Instructor bent after running out of air at 40m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared Silly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Enjoy shedding this story ...

The scuba dive that crushed my spine

It had been meticulously planned - a deep dive for four experienced scuba diving instructors. But halfway through the session, two oxygen tanks ran out, setting off a catastrophic chain of events.

So meticulously planned that not one but two out of gas ... then all four.

Yeah, if I'm in a foursome and out of air the first thing I'm going to do is write notes. It's amazing that four people who couldn't watch their SPGs managed to befriend each other.

The article makes it sound like, "something went wrong," as opposed to, "Darwin cracked a smile as another group of idiots attempt to cleanse the gene pool."

I for one am going to suggest that we all resist the obvious temptations to talk about how absolutely inconceivable it is that 4 scuba instructors would all go completely out of air on a routine dive. For me, it is so utterly inconceivable that I would be further tempted to call BS on it all, but with no clear evidence to the contrary, I will assume it is true.

Once we assume that it is indeed true, what more is there to say?

I want to rip this to shreds but its a bit harsh when the guy is in a chair for the rest of his life. As above plenty of time to write !

Our local Hyperbaric Doc (There's a chamber in Tobermory) has a saying... "We can fix bent. We can't fix dead". He's a big proponent for getting the hell up when all else fails.

I'd love to know more about the treatment run and subsequent hyperbaric treatments. I know that hits are unpredictable, but four hours isn't an obscenely long time. It's a little difficult to understand how the resulting injury would be so catastrophic. I would have expected weeks of treatments being involved.

What's even harder to understand, is how four so-called Instructors can all run out of air. I'd love to know what cereal boxes they cut their c-cards out of. Sad...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom