Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand how in the Hell this could happen. When I'm diving deep, I'm constantly checking my air supply, TTR, depth..etc. This article makes it seem like it was something else besides stupidity. ""a disparity between what was planned in terms of breathing rates and what actually happened on the dive". A disparity? why don't you call it what it is, you failed to plan your dive or you failed to dive your plan. Simple as that.
Denial. Not just a river in Egypt.

It takes a very rational mind to admit one's failures. I sincerely hope that I'm that rational, but I wouldn't bet my life savings on it.

Can't get over the author's claim the dive was "meticulously planned". I guess they "meticulously planned" to run out of air simultaneously?

Good thing there isn't a comment section below that article..

"Them Duke boys are at it again......" Meticulously planned my pasty white privileged a$$.

...So, if the divers in question dived to 130 feet, they must have had very high RMVs and/or overstayed and went into deco while not monitoring their gas supply. If they dived deeper, who knows what they did? This is a BBC news article and not a scuba accident investigation. I would imagine one, or probably all, of the divers had dive computers. Personally, I'd really like to see what the dive profile actually looked like.

I posted this a little over a year ago, I think pretty much the same thing today.

""a disparity between what was planned in terms of breathing rates and what actually happened on the dive". A disparity?

The diver in question has developed a distinctly suboptimal respiration pattern. As in, they were breathing.

Interesting article on the divers. I also wondered if BBC got the info wrong...but according to podcast...nope.
A Response to “The Dive That Crushed My Spine” - Art of Scuba Diving
Thank you for this link. It really looks so similar to the story of ours diver, I`d posted here before.
Same suspiction about depth limits break.

we have similar story...
Maxim Sima
Maxim Sima
Maxim Sima
Maxim Sima
please, use "translation" to read it.

This story is equal to Subj. in stupidity and lack of responsibility
This man from Kiev.
He try to accuse physicians, personnel, drivers, everybody, just not himself.
Hi is looking reasons of his problem everywere, but not in his brain.

P.S. read first line in my sign under this message...
may be need to make new thread about Maxim story?

A Friendly Reminder...

Note: a new auto-translated thread on this Russian diver has been created by АлександрД.
"#@$# Idea"->dive->bends->wheel-chair
Enjoy!

Thank you for this link. It really looks so similar to the story of ours diver, I`d posted here before.
Same suspiction about depth limits break.

Not really: the Russian guy is not in denial about anything, he spelled out exactly what he did and how.

I only read pages 1 and 2 then saw there is currently 35 pages, so... did we at some point find a conclusion to what really happened? This thread is over a year old. Ha! Maybe we could find one of the divers on FB and ask?

Back
Top Bottom