Instructor Standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be happy if they just made sure instructors were skilled divers, had a genuin desire to pass on those skills, had alot of experience assisting.

Too many instructors can't dive for crap. They are unable to streighten out the most common problems students have because they haven't a clue. If you want to make more money teaching and still do a good job, the only way is to charge more. Instead they give the class away and do it fast and cheap in order to increase the equipment market.

In my area it is clear that even many instructors primarily dive warm water unless they are teaching. The problem is that cold water and the additional weighting that goes with it requires added techniques to get a handle on trim. Nobody teaches it. Yesterday I saw more divers swimming at angles greater than 45 than under. There problems could be fixed in short order but their instructor didn't enven tell them it was a problem.

IMO, dive training today is a big joke.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Agreed.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I would be happy if they just made sure instructors were skilled divers, had a genuin desire to pass on those skills, had alot of experience assisting.

Too many instructors can't dive for crap. They are unable to streighten out the most common problems students have because they haven't a clue. If you want to make more money teaching and still do a good job, the only way is to charge more. Instead they give the class away and do it fast and cheap in order to increase the equipment market.

In my area it is clear that even many instructors primarily dive warm water unless they are teaching. The problem is that cold water and the additional weighting that goes with it requires added techniques to get a handle on trim. Nobody teaches it. Yesterday I saw more divers swimming at angles greater than 45 than under. There problems could be fixed in short order but their instructor didn't enven tell them it was a problem.

Mike You bring up a good point. I have seen many warm water instructors who would just be amazed at the difference in skills that a cold water diver require given the bulkier equipment. I believe that warm water divers would not fair so well in the cold water equipment environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom