Instructor molested me on first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry for you. You and your sister need to report him to the resort, the agency, and the police. Both of you should make notes while the incident is fresh in your minds and try to recall anything and everyone who was anywhere near the incident or may have seen your reaction/state of mind when you exited the water or while you were in a state of duress. All of these things will help buttress your word, since it is a "he said" /"she said" type of incident. In all likelihood this isn't the first time that this jerk has done this - and he's probably done it in situations that are not dive related also.

I would report this to local law enforcement, if that is what happend, as well as the certifying agency in addition to the boat captain and the hotel/facility where the boat was docked. This behavior is against the policies and procedures of every agency I know. Even a he said she said situation may not result in a direct action, the next person experiencing and reporting such behavior may be sufficient cause for legal action or the suspension of his credentials. The risk for a new diver in your situation is very high especially if your reaction was to panic.
I am sorry for your experience.
DP

In many states in the US, its called assault when someone gropes you without your consent. So yes, Country does matter.

If the assault was sexual in nature, you even get put on fun lists or a sign in your yard.

I have heard of this happening, but only rarely. You should report the instructor to his shop and to the certifying agency so they can investigate the incident. This is uncalled for.

unfortunately, yes, i have heard a few (just a few) stories like yours. i am afraid it happens more often than is reported.

like any sexual assault, this is bound to cause you a lot of grief as you deal with it. i would strongly suggest that you get professional help and don't down play it.

this is a big deal. i am sorry you had to go through this.

I seem to reacll some similar incidents on a cruise boat a couple of years ago. I wonder if they could be related?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread moved to BasicSuba

Last edited:
This could have happened on a guided horseback ride, at a moped rental, tandem skydiving with an instructor, on a ski vacation with a private instructor, in a dark alley, in a restroom at a restaurant, etc...
Reporting it to the agency might eventually prevent this idiot from doing it while scuba-diving, but it won't prevent it from happening again in general.
Police and management should be informed immediately.

Sorry to disagree, but often a first post is something just like this because the incident is what motivated the user to join SB and post. That goes for assault, OOA, bad equipment, etc.

My be but having been on this board since almost day 1 I have seen several threads which turned out to be total BS, the one on Spearit charters a few months back is a good recent example. I am in no way saying this did not happen however, we (the board) have a responcibility to hold judgement until the facts are in from both sides, esp if names are used. SB is huge and has the ability to distroy an operator. I have no problem trashing an op that deserves it and this one may well deserve it but until we have both the she said and the he said, we (the board) need to hold judgement.

I am in no way saying this did not happen however, we (the board) have a responcibility to hold judgement until the facts are in from both sides, esp if names are used.

and i don't know if you actually read what the OP has posted, but she's named no names, so ...

anyway ... i am very glad to see that we as a community can be supportive when someone comes to us and tells us this sort of thing happened to them

at the very least, it can make other divers aware that these things do happen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom