink:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In what diving instructional book did you read that "Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles....."

Accordingly Why a safety stop ? When did a Safety stop become mandatory ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just curious ?

Reactions: Doc
@CuzzA
And if the batteries fail?
No Batteries no brains !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In what diving instructional book did you read that "Make your ascent no faster than your bubbles....."

Accordingly Why a safety stop ? When did a Safety stop become mandatory ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just curious ?
As a contingency it is widely known and taught that if you don't have any way to gauge depth, to ascend no faster than your smallest bubbles. You'll have to go back and read my post as I think you didn't comprehend it. I specifically said optional. But my point was doing a safety stop without a depth gauge is elementary, assuming you can see the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom