Norway Diving: Lofoten Islands and Saltstraumen Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
TLDR: I went to Norway for two weeks in August, sightseeing and scuba diving. I dove at Ballstad in the Lofoten Islands, and at Saltstraumen, both places above the Arctic Circle. It was terrific! Photos are at the end of this post. :p

Part 1. The Diving Trip Overview

I dive a lot in the US Pacific Northwest and was looking for some out-of-the-way cold-water diving in the Arctic, maybe an expedition cruise or organized trip. But everything was astronomically expensive and nothing offered the amount of diving I was looking for, so I designed my own trip.

I’ll cut right to the diving deets, with other trip details at the end…

The diving was excellent, both in the Lofoten Islands and Saltstraumen. Overall, the water was nicely clear on most dives, 10-20m (30-60ft) vis, with exciting thermoclines typically around 20m (60ft). I brought my own drysuit with a Weezle Extreme+ undergarment, which was over-kill except in Saltstraumen. The water is more saline than in the Pacific -- you can taste the difference -- and you may need to add extra weight to compensate. Weather was mixed, most days partially cloudy with sun breaks, occasional mist or rain, and temperatures surprisingly warm, 15-22C (59-72F). I was there in mid- to late-August, and was told it was already past “the end of summer.” Just before I arrived the temperatures had soared above 28C (82F). I was roasting in the drysuit as it was, so I’m glad I missed that. The previous year the weather was apparently crappy all summer, so you get what you get.

There’s so much to see there, below and above the water, that a combined dive/sightseeing trip is a wonderful way to go. I’ll post some screen shots here but it’s going to take a lot longer to put together the videos.

Part 2. Ballstad, Lofoten Islands

Diving with Lofoten Diving, 4 days/8 dives. Instructors Daniel and Blauchet (spelling?) do an amazing job of coordinating snorkelers and divers who come with a huge range of experience, from beginners and Discover Scuba clients through advanced and technical divers. All their clientele were from Europe; I didn’t meet any other Americans or Norwegians (more on that later). The dive operation has an excellent selection of rental equipment, including wetsuits and drysuits. I didn’t see or ask about nitrox. Tanks are 12L 7” HP 230bar DIN. On my dives, I was the only diver who brought their own gear, and had far more logged dives that any other guest. Seems like a lot of the divers are just there for a day or two and decided to try something different; a lot of them had maybe 20 logged dives, the last being a year or two ago. That’s okay because the conditions are great for that level of experience.

The dive areas are around the small islands near Ballstad, which faces the Western Fjord, the area of water between the Lofoten archipelago and mainland Norway. The fjord and protected islands limit the fetch, creating calm conditions unless the weather really picks up. All diving is off a RIB, holding maybe 10-12 passengers max, although you could probably rent tanks and go somewhere shore-based on your own if you had something in mind. Travel time to the dive sites is usually about 15-25 minutes, and entry is via back-roll off the boat. There were no negative entries. The boat is typically anchored during the dives, and the anchor line provides a convenient reference for decent and ascent. Getting back in the boat is an ungraceful belly-flop for those of us who are more walrus than mermaid.

Water temperatures in were generally around 12-14C (53-57F), once dipping to 8C (46F) below the thermocline. There was virtually no current on any dive. Visibility is good to excellent, usually 15 meters or better. The bottom was always visible on every dive, and although there are lots of walls, there aren’t any abyssal bottomless places. Max possible depth on most dives is maybe 30 meters (100ft).

The attraction here is the topology. Canyons, small walls covered in purple coralline algae, swim-throughs, islands, and rocks form a never-ending maze of places to explore, some with beautiful lighting and geology. There is a least one small wreck at the Klubben dive site with some history to it. If the group is small and experienced, ask them to take you to the “Pig Farm” island dive site, Svinøya, which is a little farther out but has wonderful structure and often better vis. The Brannholm site has a wonderful maze of deep canyons.

Sea life is prolific, but the ecosystem is dominated by a few key species. Many sites are covered in a kind of kelp-on-a-stick, which I think is a species of Tangle Kelp (Laminaria hyperborean) looking like a palm tree on a 1-2m stalk. It forms wonderful passages and cathedrals among the rocks, with smaller critters like crabs and nudibranchs hidden among the fronds, and the occasional fierce-looking anglerfish on the bottom. Softball-sized urchins are everywhere, an invasive species. Global warming and changing ocean conditions have changed the water temperatures over the past few years; I was told that the ocean temperature never got above 12C until a few years ago, but now we had dives that never got below 14C. At least one species of fish that is frequent in warmer waters farther south has moved northward and is now common in Lofoten.

I spent four days diving out of Ballstad and thought that was a good amount of time for a serious diver. Although we re-visited some of the sites several times, they all have different paths and structures to explore, so you can go to a site and not see the same thing twice. For casual divers who are in the area, a day or two would probably be enough. I would recommend doing a full two-dive day rather than a single dive on one day, since a lot of the effort for incoming divers is getting geared-up and doing buoyancy checks. Once you’ve got the gear dialed-in, the next dives are easier and more enjoyable.

Ballstad itself is a small town with few amenities. A local chain store, Joker (“Yoker”) and a cafe are available, a hotel restaurant, along with lots of rental cabins, lodges, and places to stay. Fishing is still a big industry here, but many of the old fishing cabins are being converted into vacation rentals, even as new cabins are being built. Ballstad is far enough away from the main “highway”, E10 (often little more than one lane wide), so that it doesn’t get nearly the traffic and congestion of other towns in Lofoten. It's kind of a peaceful end-of-the-road retreat. Nearby Gravdal, 5km up the road, has more services, including a Bunnpris grocery store which is better stocked and about 25% cheaper than the Joker store, and an YX self-service gas station.

I decided to pay a bit extra and stayed at the swanky Hattvika Lodge (highly recommended), overlooking the bay and just down the street from Lofoten Diving. Wherever you stay, make sure your lodging includes a kitchen since a nice diner out can easily cost $75 per meal before drinks, and a lot more if you’re not careful. As in most of Norway, a single glass of beer may set you back $15USD, although the non-alcoholic varieties are actually cheaper than in the States and rather good. If you’re on a budget at all, plan on stocking up at Bunnpris and cooking your own meals. Hattvika offers both sleek individual cabins without a kitchen, and lodge rooms that are essentially rustic one-bedroom apartments but with nice appliances and decor, which is where I stayed. Around the Ballstad area are lots of other recreational opportunities for non-diving partners, like hiking, kayaking, saunas and spas, and a few local art galleries.

01a_ballstad_harbor.png
02_lofoten3.jpg
03_lofoten_view1.jpg
04_lofoten2.jpg
05_lofoten_diving1.jpg

Part 3. Saltstraumen, near Bodø

Saltstraumen is famous for having the fasted measured tidal currents in the world. Those currents feed a lot of life, but diving is always on the slack tide, or nearly slack. On high-exchange days around the full moon the slack interval may not be long enough to have a safe or meaningful dive, so plan accordingly. I scheduled my trip there to overlap with the halfmoon for longer slacks and easier dives.

This is advanced diving. Even in the best conditions there may be currents, and some of the walls drop vertically into infinity and darkness. It’s thrilling! Temperatures are colder due to the extreme upwellings; I did three dives at Saltstraumen with NORD&NE and the low temperatures ranged between 7C to 9C (44-48F). Vis was from 10-25m (30-75ft). There are multiple dive sites on either side of the channel, some reached by car, some by boat, plus the dive center’s dock itself. The dive operation has rental gear and drysuits, but the selection is more limited than over in Lofoten. Typical tanks are high pressure 12L 300 bar DIN style, and they crank them up to the full 300 bar (4350 psi). The rental drysuits are neoprene, although Fredric, the owner, lent me an old trilam of his after I had a cuff seal fail on my drysuit. Fredric is extremely knowledgeable and thoughtful, attacking diving with great passion and helping guests in any way he can. NORD&NE is highly recommended!

Every square inch under the surface is covered in life, and life growing on life. Kelp on barnacles on mussels on hard algae. Schools of fish. Bizarre critters you might not see elsewhere, such as stalked jellyfish. Small nudibranchs, various snails, and millions of small anemones. Oddly, although there are some larger nudis, the level of gigantism doesn’t seem a much as, say, what you might see in the Pacific Northwest. Most of the anemones, and there are lots of them, are small, about fist-sized. Even so, the sheer walls and density of life at some locations is comparable to some of the best cold-water diving destinations anywhere.

Just off the dock are multiple cameras set up to monitor wolffish dens, the subjects of a long-term study. Wolffishes are similar to the wolf eels found along the PNW and Canadian coast, although a bit shorter and stockier. One of the interesting things that has come out of this study is that the wolffish eggs are extremely sensitive to light. The exact spectra that kills the eggs isn’t known, but researchers now use red lights exclusively for studying them and ask that divers don’t use bright white lights when looking at the wolffish dens. I wonder if this should apply to PNW wolf eels as well?

If I went back to Saltstraumen I would probably plan on at least six dives or three days. Of the three dives I did, the final dive at Laukenggrunnen (there may be another, more specific name for the site) was the highlight of the entire trip: Walls straight down to infinity, layers and striations in the rock walls, and huge rounded vertical holes ground into the rock by glaciation, all covered in life (I stopped at a max depth of 102ft as my computer was having NDL angst, but there was a lot more to see deeper down). The combination of geology, life, and high-voltage diving was amazing!

I stayed at the nearby Saltstraumen Hotel ($130USD/night), which had basic rooms but a friendly staff, and included breakfast. A must-do at Saltstraumen is to walk across the bridge during the strongest part of the tidal exchange just to see the ‘maelstrom’, or whirlpools that form in the current.

Fredric mentioned that in any given year, he and other local divers pull up several hundred kilos (not a typo!) of lost lures, monofilament, and fishing gear. I watched him collect more during our dives, and noted fishermen all along the shoreline. The lack of any Marine Protected Area (MPA) in all of Norway is clearly frustrating to him. Even as he tries to protect the study area and Saltstraumen from over-exploitation, anyone can still come along and fish or spearfish anywhere they please. Theoretically there is a designated 24 square km marine conservation area there, but the regulations are so loose and there are so many exceptions in the fine print that it’s effectively meaningless. Given their heritage of fishing, the Norwegian resistance to MPAs is not surprising but it is disappointing. I suspect that increased tourism may change some attitudes in the future, but in the meantime it’s a free-for-all.

01_saltstraumen2.jpg
02_saltstraumen1.jpg
02a_saltstraumen_map.jpg
03_ripnes_divers1.png
04_ripnes_divers2.png

Part 4. Personal Notes and Traveling Tips

I was in Norway for two weeks, my first trip there. Seven of those days were for diving, and the rest either traveling or sightseeing. Most Norwegians know some English, and even reading the signs in Norwegian starts to click if you give it a try. Getting around was never a problem, and I never felt unsafe.

Even with good diving, there’s only a handful of dive operations offering guided recreational trips in all of Norway. Oddly, the lack of recreational diving operations might be because of the generosity of the government. Local dive clubs apparently receive support to purchase a compressor or other gear, whereas businesses are on their own. That’s why you’ll find lots of local diving clubs, but few shops; why pay someone when you can dive for free? I met divers from every country in Europe, but no Norwegian guests. Perhaps someone more familiar with the situation can explain this in more depth or correct me if I’m misunderstanding the situation.

Coming from the Pacific Northwest, I can’t help but compare Norway diving to what we have here. On a good dive on Vancouver Island or even Keystone Jetty you’ll see more species of, well, everything, than you would in Ballstad. The tradeoff is, perhaps, better visibility, unique species that you might not see elsewhere, interesting underwater structures, and the novelty of diving above the Arctic Circle. That said, the Lofoten archipelago is one of the most picturesque and incredible places in the world, and I think you should put it on your bucket list, even if you don’t dive. Saltstraumen, on the other hand, has an amazing density of life and good biodiversity. If I lived in Europe, I’d be up at Saltstraumen repeatedly. In the United States or Canada, it's probably most comparable with Vancouver Island and Browning Pass.

In addition to the diving in northern Norway I spent two full days in Oslo and thoroughly enjoyed it. Two days seemed like enough, it’s a busy place. There are a lot of museums and attractions, including the Munch Museum, the Fram museum, and the bizarre, whimsical, and somewhat disturbing Vigeland outdoor sculpture park. Transportation is easy and cheap via bus, tram or ferry. Taxis will cost you dearly. Hotels cost about the same as any big city but eating out can be eye-poppingly expensive (one restaurant near the train station offered sandwiches for $65USD, yikes!). I also spent a day in Trondheim, which is a lovely Amsterdam-like city.

Suggestions:
  • If you’re visiting Oslo for 1-3 days, look into getting an Oslo Pass. It’s a phone app that gets you into museums and transportation for free, once you’ve paid and activated the pass. It probably won’t save you any money but it sure is convenient.
  • Go to the museums in Oslo early, first thing. You’ll have a much better experience before the crowds get there, and might even have the best exhibits to yourself for a while.
  • If you want to explore Norway extensively without being stuck using hotels, rent a camper van. These things are everywhere, especially in Lofoten, and you can pull off the road at any wide spot and camp for the night. Outside your door will be some of the most spectacular scenery on earth.
  • If you’re going to be in a hotel or lodge for more than a couple nights, get someplace with a kitchen (see note above on the expense of eating out).
  • Summer, particularly August, is busy in all of Europe. Things book up. I reserved everything in December, eight months beforehand, and pretty much got my pick of hotels, rooms, airline seats, etc. at decent prices.
  • Rent a car somewhere and drive the E10 road through the Lofoten islands. Plan on taking several days, at the very least. Just do it. Do it now.
  • Take the FlyToGet train from the airport to downtown Oslo. It’s fast and runs often, and spits you out at the central station. $23. You can buy an eTicket ahead of time and have the valid QR code on your phone.
  • Thon Hotels is a big chain all around Norway. In Oslo, I stayed at the Thon Astoria (not really recommended, the room was too small, too expensive) and the Thon Terminus (very recommended, clean and comfy, and less expensive than the Astoria, albeit still a small room), YMMV. Both hotels are within easy walking distance to the central train station. The one thing that really stands out about the Thon hotel chain is their breakfast buffet, which is included in the price: It’s amazing! You will definitely find something good to eat there. For about $10 they’ll pack you a lunch too, or you can just do what the rest of us do and take a handful of croissants and goodies with you.
Takk!

Wonderful! Thanks for the write up and photos. Amazing visibility, I’m a bit surprised by that.

Regarding driving in Lofoten, I have a pretty strong fear of heights. Do the roads there stick to the waterside and valleys, or would my wife have to drive that area, lol. We’re hoping to make the trip within the next 2 years, but I think next year will be back to the PNW, she misses Rainier and the Olympics terribly. Yes, she will be doing some driving, 😁.

Really looking forward to your videos.

Erik

Do the roads there stick to the waterside and valleys, or would my wife have to drive that area, lol.
All the roads are in the valleys, even under the valleys. The number of bridges and tunnels is amazing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom