Diving and Hiking in Lofoten Islands and Bodø

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

I'm looking for some adventurous, out-of-the way diving, especially the Arctic, Greenland, or perhaps Norway. (Iceland was fun!)

Norway sounds great because it has a lot to see, maybe good diving, and some great hiking. I'm especially interested in the Lofoten Islands, and maybe Bodø too. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. There's some older posts on Scubaboard about Norway diving but thought I'd ping everyone for an update:
  • Best time of year to go? The best time for me is between April and June, but could maybe go at another time.
  • I see Lofoten has a scuba shop, Lofoten Diving. Have you gone with them? Reviews of the area and dive sites?
  • How was Bodø? Worth a visit too? Recommended dive operations?
  • Anyplace else that is a 'must see' in the area? Either diving or hiking?
Norway is huge and I won't have more than a couple weeks, so I'd prefer to base myself in one region and maybe take day trips. My main interest is diving, but I'd also like to hike and explore on the non-diving days.

(Before anyone asks, yes, I know it's cold water. Yes, I am a drysuit diver. Snorkeling with the orcas sounds fun, maybe on another trip.)

Cheers!

I have not been to Lofoten.
It would not be my first choice for diving in Norway even though its probably good, but one of the nicest places for hiking.

If you want to experience the best diving in Norway, in my opinion, you should go to Saltstraumen outside Bodø.
Its a unique place with one of the worlds strongest diveable maelstroms.
You have to dive with people that know the currents and the tides.
You should contact Fredric at NORDogNE divecenter in Saltstraumen.

I am a norwegian with a lot of dives around Norway and I dived with Fredric 1 year ago.
I think its the best diving in Norway, with strong currents, walls of fish, lots of nudies, big wolf-fish and beautiful formations.

The best time to dive in Norway is august-september, when the water is still "warm" with a lot of life.
If you plan to go in April-June I think you should go as late as possible.

Mortenscuba

Hi all,

This trip is on! Mid-August for two weeks.

Along with hiking and sight seeing, I'll be diving in Lofoten for a few days and then with Nord&NE at Saltstraumen.

The best time to dive in Norway is august-september, when the water is still "warm" with a lot of life.

Thanks! Fredric helped me set up some dives.

More questions for you or anyone who may know:

- I've read that August ocean temperatures are about 12C in Bodo/Lofoten. Is this good information? I'm trying to decide if I should bring my thick drysuit insulation.

- On the morning of August 17th I'll be near Harstad and would love to see the wreck of the Belgica. Is it possible to snorkel the Belgica?

Cheers!

It can be colder.
You should bring your thick drysuit insulation.
In Saltstraumen it can be colder sometimes during the dives because of all the water comming up from the deep.
Coldest temperature I had there was 6C.
I dived there in August.

Reactions: g2
Lofoten is the site of some iconic fishing village photos and Northern Lights. Bring the camera!

You should bring your thick drysuit insulation.

Thanks, this is helpful. I thought there might be some upwellings.

Bring the camera!

Ya! Packed. If I get anything good I'll post pictures.

I'm really looking forward to this. Even if I do nothing but hike, take pictures, and meet people, I think it will be good.

Even if you do nothing but hike, take pictures, and meet people…..we want to see pictures!

Have a great trip!!

Erik

Hi All!

I posted a trip report in a separate thread, with pictures.

Lofoten is the site of some iconic fishing village photos and Northern Lights. Bring the camera!

Even if you do nothing but hike, take pictures, and meet people…..we want to see pictures!

Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom